Honda Rebel 300 & 500 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Honda Rebel 500
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So like many of you fine guys and gals here I have decided to remove all warning labels off the gas tank and a decal the previous owner of my rebel put on. I removed 95% of it all and there is nothing that catches when I run my fingers on the tank, it’s smooth, but the decal from the previous owner is still faintly imprinted on the tank. The method I used is a heat gun, WD-40, and a microfiber cloth. Is there another fluid/product I can use to completely remove this imprint?

·
Registered
374 Posts
sometimes you can find good info doing a search on the internet of all places

try YouTube, Google, Bing or your favorite search engine with the phrase "remove warning label residue from a motorcycle"

·
Registered
316 Posts
I wonder if leaving a label on a long time, then removing it would reveal paint fade from the sun?

·
Registered
2019 Honda Rebel 500
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Goo Gone worked for me.
I’ll give that a shot to see if it completely removes it
sometimes you can find good info doing a search on the internet of all places

try YouTube, Google, Bing or your favorite search engine with the phrase "remove warning label residue from a motorcycle"
I searched a few and the methods I seen are WD-40, goo gone, and oddly enough gasoline. Think the gasoline route is gonna ruin the clear coat/paint? My rebel is matte black

·
Registered
24 Posts
Sounds like the same issue I've got. I removed the warning label off my matte blue tank the day I bought it home - new. I removed all residue with coconut oil and a soft cloth, but what's left is a little rectangle that looks like it's faded in the sun. There is nothing else gooey to remove. I've been unable to find a solution, so I guess I'll just live with it. It's only really obvious in a certain light, and it's still better than that ugly warning label.

·
Registered
2019 Honda Rebel 500
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sounds like the same issue I've got. I removed the warning label off my matte blue tank the day I bought it home - new. I removed all residue with coconut oil and a soft cloth, but what's left is a little rectangle that looks like it's faded in the sun. There is nothing else gooey to remove. I've been unable to find a solution, so I guess I'll just live with it. It's only really obvious in a certain light, and it's still better than that ugly warning label.
I’m going to try some other methods to see what helps remove the previous owners decals and then get back to you if it works or not. Also my tank is matte black and the rectangles from the warning labels are still there as well for me too.

·
Registered
2020 Rebel 500 S
33 Posts
I’ll give that a shot to see if it completely removes it

I searched a few and the methods I seen are WD-40, goo gone, and oddly enough gasoline. Think the gasoline route is gonna ruin the clear coat/paint? My rebel is matte black
Gasolene will not harm anything! I remember my father telling me that they used to use gasolene as a polish for the whole car back in the old days. It is in fact the "finest" polish on earth.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I’m going to try some other methods to see what helps remove the previous owners decals and then get back to you if it works or not. Also my tank is matte black and the rectangles from the warning labels are still there as well for me too.
Thanks, that'd be great.

·
Registered
2019 Honda Rebel 500
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks, that'd be great.
So I tried rubbing alcohol and baby oil. Both helped just a little bit, which means the imprint is still there. You can see it if you're looking for it combined with the lighting so I am just going to live it with and call it a day there. At this point there is no high spots or stickiness for me to even remove. Its all smooth as if it was part of the tank, so I am just going to move forward from here.

·
Registered
2019 Honda Rebel 300
36 Posts
Gasolene will not harm anything! I remember my father telling me that they used to use gasolene as a polish for the whole car back in the old days. It is in fact the "finest" polish on earth.
Hint: don't smoke while you're using it :D

·
Registered
24 Posts
So I tried rubbing alcohol and baby oil. Both helped just a little bit, which means the imprint is still there. You can see it if you're looking for it combined with the lighting so I am just going to live it with and call it a day there. At this point there is no high spots or stickiness for me to even remove. Its all smooth as if it was part of the tank, so I am just going to move forward from here.
I was hoping otherwise, but I thought you might say that.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts