Honda Rebel 300 & 500 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone,

I am new to the Rebel community and recently picked up a used 2017 Rebel 500 ABS. I picked it up with 5,100 miles and it currently has 5,200 miles on the odo. The previous maintenance by the previous owner was 600 mile maintenance, oil change at 3,000 miles and an oil change at 5,000. Is there anything else I should do at my current mileage? Since I bought the bike used, I just want to make sure everything is good. Looking forward to any suggestions and advice. :smile2:

My bike did not come with the owner's manual. haha

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Nast,

Keep an eye on the chain and lube it often, I do my chain every 500 miles, but my conditions here in North Texas are better than some on the forum have.

Get into the habit of checking your tire pressure frequently.

Kenny G

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Kenny,

I checked the pressure last night and was planning to do a chain clean and lube over weekend. I will definitely check my chain every 500 miles. Appreciate the advice.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I do the chain like every 2nd week, still trying to find the best lube.. I've had the wurth dry lube, best reviews everywhere but it didn't work for me, now trying a wd40 wet chain lube, it's ok but messy..

As for the tire pressure, I have replaced the stock valve cap for a pressure alert one, really good stuff, no need for a gauge, just look if it goes yellow or red and inflate it..

https://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/motorcycle_parts/content_prod/74242

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I do the chain like every 2nd week, still trying to find the best lube.. I've had the wurth dry lube, best reviews everywhere but it didn't work for me, now trying a wd40 wet chain lube, it's ok but messy..

As for the tire pressure, I have replaced the stock valve cap for a pressure alert one, really good stuff, no need for a gauge, just look if it goes yellow or red and inflate it..

https://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/motorcycle_parts/content_prod/74242
I was thinking about picking up Motul chain lube. I heard it was good.

Has anyone used this Chain lube???

Attachments

·
Registered
742 Posts
i wonder why they changed the oil 3 x already? nothing wrong with it, just spending more money, unless they lived in really bad weather conditions. otherwise manual says 600 mile break in service then next oil change at 8k miles (or once a year).
as others have already said most importantly is keep the tires inflated correctly and chain inspection/lube is listed as every 600 miles.
personally I've used the Honda Lube, works great, and not messy IMO

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
i wonder why they changed the oil 3 x already? nothing wrong with it, just spending more money, unless they lived in really bad weather conditions. otherwise manual says 600 mile break in service then next oil change at 8k miles (or once a year).

as others have already said most importantly is keep the tires inflated correctly and chain inspection/lube is listed as every 600 miles.

personally I've used the Honda Lube, works great, and not messy IMO

He changed it often because he was very meticulous with the bike. Definitely not because of bad weather conditions since it’s a California bike. It has never seen rain or snow, always garaged.

But wow every 8k miles? That’s surprising to me. Seems like this bike needs very little maintenance

Can’t go wrong with Honda chain lube. Probably cheaper too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
316 Posts
Wow, sounds like you got a great bike that was really cared for.

Folks tell me I'm too anal about fluid changes also. :) Fluid is like the blood for us humans, keep it clean and things will run forever. I have a 2008 Elantra, change the oil every 3000 miles religiously and have over 148,000 miles with no problems at all.

Dealer says since I'm so anal about fluids he wouldn't be surprised if I get well over 300,000 on that car. Would be nice, but not sure I'll keep it that long.

Ride safe, ride secure. Keep your eyes open.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Wow, sounds like you got a great bike that was really cared for.

Folks tell me I'm too anal about fluid changes also. :) Fluid is like the blood for us humans, keep it clean and things will run forever. I have a 2008 Elantra, change the oil every 3000 miles religiously and have over 148,000 miles with no problems at all.

Dealer says since I'm so anal about fluids he wouldn't be surprised if I get well over 300,000 on that car. Would be nice, but not sure I'll keep it that long.

Ride safe, ride secure. Keep your eyes open.

Very true statements FLrebel. As long as you take care of vehicle and change the fluids often, the vehicle will live a long and healthy life. I really hope your Elantra lives up to 300k miles

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 10 of 10 Posts