Honda Rebel 300 & 500 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all

My first post! New CMX500 arrived in my drive this week. I’m just getting around to removing the pillion seat and foot pegs, however they are bolted on so tight!

Any advice on how to unfasten them without doing any damage to the allen key, bolt or (!) bike?

Cheers

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Grum,

I had to use a 2' breaker bar and you will need a set of metric Allen Sockets. If that doesn't bust loose the first one that you attempt, try a soldering iron with the the tip cleaned and placed in the very center of the Allen bolt. If you have any hearing left you may be able to hear when the thread sealer sizzle when it breaks loose.

Good Luck

Kenny G

·
Registered
136 Posts
I did what Kenny did- breaker bar and metric Allen sockets.

For things that are really stuck I break out my air wrench.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
136 Posts
Harbor freight. Impact set. 1/2" drive. Allen socket set. Cheap as **** and last forever. Don't buy a rachet from them. Get a base model from home Depot or Lowe's Kobalt/ Rigid/HDX and boom, you can now do 95% of required maintenance.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Harbor freight. Impact set. 1/2" drive. Allen socket set. Cheap as **** and last forever. Don't buy a rachet from them. Get a base model from home Depot or Lowe's Kobalt/ Rigid/HDX and boom, you can now do 95% of required maintenance.

I think I'm going to have to invest in an impact wrench myself. I'm currently waiting for my neighbor to get home so I can borrow his. I need to adjust my chain (it's about 1/8" too much slack), and I tried for 30 minutes to loosen that axle nut and it won't budge! When I got my rear tire replaced they really torqued that nut down!

-CG

·
Registered
136 Posts
I really hope I'm not the only one that's confused as **** right now. The US Rebel comes with a two piece screwdriver, 5mm hex key, and fuse puller. The "rest" of the toolkit is standard everywhere else but the US. If you have a bolt that is tough to get out, none of that stuff is going to help. You need leverage. You need a breaker bar.

You said the bike was in your driveway and then you said you need to get the bike first. Either English isn't your first language or it isn't mine. I feel like I have early onset Alzheimer's over here.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I really hope I'm not the only one that's confused as **** right now. The US Rebel comes with a two piece screwdriver, 5mm hex key, and fuse puller. The "rest" of the toolkit is standard everywhere else but the US. If you have a bolt that is tough to get out, none of that stuff is going to help. You need leverage. You need a breaker bar.

You said the bike was in your driveway and then you said you need to get the bike first. Either English isn't your first language or it isn't mine. I feel like I have early onset Alzheimer's over here.
Real sorry if my poor English confused you mate.

1. I asked for advice on removing the bolt on my new bike.

2. Was given some helpful advice.

3. I made a bit of a lame joke, insinuating that I'll need my wife's approval to spend more money (on tools), after having just spent a bunch of it on a new bike.

Perhaps I should have worded my lame joke more carefully? Will strive to do better in future.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Shanfara he said he has the bike, then wants new tools but must convince his wife to let him buy them "(after bike purchase)", ie after having already spent the money on the bike.

In Australia, New Zealand and the UK (and probably other placed outside the US) the pillion seat and foot pegs come standard with the bike. I removed mine when I bought it and have them in a box in case I need to put them back on for resale or trade in.

·
Registered
136 Posts
There hero I need, but don't deserve.
Shanfara he said he has the bike, then wants new tools but must convince his wife to let him buy them "(after bike purchase)", ie after having already spent the money on the bike.

In Australia, New Zealand and the UK (and probably other placed outside the US) the pillion seat and foot pegs come standard with the bike. I removed mine when I bought it and have them in a box in case I need to put them back on for resale or trade in.

·
Super Moderator
954 Posts

(“You said the bike was in your driveway and then you said you need to get the bike first”). Either English isn't your first language or it isn't mine. I feel like I have early onset Alzheimer's over here

Sorry, but I can’t find on this thread where he stated the above?

·
Registered
132 Posts
Today I´ve inspected my rebel´s bolts and nuts whith my old motorcycle tools. Most of them are six-edged (hex) wrenches in all sizes. I only have a few small and medium allen. So I saw, I can´t go far with this old tools on the rebel, in contrary to my former bikes. They mostly had hex screws and few allen screws.
And so I need a new set of tools. Anybody of you has an advice, what kind of tools are the mostly common for the rebel?

·
Registered
136 Posts
Metric socket set. Metric Allen socket set. Good ratchet. 2' breaker bar that fits the sockets (either 3/8 or 1/2" drive). A set of screwdrivers.

That's really it until you get to heavy stuff, but if you are asking for tool recommendations I think the heavy stuff will be awhile ;)

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Today I´ve inspected my rebel´s bolts and nuts whith my old motorcycle tools. Most of them are six-edged (hex) wrenches in all sizes. I only have a few small and medium allen. So I saw, I can´t go far with this old tools on the rebel, in contrary to my former bikes. They mostly had hex screws and few allen screws.
And so I need a new set of tools. Anybody of you has an advice, what kind of tools are the mostly common for the rebel?
I don't know if you have Harbor Freight in Austria or not. Most of the DIY guys buy the tools from Harbor Freight in the USA.

Kenny G

·
Registered
132 Posts
THX! This will do really. Think, I never get to heavy stuff, only the average dismounting/mounting/checking. No dismantling the inner parts of the engine and so on. Don´t have the environment to do this, no own garage or other spaces for widespread jobs.

·
Registered
674 Posts
My advice is to buy high quality hex wrenches to prevent rounding of the bolts. I would also buy an extra set of the bolts you’re trying to remove.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts