Honda Rebel 300, 500, & 1100 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,

Just found this forum and appreciate the members willingness to share information. I'm 65, retired, and seriously considering riding, at least casually. I rode in high school (when Richard Nixon was still the US President for context) and therefore suspect I'll be starting from scratch. That said, I'm excited to head down this path again.

I've decided that the Rebel 300 or 500 is a great way to go. That sent me on investigating the merits of each. It seems like the 500 may suit me better as I am 255 pounds and 5'9". I will be primarily riding the bike on town roads and in Chapel Hill, the local small University city. I will occasionally ride for perhaps 30 miles on Interstate 40.

So I have shifted to looking for bikes to buy. It seems like there aren't a lot of bikes available at dealerships and almost none on the used market. Since I am in no hurry to purchase, maybe they will become more available during the winter. Any suggestions on when best to buy?

Thanks!

·
Registered
605 Posts
If you decice to go up, I am in Bartow, and still have the 1100 dct for sale

·
Registered
2021 Rebel 1100 - Metallic Black
134 Posts
I've decided that the Rebel 300 or 500 is a great way to go. That sent me on investigating the merits of each. It seems like the 500 may suit me better as I am 255 pounds and 5'9". I will be primarily riding the bike on town roads and in Chapel Hill, the local small University city. I will occasionally ride for perhaps 30 miles on Interstate 40.

So I have shifted to looking for bikes to buy. It seems like there aren't a lot of bikes available at dealerships and almost none on the used market. Since I am in no hurry to purchase, maybe they will become more available during the winter. Any suggestions on when best to buy?

Thanks!
If you are looking to just ride around town, a 300 will probably do. If you want to ride somewhat regularly on the interstate, I would go at least 500. If it is within your means though, I would seriously consider the 1100. It is a very approachable bike.

If you are looking to buy new, yeah a lot of dealers are going to be pretty cleaned out right now and probably won't get much new until the 2023's start showing up.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks to all for the responses, sounds like conditions here are happening elsewhere too. I'm most interested in the 500, but would settle for the 3 if that's all that becomes available. Hadn't really considered the 1100, seems like a lot of bike with a commensurate purchase price. I'll do a more thorough job of looking at the specs, but think I'm probably going to try for a 500 first.

Do prices (and maybe availability) get a little better in the winter?

·
Registered
2021 Rebel 1100 - Metallic Black
134 Posts
Do prices (and maybe availability) get a little better in the winter?
I think historically (pre-COVID) that was probably true...but I think the supply chain still has a ways to go to catch up. So I wouldn't count on it.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Cash still talks. A used 500 if it has been kept stock and has fairly low miles and is a 1 owner who parked it inside might well be worth looking into. Deals do exist and be vigilant and look daily and be ready to go buy if a used one makes sense to you. I have bought many bikes and the market changes daily. Most are starting high only because of supply and demand but deals do show up. Figure what is good for you and hold off till you can get one. I have traveled up to 250 miles for the right used bike.

Make yourself a list like, title in sellers name, current registration, little or no modifications, under 5k miles, never crashed, original paint, turn signals, why are they selling. service history.

Good luck.

·
Registered
2022 Rebel 500
35 Posts
+1 to go for the 500! As for dealers, my experience was that they don't even know when they might get one. Just check their inventory daily, maybe you get lucky (was the case for me). Good luck!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts