Honda Rebel 300 & 500 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Prgrmerror's bike

I have been holding out posting my first impressions and will after a few rides. For now I need a place to post what my mods are and how they turned out. Within the first 2 minutes I realized my riding position would need work. Im 5,7” with a 30” inseam. The first mod will be the most important and expensive. I realized long ago to get to the point and not try multiple smaller mods. That only ends up being more expensive in the end and results aren’t as good. So my first mod will be the Depretto forward controls. I didn’t over pay for the bike so the $ spent on them keeps the bike cost in line with what some have paid. I will keep my mods on this thread, so once they arrive I’ll post results. Here is my starting point.

Attachments

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This is taking longer than I expected. I had to come up with a side bracket to add my swing arm bag. It would rest on the swing arm and cause damage to the bag without. I made it out of cardboard and took it to a fab shop to be made. I don’t expect it for a week or 2 for the first fitting. In the mean time I have added a throttle lock and grip puppies.

Attachments

·
Registered
60 Posts
This is taking longer than I expected. I had to come up with a side bracket to add my swing arm bag. It would rest on the swing arm and cause damage to the bag without. I made it out of cardboard and took it to a fab shop to be made. I don’t expect it for a week or 2 for the first fitting. In the mean time I have added a throttle lock and grip puppies.
Grip puppies just slip right over? Whats your opinion on them?

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes they slip over. I sprayed soap water in them first. Not much. It makes them easy to install. I trimmed to size first and installed the cut end first. I like the larger grip. They do help with vibration and just feel more comfortable on longer rides.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Here are the depretto forward foot pegs. They change a lot about riding position. The unmentioned plus is being able to hang my feet over them to stretch out if needed. I added about 6mm of spacers to keep the shifter from contacting/rubbing the radiator hose when in motion. Look just above the kickstand. I used stainless steel washers and a longer bolt to compensate for them.

Attachments

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
While moving the pegs forward is nice , it wasn’t enough. I suspect many riders like to move around while riding. I also missed not having the original location. Here’s what I came up with. I haven’t had the bike out yet to see what I think. They are cheap folding buddy pegs from amazon. All in 15 bucks. I’ll save my opinion for later once I can get a couple of rides in.

Attachments

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Today I installed the risers that I ordered from HRP motors. They are not H2C they are Seven Speed. Aside from the surprise they fit well and installed in less than 10 minutes. On another note. The tank gripper stick on rubber protection set was complete disappointment. The Rebel logo on the left side was upside down. The stick glue on the left side and center peeled off on the sticker backing paper so they wouldn’t stick to the tank ever, and they were 40 dollars. Not happy right now. I sent them an email asking how they will refund me. I will get back to this and let folks know how that goes.

Attachments

·
Registered
430 Posts
Yes they slip over. I sprayed soap water in them first. Not much. It makes them easy to install. I trimmed to size first and installed the cut end first. I like the larger grip. They do help with vibration and just feel more comfortable on longer rides.
I have just fitted a set and followed this procedure (thanks, Prgrmerror). I cut to size with an electric bread knife and finished off on a disc sander (very carefully as it can grab and ruin!). I put more soap water onto the original grip as that does not get absorbed (as the foam grips do). Looks ok and I'll give them a test tomorrow. I also found myself 'pumping' them on initially. Banging the end with my palm pushed air in and around the inside of the foam grip and allowed it to slip easily further on. Anyway it is an easy job.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The risers only got me half way to where I want to be. I’ll be replacing them with some bars. I ordered a set and will replace the bars and risers when they get here. I have been researching bars and looking at all the swaps on this forum. I went with something I haven’t seen here yet. They have the stock shape but are taller and have more pullback. More on them later if/when I get them to work

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I’m not sure most will appreciate this mod but if you have the depretto forward controls you may. I found the foot brake was in the way of the peg use when I was riding. My fix was to buy a new lever from Honda. 15 bucks and bend it to change the position. It is much better for me now.

Attachments

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The tank gripper stick on rubber protection set was complete disappointment. The Rebel logo on the left side was upside down. The stick glue on the left side and center peeled off on the sticker backing paper so they wouldn’t stick to the tank ever,
Is been 5 days and they have not responded to my email requesting a refund. Buyer beware. HRP is off my list as a place to get parts

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
You should read my posts about the seat purchased from HRP.

Don't ever purchase out of the country without using PayPal.....

Kenny G

1 - 20 of 83 Posts