Honda Rebel 300 & 500 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

First post- I'm 2.5 months and 3k miles into my Rebel 500 and have been using this forum and glad to finally be a part...

I want to rotate these two levers up probably a 1/4 inch just so my smaller hands can keep two fingers on each a little bit more comfortably/safely, especially on the front brake and throttle.

I can't find any info in the complete manual or online and just want to make sure I'm correct to adjust the bracket with top and bottom bolts holding both the fluid reservoirs and lever housing. It has the "star/asterisk" like bolts.

If anyone has any guidance, please let me know!

Thanks in advance,
Bob

·
Registered
366 Posts
The "star/asterisk" like bolts as you call them are a 5mm allen key. Get yourself a set of allen sockets thingys to work on this bike, they will make your life much easier. If you rotate this assembly it will not bring the levers any closer to the grip, just a different position. This may be what you're looking for I don't know. If you need to get the lever closer so your hand reaches easier I suggest a set of adjustable levers like this https://www.amazon.com/MZS-Adjustment-2017-2018-VTX1300CX-2009-2018/dp/B07F23SPYD good luck!

·
Registered
111 Posts
The ‘star’ bolts are TORX fittings - not Allen. Two different things. You can buy TORX keys or socket sets any tool shop.

·
Registered
366 Posts
The ‘star’ bolts are TORX fittings - not Allen. Two different things. You can buy TORX keys or socket sets any tool shop.
There are no Torx bolts on this bike he asked specifically about the fasteners for the lever assembly. He was mistaken as describing them as star shaped, probably due to limited mechanical experience. That my friend is why I told him exactly what bit would fit the said assembly. Apparently you know what a Torx bit is but lack the knowledge that it not applicable in this situation. If you really want to add valuable feedback to this forum, please do a little homework before your input.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Whilst folk are pontificating, let me put in a plug for getting true JIS (Japanese Industrial Standard) screw drivers instead of Phillips Head screwdrivers from your local hardware stores. Asian sourced parts use JIS screws.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Whilst folk are pontificating, let me put in a plug for getting true JIS (Japanese Industrial Standard) screw drivers instead of Phillips Head screwdrivers from your local hardware stores. Asian sourced parts use JIS screws.
This is true! There have already been a couple posts where someone rounded out the head of what they thought was a Phillips.

·
Registered
111 Posts
There are no Torx bolts on this bike he asked specifically about the fasteners for the lever assembly. He was mistaken as describing them as star shaped, probably due to limited mechanical experience. That my friend is why I told him exactly what bit would fit the said assembly. Apparently you know what a Torx bit is but lack the knowledge that it not applicable in this situation. If you really want to add valuable feedback to this forum, please do a little homework before your input.
Wow. Do you think you could make your reply any more patronising? Just curious. Maybe try wearing one if those little leather waistcoats and stick a plastic star badge on it first then try typing it again. Lol. I’ll leave you to your keyboard. I’m gonna go finish building another custom bike for another happy customer. Choat.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
No need to be fighting on my part guys... I appreciated the help....and despite limited mechanical knowledge- I knew an allen wrench was not the right tool for the situation...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts