Honda Rebel 300 & 500 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I had my break in oil change and first service done last fall then put about 500 miles on it before winter rudely interrupted the joy of riding. Is it necessary to change the oil and filter before breaking it out of its winter slumber? I did put synthetic in it if that makes a difference.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
88 Posts
Generally speaking, fresh oil is cheap insurance for the overall health of your engine. Did you start it and let it idle at all during storage?

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Generally speaking, fresh oil is cheap insurance for the overall health of your engine. Did you start it and let it idle at all during storage?

A few times, yes. Filter too or just oil. I figure at least the filter would still be good.

·
Registered
88 Posts
A few times, yes. Filter too or just oil. I figure at least the filter would still be good.

Then absolutely change both. Starting an engine and not getting it hot enough to eliminate the condensation, which would require driving on the highway or equivalent for 10-15 minutes after it's already gotten warm, will cause those contaminants to sit there and ruin the oil. Condensation in oil leads to acids, and vehicles should realistically either not ever be started or driven at least once a week as described during any storage period.

·
Registered
86 Posts
So I had my break in oil change and first service done last fall then put about 500 miles on it before winter rudely interrupted the joy of riding. Is it necessary to change the oil and filter before breaking it out of its winter slumber? I did put synthetic in it if that makes a difference.

What synthetic did you use? Was it JASO-MA certified? What weight viscosity?

I wouldn't change the oil again. Honda states the intervals are 8,000 miles between oil change services... You can always look and feel your oil, and see what condition it's in. I can't imagine it's not still brand new. I personally wouldn't change it.. I used GN4 and go by mileage, more than age, of the oils. (to most people's dismay)

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What synthetic did you use? Was it JASO-MA certified? What weight viscosity?

I wouldn't change the oil again. Honda states the intervals are 8,000 miles between oil change services... You can always look and feel your oil, and see what condition it's in. I can't imagine it's not still brand new. I personally wouldn't change it.. I used GN4 and go by mileage, more than age, of the oils. (to most people's dismay)

The dealership did it so I assume they used whatever is correct for the bike.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I plan on changing mine once a year, since it's doubtful i'll put 8k miles on it in any given calendar year.
There's nothing wrong with that at all so long as you don't start the bike up after the oil change. Drop and replace the oil after your last ride of the season and leave it off until you ride again next year and there won't be any problem.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
789 Posts
I don't actually "store" my bike in the winter. naturally i don't ride in the snow, but there are plenty of 40F days scattered throughout winter I just layer up and ride an hour or so once a week or whatever to keep things going.
but if I did I totally get what you're saying

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Okay, now you're totally contradicting yourself:

Honda GN4 10W-30 is correct for the bike, NOT SYNTHETIC. Can't be both, so someone is lying to you... :surprise:

Didn’t contradict myself. Read the last sentence of original post. Just out of curiosity, why can you put synthetic in a car that doesn’t actually call for it but not a bike. Not sure why the dealership would offer it if it wasn’t ok.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
86 Posts
Didn’t contradict myself. Read the last sentence of original post. Just out of curiosity, why can you put synthetic in a car that doesn’t actually call for it but not a bike. Not sure why the dealership would offer it if it wasn’t ok.
Okay, sorry for saying you contradicted yourself. You can do whatever you want. I don't know, Profit?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts