Honda Rebel 300 & 500 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went to a motorcycle dealership for only the second time. I sat on the Rebel for only the second time. I noticed the transmission housing on the 500 sticks out really far. Much further than the 300. This rubs into my right ankle. (or just above it. I had decided on the 500...but this transmission housing sticking out is way out of place. I don't see how someone can ride without constantly pressing up against it. This seems like a deal breaker to me. It's in the way. Is this something people get used too? I've read elsewhere that others thought it was odd, but I didn't understand what they were talking about until today.

·
Registered
278 Posts
I don’t notice it. I do know it’s there but I don’t call it a deal breaker. For me the 300 is a deal breaker. I need more CC’s

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It could be so irritating because I was in shorts and tennis shoes. If I were wearing boots, perhaps not so much.

I also sat on a sport bike (CBR300R)....it wasn't so bad. The first time I did it, is seemed like I was leaning too far forward. Today, it seemed fine.

·
Registered
278 Posts
You have to go with what you feel comfortable with. My guess is if you go with something that your told is okay you won’t be happy. Everyone has a different opinion about what is acceptable and what is not. There are lots of folks that are happy with the 300 and the same for the 500. The CBR300 and 500 would be no different. I wish you the best trying to find what makes you happy

·
Registered
48 Posts
I ride alot, 10,000km this year so far, and have had only minor issues with the clutch cover. I keep the balls of my feet on the pegs rather then the arch and even while pinching the tank with my knees in corners, its never been an issue

·
Registered
136 Posts
I would literally have to go sit on my bike to understand what you're talking about, I never thought it was large. Maybe I'm inexperienced cause it's my first bike but nothing on the 500 feels like it sticks out to me. Maybe the fact you were in shorts and tennis shoes threw it off a little? I had a guy at the dealership hold the bike up while i put both feet on the pegs to really feel how it is to ride it without actually riding (I wasn't endorsed at the time)

·
Registered
30 Posts
It's funny because I never noticed the clutch cover until I saw a recent post about it not too long ago, now I notice it every time I ride. It doesn't bother me too much, but I wonder how much longer I could have gone being blissfully unaware had I not read about it haha

·
Registered
814 Posts
I went to a motorcycle dealership for only the second time. I sat on the Rebel for only the second time. I noticed the transmission housing on the 500 sticks out really far. Much further than the 300. This rubs into my right ankle. (or just above it. I had decided on the 500...but this transmission housing sticking out is way out of place. I don't see how someone can ride without constantly pressing up against it. This seems like a deal breaker to me. It's in the way. Is this something people get used too? I've read elsewhere that others thought it was odd, but I didn't understand what they were talking about until today.
I was super annoyed by this when I first got the bike. I do not notice it anymore. I am not sure if I just got use to it or if I am slightly moving my foot further out on the peg. But eventually you will likely forget about it and not notice it.

·
Registered
111 Posts
The wife has noticed some heat damage to her right leg only - on her waterproofs and a pair of riding trousers. Sat on bike to check and it lines up with the upper part of the clutch housing. I’ll make a bracket up to shield but this will push out the transmission case even further.

·
Registered
42 Posts
The clutch basket has a plastic cover that does a good job of shielding your leg/ankle from excess heat. That said, the foot peg's position in relation to the basket is not the best, in my opinion. The pegs should be several inches farther forward which would put the ankle ahead of the basket rather than beside it.

Like many others have said here; I didn't like it at first, but now I don't much notice it. Now the seat, that's something I will not get used to. I have to make a change there.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I walked in to the dealer with all the cash ready for a 500.
I rode both, and for me the clutch cover was definitely a deal breaker. Fortunately i was not impressed enough with any power difference and just plain liked riding the 300 better. So, I didn't get what i intended to, but i'm glad now that i didn't. 2400 miles now and i have not regretted my decision one time.
Forward controls could be an option for some but personally, i cant stand a riding position like that, very uncomfortable on the behind.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts