Honda Rebel 300 & 500 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Aracer Cube plugs directly to your OBD red port underneath the seat.
Tach and more useful information displayed. Plug and Play.

https://www.steadygarage.com/store/aracer-cube-g-ultra-compact-obd-data-gauge-honda-cbr-250-rebel-300-500

·
Registered
204 Posts
Mounting is somewhere intrusive is definitely going to be the main issue..

But this is something I'll keep in mind, but I'll still be looking for other solutions.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Thanks for the video. All those crazy colors flashing would really annoy the **** out of me lmao and I like lights. Definitely not for me though, it looks so out of place.

·
Super Moderator
1,655 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
here's the cubeG just installed today on my CMX500! it's stuck to the top of the speedo face with light duty double sided tape. just cut a crescent-shaped piece and center on the speedo just even with the top edge of the actually lit part of the speedo face. only real drawback is I can no longer see the all important turn signal indicator, and these don't self cancel_ dah. Once I am certain on the install, or if you like what you see here, use the heavier 3M brand tape and it will be, more or less, permanent.

it IS awesome... perfect size as you can see, easily readable and easy to reach!!! that's $89 plus the minimum $7 shipped in just 2 days fedex from CA to WA.

Best of all, in case you weren't sure- it is TOTALLY plug and play. you can literally take from the box, pull the seat, remove the "red connector" END CAP, and plug this baby in AND have it running in FIVE minutes if you already have the seat and OBD end cap removed. which on the end cap- I ended up nipping the 3 tiny plastic lips that hold the end cap to the OBD connector. just use the smallest end cutters you have and move on. Oh, and you will have to remove the tiny locking collar left behind on the RED CONNECTOR after the end plug was removed- just nip it off as before. that's so the tiny little locking tab (on the bike end) can engage the cubeG's connector. it's a perfect fit.

IMPORTANT: pre-run the long lead wire from the neck area to the battery area BEFORE making any connections. then if you are happy with the run of the wire- go ahead and make your connections for your first start. once connected- you don't want to take these apart if you can avoid it! and it's easier to run when it's not connected at both ends already.

So- just follow the wiring leads and looms from the battery compartment, forward along the bottom side of the fuel tank, to the beautiful frame neck, left-hand side (stay as high above the ignition coil as possible). then I went through the right-hand side wire clip at the upper triple tree, then along the wire loom heading to up the left handle bar. then straight up to left side of the tack housing where the mini gauge pigtail hangs down. the pigtail is about 5" long and hangs just at the base of the tach. connect the short cubeG pigtail to the bike's EMC red connector, connect the long wire between the two pigtails. that's it.

turn on the ignition... after the light off display, the ULTRA COMPACT OBD Data Gauge landed right where you see it- displaying RPM at the top and engine coolant temp below. awesome! once you know she works, turn it off.

double check for turning clearances where the cubeG wire goes up along the neck. you will have about 15" of extra wire length to tuck neatly into the battery compartment area and a hand full of small zipties along the run to make it right. reconnect the tank bolt and seat and off you go!

that- done to my standards and quadruple checked, took a super fun hour or so. you can remove the fuel tank hold down bolt and prop the rear of the tank up about 2", which is more than enough to insure safe routing of the one and only wire! be sure to protect the tank at the handle bars. speaking of the wire, it's flat, barely 1/4" wide and very well engineered AND constructed. it's was cool for me to work with this flat wire- it was new for me after all these decades of running round wires. this is my first bike with an ECM that I have actually been able to work on.

if this fine piece of electronics last even a couple of years before fading, blacking or shorting out- I will be extremely satisfied! today- I am totally stoked. I have a video of the gauge operating, but I don't know how to post a vid yet. ENJOY!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
NimRod,

I like your idea. I am hoping some one on here clever enough to figure out how to install the Cube along with a Gear Indicator Display.

Kenny G

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
SLI,

I adapted a very nice mount to use my Gear Indicator.

I want to be able to mount a Tachometer that connects to the same port as the Gear Indicator.

Kenny G

·
Registered
877 Posts
i was wondering the same.. i think a Y type adapter would be too much of a pain. splicing the wires of both pieces together before the connector would be simple.. obviously the question is Would it work?
guess none of us will know until somebody tries it :p

·
Registered
5 Posts
I don't want to get off on the wrong foot, being only my 4th post on this forum, but isn't this gear indicator delima kinda high-jacking this thread. Can we keep it focused on the gubeG and aRacer stuff, please. We are just on page 2 now. Isn't there a thread about the gear indicator somewhere else on this forum? thanks!

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
I don't want to get off on the wrong foot, being only my 4th post on this forum, but isn't this gear indicator delima kinda high-jacking this thread. Can we keep it focused on the gubeG and aRacer stuff, please. We are just on page 2 now. Isn't there a thread about the gear indicator somewhere else on this forum? thanks!
Nimrod,

You are on the wrong foot....

Kenny G

1 - 20 of 24 Posts