Honda Rebel 300 & 500 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've always just grabbed my tool box when I needed to do something... but looking into how to adjust the rear suspension preload, I saw in the manual what appeared to be a pin spanner wrench in the picture of the tool kit beneath the seat.

So I went out to get it, and it's not there. In fact, the ONLY "tool" under my seat is the screwdriver. And technically, the manual bag and rubber strap are part of the kit, and I have those... and the allen key behind the right panel.

But according to the OEM parts list, I'm missing quite a bit, as I only have #s 2-4 and 10.

http://www.hondapartshouse.com/oemparts/a/hon/58e2bc2487a866054c370c0f/tool

·
Registered
35 Posts
I actually was reading the manual today, and in the USA that IS the supplied tool kit.

Canada is supplied a full under seat tool kit, but apparently USA is not?

I have no idea why this is the case. anyone out there have an inkling?

now I feel like I want to collect the Canadian tool kit.

·
Registered
527 Posts
Likewise, I've only seen the screwdriver under my seat. Didn't even look for the allen key.
Seeing that I have a whole garage full of tools I never really cared to push the issue, but yea, is kind of annoying to see all the tools listed in the manual and realizing you're missing quite a bit.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Honda USA made the change to "minimal" tool kits in 2006, probably at the request of the stealerships. The tools were "roadside only" quality, so you are not missing much. I have a toolroll that I pack with me when touring or off-road. That gets me to Craftsman grade tools for travel.

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I can understand not including common tools like the basic wrenches (and what's the logic of including the screwdriver bit, but not the handle?), but to not include the pin spanner that specifically fits the rear shocks?

Not everyone has a pin spanner, or a fuse puller, or a spark plug wrench...

In the meantime, I need to pick up a pin spanner... anyone know what size I need?

·
Super Moderator
983 Posts
I can understand not including common tools like the basic wrenches (and what's the logic of including the screwdriver bit, but not the handle?), but to not include the pin spanner that specifically fits the rear shocks?

In the meantime, I need to pick up a pin spanner... anyone know what size I need?
When I had my seat off, near the red plug there is a fuse puller & a little handle.
Not sure what the handle is?

·
Registered
35 Posts

When I had my seat off, near the red plug there is a fuse puller & a little handle.
Not sure what the handle is?

ahahhaha, you two are so cute...

between the two of you, you almost got it.

The screw driver bit in the seat, combines with the handle next to the fuse puller, to create the screw driver ya'll...

Japanese are crazy like that and make things in parts sometimes.

Still though, I'm going to collect the tool set linked in the original post to add it under my seat just in case i need it on a road side type situation.

·
Super Moderator
983 Posts
ahahhaha, you two are so cute...

between the two of you, you almost got it.

The screw driver bit in the seat, combines with the handle next to the fuse puller, to create the screw driver ya'll...

Japanese are crazy like that and make things in parts sometimes.

Still though, I'm going to collect the tool set linked in the original post to add it under my seat just in case i need it on a road side type situation.

Geezzzz! I was never any good at jigsaw puzzles or meccano either...

·
Registered
35 Posts
Did you miss the part where I said the screw driver bit is the ONLY tool under my seat? ;)

There is no handle, no fuse puller, no wrenches...

that's because those tools aren't fastened under the seat, they are on top of the battery cover, which is under the seat ;)

its okay tho, they are the exact same color as the battery cover and you probably just assumed they were part of it.

no one in the USA gets wrenches tho... just the driver bit, the handle, and the fuse puller.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts