Honda Rebel 300 & 500 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
2019 Honda CMX500
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Evening All

Had the Rebel in for its first service today - 1,000km and have enjoyed all of them.

it was a reasonable distance (around an hour 20 minutes) and I found my throttle hand aching along the way then my fingers getting slightly numb. I have noticed this before when I’ve ridden and I’m wondering if my ergonomics are a little wrong.

I tried pulling the elbows in a little, lowering my forearms to change the position of my wrists but the ache remained.

I guess it could be my gloves cutting the circulation off slightly but not sure, fingers on both hands were pretty cold by the time I arrived even though the weather waa reasonable. Thought it might be the size of the grips or something as another option but not sure.

Wondering if anyone else has or had the same issue and what ideas you have to fix it?

·
Registered
548 Posts
A few suggestions: maybe your grip of the throttle is too tight? Maybe some grip puppies (soft foam covers) would reduce the vibration (I use them and they make some difference)? You can buy a snap on lever ('throttle rest' I think it is called) which enables an easier grip.

·
Registered
219 Posts
You need to rule out all the obvious first, i.e., circulatory medical conditions such as Raynaud’s disease or complications from Diabetes. Do you feel the cold easily when not riding the bike? If all is okay, next is the ambient temperature? Was it very cold or just cold? A long ride with thin gloves in cold weather can cause numb fingers/hands. Surprising how the wind chill factor can effect a rider’s hands and body. Tight gloves is not a good idea if they cut off or limit circulation. Some courier riders use mittens so they can exercise their fingers.

Robbie is correct about vibration being a possible cause along with gripping the bars too tightly.

Good Luck

·
Registered
134 Posts

·
Premium Member
2019 Honda CMX500
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks all for the comments and suggestions. It wasn’t terribly Cold weather and I was wearing winter gloves. Might wear the gloves for a bit without being on the bike and see how they feel.

I will try and focus on a more relaxed grip - as Robbie10 suggested it could also be the level of vibration when sitting on 80kmph for an extended period. If I continue to have the issue I will try grip puppies and see how it goes.

Cheers

·
Registered
2017 Honda Rebel 300 CMX300a
71 Posts
I actually have Raynaud's and carpal tunnel (getting older is oh so much fun), and have the same issue as you have described. Neither of those issues are at play in what I've been having trouble with. As you described, anything more than 20 minutes and my right arm (up near the elbow) starts to get sore/fatigued.

I tried the cramp buster, but unless i'm going on the highway, I find it gets in the way too much and I bump it when I dont want to. For me, it's a combination of ergonomics and grip. I have to really focus and grip the bike with my thighs and just loosely hold the grips. I'm also making more adjustment to the bars (risers) and have some grip puppies on the way. Hoping that those + experience + learning how to keep my grip loose helps out.

·
Registered
177 Posts
"As you described, anything more than 20 minutes and my right arm (up near the elbow) starts to get sore/fatigued. "

This is a direct result of wrong angle and to tight a grip.
I have done the wrong angle even after many years of riding.
Relax and relax your grip.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Relax and relax your grip.
I'm trying! ;)
I have to really focus and grip the bike with my thighs and just loosely hold the grips.
I'm confident it's just going to take some time in the saddle to become more relaxed and not always grip so tightly.

As I said, I have both a set of risers to bring the bars back farther toward me and some adjustable levers on order to help with the ergonomics. And have been thinking about getting a mustang seat to help push me forward a bit as well. They just dont build bikes for small people.

·
Registered
180 Posts
I just got one of these ( not this particular brand ) and it makes all the diff in the world to just be able to take your throttle hand off once in a while and wiggle your fingers and wrist.
cruise control

·
Registered
180 Posts
Comes with a rubber band that slips over your throttle grip, the device then just clamps over that. You adjust the long part with your thumb and when you let off the throttle it just rests on the front brake lever and keeps your throttle where you left it.
video

Mine was only $15.99 at amozon.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Comes with a rubber band that slips over your throttle grip, the device then just clamps over that. You adjust the long part with your thumb and when you let off the throttle it just rests on the front brake lever and keeps your throttle where you left it.
video
That video definitely helps. I have a cramp buster right now and don't like how it interferes with my throttle control before I get to the highway.The one you have at least looks like it wont mess with things before you're ready to engage it. Have also been looking at the throttle lock from sound off recreational.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts