Honda Rebel 300 & 500 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a 2014 800 XC in December. I want to do some adventure riding, I live in the Pacific Northwest and we have some amazing back country routes that the Rebel just can't make.

Couple things about the Tiger.

It is TALL. Like I am having to slide off on one side to get a foot flat, and it is very top heavy. Makes me really appreciate the Rebel for the low seat placement.

I have all the panniers from Triumph (came with the bike). After riding the Rebel it feels like I have an SUV worth of space.

5 gallons of gas in the tank, but not as good of mileage. I get 45 mpg.

Has the full adventure windscreen, so that is nice at highway speeds. And at 70 mph it is barely working, the engine is around 4100 rpm. Big difference from the Rebel on the highway.

Still keeping the Rebel. My 20 yo daughter is going to ride it as well, so now we can do family rides.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Oh that is nice bike (and I dig your gear too). I’m considering upgrading to an adventure touring bike for similar reasons, and have been looking at the Tiger and Versys 650.

Out of curiosity, what made you choose the Tiger over other adventure bikes?

·
Registered
627 Posts
No harm in having two very different bikes. I had to let a Yamaha TDM 900 go because it eventually got too tall and top heavy for me.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Out of curiosity, what made you choose the Tiger over other adventure bikes?
I was looking at a lot of them. The real reason I chose the Tiger was because of the price and options it came with. I figured I am going to drop it (so buy used with lots of bars), and I wanted something I could try moto camping with. There is a large community where I live, and a lot of them ride Tigers or BMW.

This used Tiger only cost me about $3k (plus my local taxes and registration). I figure that is a cheap way to figure out if I like that type of riding. The BMW bikes around me in the same power / age range were almost 2x the price.

At some point if I really love off-road riding I may trade this bike in on something else. But for now I am using it to learn a new style of riding and enjoying some new life experiences.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts