Honda Rebel 300 & 500 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking at purchasing Radiant Cycles shorty GP exhaust from eBay.
Looks like an easy fit and the tone of the pipe sounds great.
Anyone purchased one?

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
1,655 Posts
Don't believe anyone here on the forum has fitted such a short stud of a pipe on their rebel yet.
But that thing will be reeeally loud, and provide no back pressure at all, so be aware.
And btw, 62 for that thing? Ain't exactly cheap I'd say, for so little...

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Don't believe anyone here on the forum has fitted such a short stud of a pipe on their rebel yet.
But that thing will be reeeally loud, and provide no back pressure at all, so be aware.
Any you'd recommend?

·
Super Moderator
1,655 Posts
Better back pressure then ?
Appreciate the info.
Can you recommend any other exhausts
How about the TBR or the Diablo
I'll quote myself from another thread in regards of back pressure, should contain what you need to know:
"Some are experiencing a mid-range lag when applying throttle/speed within the first 3-5 minuts of starting to drive the bike.
This is due to the fact that the engine isn't getting as much back pressure as it does with the stock muffler.
The bike however has a oxygen sensor that reads the exhaust leaving the bike, and detects irregularities in the reading, and thus the brain of the bike starts to compensate this with changing mixture, timing, etc, to get it's reading back to normal, thus eliminating the mid-rang lag eventually.
All in all, hard to say what a long term consequence of this might be, if any at all. In general in the everyday life thou it might be annoying for most?

As in a means of gain however, most say they tend to pull further on the gears now, as of before with the stock muffler. That itself isn't directly any gain won by a different muffler, correct me if I'm wrong?
Perhaps the stock muffler gives too much back pressure when trying to stretch the gears, making the bike struggle a bit more, thus making people change early? This might just be the case, but it's all just speculations from my part here, so don't take my word for it.

But to get more out of the bike, or in worst case, to keep what you originaly had of power, you would have to have a re-mapping of the bike. Meaning: Using a device/program to adjust the brains behavior pattern to work with the new exhaust piece."

As for other exhaust, it seems that the TBR piece is one of a few exhaust out there that provides a good back pressure as the stock does.
But as you might be woundering after reading about the whole back pressure issue, it ain't really that much of an issue, as far as we know anyway. I don't know enough about it to be able to say if there will be any issue with the bike further down the road due to driving with low back pressure. Only time will show.
So until then, go with what your heart desiree? Be it looks or the price.

BUT! As for the Diablo one's however, I would advice to stear clear of them, since all they do is get really cheap ones that is already out there, and paints them black and stamps their name on it and re-sell it at a high profit. They might include an elbow so that it fits the bike, but that's one expensive piece of elbow compaired to what the exhaust piece it self cost on Ebay.

Take a look at this thread:
http://www.hondarebel3forum.com/forum/665-accessories-add-ons/3833-available-exhaust.html

·
Registered
59 Posts
Do you have the 300 or 500 Rebel?
I have experience with the GP shorty and I highly recommend it for a 500 but not for the 300 Rebel if you want a loud exhaust.
The 500 catalytic converter is located in a different place than the 300.
On the 300 when you remove the stock muffler you also remove the catalytic converter because the catalytic converter is inside the muffler.
On the 500 the catalytic converter is located outside of the muffler so its left still on the bike when the muffler is removed.

Its a similar situation with the Yamaha R3

Attachments

·
Registered
8 Posts
I did ! As warmer days are slowly coming, I fitted her with the Radiant exhaust and rode for a bit.

The sound is awesome, agressive and super loud, aaaaand that's why I put back the stock exhaust...

I like my exhaust to be loud, but the Radiant is just TOO loud and I don't want to risk being caught by the police (yup, you get a nice fine here for non-homologated exhaust that goes over a certain decibel limit) or being murdered by my neighbours haha

In addition to that, when you let go of the throttle, the exhaust "gurgles" very loudly, too much imo.

(Concerning the back pressure, I found little to no difference with the stock exhaust)

Hope it helps !

Phil

·
Registered
59 Posts
Hi,

I have purchased it, i use it on and off with another Mussari pipe.

This radian cycles is really short. The noise is high, but after a few minutes you get used to it. I drove many miles with it, i did not notice any problems.

The price you have there is off. I got mine from ebay for 44 pounds shipping included.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Yes there is silencing material inside the GP exhaust but not very much.
The shorty GP exhaust seems a lot louder to the rider than it actually is because its so short it cuts off where the rider sits blasting the rider instead of back behind the rider. I'm sure that most aftermarket exhaust for the Rebel 500 are just as loud but sit further back away from the rider making them seem quieter compared to the GP Shorty

·
Registered
118 Posts
I installed my shorty today from Radiant. Love it.....and I'm the guy who first drilled out my baffle in the stock muffler!
What's not to love? Sounds as close to perfect on my 500 as I hoped for, looks good, sub $60.
Painting bracket now with two coats of heat resistant paint then I'll remount it and ride again in hopefully 3hrs or so.

I highly recommend. Loud Pipes Save Lives

Sent from my RCT6303W87DK using Tapatalk

1 - 18 of 18 Posts