Honda Rebel 300 & 500 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

Registered
2019 Honda Rebel 300
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Coolant started leaking yesterday. It鈥檚 splattered all down the right side and on to the exhaust. I didn鈥檛 wanna take a chance on it damaging the paint so I
washed it off with water AFTER I took pics to show to the dealership.
My question is why was it fine for 509 miles?!
I gotta take it in Wednesday (if the have sn opening) for it鈥檚 600 mi. maintenance so will have them fix it. The reservoir level seems fine.
how many others have had this problem.
馃が

Registered
You can refill to the upper line and recheck after hundred miles of riding.
I also had this situation(Rebel 500 during 3xx km), they say it's evapotranspiration during transportation.
Then I refill and recheck, it's ok till now.(11xxkm)
By the way, if you are hard to get the Honda pro hp coolant, you can try the asian blue coolant using on cars
(Honda, Subaru,Suzuki etc.)

Registered
2017 Rebel 500
Just last week I had a coolant leak that looked a lot like that on my 500. I took it to the dealership and they diagnosed faulty water pump gasket and O-rings. My bike has right around 9,000 miles on it, so quite a few more than yours, but still not too much to expect a gasket leak. Fortunately my repair from the shop with their diagnostic, replace the parts and refill the coolant is under $200.00. Good luck

Registered
2019 Honda Rebel 300
Discussion Starter #4
COOLANT LEAK UPDATE!
I
rode the bike in to my Honda dealership (30 minutes away) and they said they鈥檝e seen this before and that I need a new water pipe, new flanges and O-rings. They said something about the flange not being perfectly flat so it eventually lets coolant seep out..... it鈥檚 a manufacturing defect. I would think that a new part would have the same defect but they assured me they would get this taken care of under warranty. I had cleaned the engine the other day but when I got to the dealership, they could see just how much of the coolant add splattered all over the header and engine, it was a lot.
At one point on my ride over there I pulled over the video the leaking. Here鈥檚 a photo of the parts that they are going to replace. Photo was taken when the engine was cleaned.

Registered
2019 Rebel 300
Had the same problem on my 300, I just replaced the O-rings. Problem fixed! Did the dealer replace that with no cost to you? I paid less than $1.00 for the O-rings instead of a 6 hour round trip ride to the dealer.

Registered
2019 Honda Rebel 300
Discussion Starter #6
Had the same problem on my 300, I just replaced the O-rings. Problem fixed! Did the dealer replace that with no cost to you? I paid less than $1.00 for the O-rings instead of a 6 hour round trip ride to the dealer.
The entire repair will be covered under warranty. I just bought the bike brand new in August. The only thing I will be paying for is the 600 mile maintenance service.
They didn鈥檛 have the parts though so I will have to leave it with them for about 10 days.

Registered
Well I鈥檓 sure as hell not gonna ride it till it鈥檚 fixed. That鈥檇 be beyond stupid. :rolleyes:
I only have 300 miles on my 300 and coolant is leaking from the weep hole ..took it to dealer 2 months ago they had it for week and claimed they saw no leaks..
it is still weeping....several riders are experiencing this ,..dealer advise me that they will not do anything till they see it gushing out..and a few drops is nothing to worry about
..I guess I will ride till it pours ..by that time the warranty may expire.l

Registered
2019 Honda Rebel 300
Discussion Starter #10
I only have 300 miles on my 300 and coolant is leaking from the weep hole ..took it to dealer 2 months ago they had it for week and claimed they saw no leaks..
it is still weeping....several riders are experiencing this ,..dealer advise me that they will not do anything till they see it gushing out..and a few drops is nothing to worry about
Mine is leaking from the bottom of the water pipe. Yesterday when I was writing it to the dealer which is about 30 minutes away, I had cleaned the engine prior to starting it and clean all of the coolant off the header as well and at one point when I was stopped at a red light, it was literally spewing out of the lower end of the metal water pipe.
by the time I got to the dealership it literally look like I had run over an entire family reunion of Smurfs.
If I were you I would take it to a different Honda dealership that has some common sense. If it鈥檚 leaking ANY coolant at all, it needs to be fixed under warranty while you still have a warranty! If it starts spewing like mine did, you possibly won鈥檛 be aware of it until the engine has overheated. If I hadn鈥檛 looked down at my engine well sitting at the red light yesterday, I would鈥檝e never known that it was spewing out that much, I would鈥檝e thought it was still just dripping.
If you don鈥檛 have another Honda dealership anywhere that you can take your bike to, call Honda and tell them the situation. In the meantime, take videos and photos like I did

Registered
2019 Honda Rebel 300
Discussion Starter #11
Here鈥檚 Honda USA鈥檚 contact information. I鈥檇 call them if I were you. Contact Us

Registered
Mine is leaking from the bottom of the water pipe. Yesterday when I was writing it to the dealer which is about 30 minutes away, I had cleaned the engine prior to starting it and clean all of the coolant off the header as well and at one point when I was stopped at a red light, it was literally spewing out of the lower end of the metal water pipe.
by the time I got to the dealership it literally look like I had run over an entire family reunion of Smurfs.
If I were you I would take it to a different Honda dealership that has some common sense. If it鈥檚 leaking ANY coolant at all, it needs to be fixed under warranty while you still have a warranty! If it starts spewing like mine did, you possibly won鈥檛 be aware of it until the engine has overheated. If I hadn鈥檛 looked down at my engine well sitting at the red light yesterday, I would鈥檝e never known that it was spewing out that much, I would鈥檝e thought it was still just dripping.
If you don鈥檛 have another Honda dealership anywhere that you can take your bike to, call Honda and tell them the situation. In the meantime, take videos and photos like I did
You don't know what you're talking about. Two different issues. Yours is a water pipe o-ring leaking enough coolant that is "spewing" out. His is an occasional drop from the water pump weep hole....which by the way is not unusual. No dealer is gonna do anything for him at this juncture.

He should listen to his dealer and his neighbor who worked at car dealerships as he posted the following on another thread a month ago....notice he said he bought coolant and will add if necessary... it's been a month and if it was leaking enough to add coolant he certainly would have mentioned it in the recent post above.

Well...Dealer claims that nothing is wrong. .Service said they rode the bike a few times and saw no leaks...placed cardboard under bike over night. No leaks...claimed did a pressure test..no leaks....I showed the guy where it was comming out of and he stated it is normal for a few drops to show. .that the weep hole is there to relieve pressure. That's it...My neighbor who worked for a few car dealers told me that unless they see consistent dripping or a puddle, they will not pursue more in depth testing. .So....I will ride till it gets worse..if it gets worse...I picked up coolant and will add if I have to..Hope you have better. Luck. .

Reactions: Showmeguy66

Registered
2019 Honda Rebel 300
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
You don't know what you're talking about. Two different issues. Yours is a water pipe o-ring leaking enough coolant that is "spewing" out. His is an occasional drop from the water pump weep hole....which by the way is not unusual. No dealer is gonna do anything for him at this juncture.

He should listen to his dealer and his neighbor who worked at car dealerships as he posted the following on another thread a month ago....notice he said he bought coolant and will add if necessary... it's been a month and if it was leaking enough to add coolant he certainly would have mentioned it in the recent post above.
And you don鈥檛 know what you鈥檙e talking about plus you can鈥檛 read. If you鈥檇 read my 鈥渦pdate鈥 you would have seen that my dealer said it was a manufacturing defect in the water pipe flange-its not perfectly flat like it should have been.
The best way to fix it is to replace all the parts involved.
As far as his weep hole issue, it wouldn鈥檛 leak coolant unless the seal has issues.
so yeah, he should have it looked at by another dealer if they don鈥檛 want to fix it.
And you don鈥檛 have to be a full blown ass.

Registered
And you don鈥檛 know what you鈥檙e talking about plus you can鈥檛 read. If you鈥檇 read my 鈥渦pdate鈥 you would have seen that my dealer said it was a manufacturing defect in the water pipe flange-its not perfectly flat like it should have been.
The best way to fix it is to replace all the parts involved.
As far as his weep hole issue, it wouldn鈥檛 leak coolant unless the seal has issues.
so yeah, he should have it looked at by another dealer if they don鈥檛 want to fix it.
And you don鈥檛 have to be a full blown ass.
I rest my case...

Reactions: Showmeguy66

Registered
It's ok to be wrong...or have an opinion...
Ok guys..you are both right..This weep hole issue I have is probably related to this defective flange and sooner or later it's going to explode..On the other hand I've been chatting with a few Facebook riders who claimed they had also experienced a few weep hole drops then it stopped within a few weeks. .In a few weeks I'll be putting the bike away for the winter..warranty expires next May so I'll revisit this issue in April

The bike has been sitting In my driveway all week....Why is the weep hole still wet ??

Registered
I hope y'all get your machines fixed ok. I have a 300 with 6,000 i
Hope y'all get your problems fixed. I have a 2020 300 with 6,000 mi (10,000 km) and have had not noticeable leaks althought I did add a bit of water to the coolant several miles ago.

Registered
2019 Rebel 300
Waterpipe leak seems to be common. Before this started showing up on this forum I just went to ACE hardware and got two o-rings and replaced both the upper and lower ones. PROBLEM SOLVED.

Registered
2019 Honda Rebel 300
Discussion Starter #19
I hope y'all get your machines fixed ok. I have a 300 with 6,000 i

Hope y'all get your problems fixed. I have a 2020 300 with 6,000 mi (10,000 km) and have had not noticeable leaks althought I did add a bit of water to the coolant several miles ago.
I go pick up my bike at the dealership tomorrow. I鈥檒l give an update in the future!

Registered
Waterpipe leak seems to be common. Before this started showing up on this forum I just went to ACE hardware and got two o-rings and replaced both the upper and lower ones. PROBLEM SOLVED.
How difficult was it to change them...do you have to drain the system??

1 - 20 of 26 Posts