Honda Rebel 300 & 500 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
814 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have been able to test my setup a bit so I figured I would write a mini review.
I installed this setup but when I bought it I bought the parts seperate.
https://www.amazon.com/VOSICKY-headlights-Daymaker-Davidson-motorcycle/dp/B01MRZSEMM/ref=sr_1_48?ie=UTF8&qid=1497870185&sr=8-48&keywords=5.75"+led+motorcycle+headlight

The install looks easy, untill you see that the brackets don't fit around the fork without modification. And even though the stock headlight is 5.75" this will also have to be modded because it is isn't the same width as the forks. So I had to buy some different screws to get everything to fit.
You could possibly get this headlight to mount in the factory housing but you would need to either find a ring bracket or make something to actually hold it in place.

The headlight I got says it is DOT approved. I am not sure if it really is, or if the chinese company who made it just printed that.

So here are the Pros and Cons to this install

Pros
1. Very bright. It is much brighter than the stock headlight.
2. The high beam illuminates earth. During the day it didn't look like the high beams were going to do anything. But during night time riding I was amazed at how far these things threw light.
3. Looks. This is personal opinion but I think it looks so much better. The stock headlight housing is gigantic, and the silver ring when the rest of the bike is black seems very out of place.
4. The headlight has a second Amber colored Halo ring. This can be wired in to you turn signals so that it blinks with the turn signals. ( I have not done this yet because I need to get relays for the turn signals. Once I do I will post the results)

Cons
1. The headlight is plastic as opposed to glass like the stock one. Not sure how it will hold up over time.
2. While the low beam is brighter I don't think it actually lights up the road quite as far as I would like. It lights up signs no problem but I would prefer a bit more throw on the road itself. I don't want to adjust it any higher because I don't want to blind riders in front of me.
3. The Halo light seems to trigger the headlight out on the bike. Causing it to turn on and off. I will need to get a LED resistor to fix this.
4. The housing fits the headlight and the direct headlight wiring. The stock headlight housing has an obscene amount of wires in it that you will have to somehow manage. I am not going to lie, it is a pain to do so.

Notes: This bike doesn't have seperate Daytime Running Lights. So to use the halo you would need to wire in a switch to the low beam because the halo is made to run when the low beam is off.
A 7" version may fit with less modification. It will be bigger than the stock headlight but it should work fine.

Attachments

·
Registered
316 Posts
Great review, I think it looks great, I may need to get this for my bike since we drive a lot of country roads here and more light is a good thing. Thanks!

·
Registered
814 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Nah, is it? Because you changed the whole housing and everything, no? This is just the glass itself, not the whole piece.
it looks drop in to me - but at that price im afraid to try :(
If you notice in the second picture in that link the Headlight is already mounted in a different housing.

It isn't drop in because there is no way to correctly mount that headlight into the stock housing.

·
Super Moderator
1,655 Posts
it looks drop in to me - but at that price im afraid to try :(
Had a look at the pictures again here, and notised just now that the pictures shows it as a whole unit, with the back cover and everything, hmm... That's no drop in, in that case.
But, an actuall drop in replacement should not be out of the question, as seen from the diagram of the original headlight:
2017 Honda CMX500 A HEADLIGHT | Babbitts Honda Partshouse

Just get a model specific LED replacement glass instead, and voila, done deal, without the throuble of what to do with all the wiring behind the headlight.

·
Super Moderator
1,655 Posts
If you notice in the second picture in that link the Headlight is already mounted in a different housing.

It isn't drop in because there is no way to correctly mount that headlight into the stock housing.
Yeah first time around I didn't notice that there was other pictures. Just noticed it now.

·
Registered
814 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Had a look at the pictures again here, and notised just now that the pictures shows it as a whole unit, with the back cover and everything, hmm... That's no drop in, in that case.
But, an actuall drop in replacement should not be out of the question, as seen from the diagram of the original headlight:
2017 Honda CMX500 A HEADLIGHT | Babbitts Honda Partshouse

Just get a model specific LED replacement glass instead, and voila, done deal, without the throuble of what to do with all the wiring behind the headlight.
The problem is there is no other option to replace the whole unit.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts