Honda Rebel 300 & 500 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,655 Posts
Uum... Those who have, have used a digital plug and play kinda tach. Not too sure you'll be able to hook that think up to show you the rpm's...

·
Super Moderator
1,655 Posts
Says it should work witrh any 2 cylinder 4 stroke
Well I ain't no bike expert as of yet, but I have a slight suspicion that it might work on older model bikes with such an engine.
Bikes today have alot of tech to them, that's why everyone has used a digital that you just plug into the bikes diagnostic plug. You can pull out just about any info you want from the bike from that plug, but you need a unit to be able to read the info it's getting, and the tack you're trying to hook up ain't gonna work. Unless it's a piece that can do this thou.
Aside from the diagnostic plug, I would advice you not to try and plug it onto other wires to try and get a rpm reading out of it. You can wave buy to the warranty on the bike then.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Mandrew,

Go to other motorcycle forums and check how they hook up an analog tach.

One wire usually goes to the horn power wire to pick up electric for the tach anther wire is ground and the thirt wire will hook into the ignition.

Start your search here: How to Install a Tachometer: 8 Steps (with Pictures) - wikiHow

I have had tachometers on every bike I have ever owned and I always found the instructions on the forum for that particular motorcycle.

After you install your tach post how to do it so I will then be able to install a tachometer.

Kenny G

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Mandrew,

Go to other motorcycle forums and check how they hook up an analog tach.

One wire usually goes to the horn power wire to pick up electric for the tach anther wire is ground and the thirt wire will hook into the ignition.

Start your search here: How to Install a Tachometer: 8 Steps (with Pictures) - wikiHow

I have had tachometers on every bike I have ever owned and I always found the instructions on the forum for that particular motorcycle.

After you install your tach post how to do it so I will then be able to install a tachometer.

Kenny G
I'm having difficulty finding much information specific to wiring and where to find what I need to tap into. I've searched that wikiHow and it wasn't very helpful. I can't find much information around the Rebel 500 beyond reviews, much less the wiring diagram I need. I'm trying to look at the CBR500_ and see if there's anyone who has added one. Still not much luck. I may just go the plug and play route with the digital but I love the look of the analog sooo much!

Thank you for the insight :)

EDIT: I did find this which is cool but I really like the analog. I guess beggars can't be choosers.
http://www.hondarebel3forum.com/forum/113-honda-rebel-300-500-general-discussion/1457-add-tach-much-more-your-rebel-300-500-a.html

·
Registered
138 Posts
Do you know what the rev limit is on the 500? 8k seems pretty low to me for the max reading. I would guess the 500 might be a little lower than the 300 but the 300 is around 10,500k.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Installing a tach cable on my old KZ750 was very easy. There should be a tach cable inset *for lack of a better term* right in the crankcase. Given this bike doesn't come stock with a tach cable, im not sure if it has one and you may only be able to retrofit a digital tach.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Jskaff, all the data I've found points to 8500 being the rpm limit. I've checked the cbr500 also and have found the same.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
If you're planning of plugging your tach into that connection, then it won't do you any good.
That's just a power socket.
Yes, I realize that now haha. I found the correct connection but now have a new problem. The digital tach is split into 3 sections: 1 that has the display+4 inches and a connector, 1 that is approximately six inches and connects to the port on the bike, and 1 that is many feet long that connects those two. I plugged the display into the section connected to the bike to test and initially it worked fine. Then, feeling confident, I ran the wires and did a temporary mounting job and fired it up and now there's no data displaying. The display unit is getting power and LED's are lighting up on the side but there's no data on the screen. I have an e-mail in to the manufacturer.. which is Japanese I believe. So hopefully the translation of the problem and potential diagnosis goes well :D

·
Registered
38 Posts
Yes, I realize that now haha. I found the correct connection but now have a new problem. The digital tach is split into 3 sections: 1 that has the display+4 inches and a connector, 1 that is approximately six inches and connects to the port on the bike, and 1 that is many feet long that connects those two. I plugged the display into the section connected to the bike to test and initially it worked fine. Then, feeling confident, I ran the wires and did a temporary mounting job and fired it up and now there's no data displaying. The display unit is getting power and LED's are lighting up on the side but there's no data on the screen. I have an e-mail in to the manufacturer.. which is Japanese I believe. So hopefully the translation of the problem and potential diagnosis goes well :D
did you eventually get it working? how did it turn out? I'm looking to add a tach to mine.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts