Honda Rebel 300 & 500 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Finally got my TBR in Ceramic Black. When I say finally...I mean literally 5 days after ordering, but I'm impatient. Shipped from Apex Racing somewhere in US, Kentucky I think. Bought on e Bay, good deal overall. Global shipping program took care of import fees and taxes for crossing the border to Ontario, so it arrived to my doorstep without any additional fees as noted.

Box arrived damaged, but the contents were intact and well packed with foam all around.

Installation took 15 mins total - super easy. A little advice, take pics before installation for reference. Also, the tip doesn't go all the way in. Giggidy. Small gap at the end of the baffle where it meets the header pipe. Seems I may need silicone sealant, which the instructions call for. However, I did clamp it pretty tight - we'll see.

I attached a vid and some pics, but will post a proper video when I get a chance to warm it up. This was a cold start after sitting a few days, sorry didn't want to give it gas just yet.

I'll also provide a review and highlight any issues for those looking to get this in the future. First impressions...man you guys weren't kidding! Videos don't do justice. This thing is flipping LOUUUUUD. I could feel the garage walls shaking. Not winning over any neighbors, but wtv who cares. I don't think I'll ever get tired of this sound, but to each their own and I'm used loud set ups.

https://youtu.be/CM0BLoY-A_0

Attachments

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just finished installing mine too. I also put some high-temp silicon sealant just to be extra safe so yeah I haven't turned it on and heard the sound yet (waiting for the sealant to completely dry) but I just can't wait to ride my baby tonight /forum/images/smilies/biggrin.gif
Hey congrats...just noticed you put the clamp a little too high up, it needs to go further down. I found that made the leak better. But I definitely still need a sealant.

Did you find the tip didn't go all the way in on the pipe to where it touched the OEM header pipe "rim"? (So much wrong with this sentence).

How and where did you apply the sealant?

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Full review:

Get this exhaust. Absolutely amazing sound quality. Very easy install as highlighted in my original post (under 15 mins with 2 12mm wrenches. Even if you're completely mechanically inept, you can do this). Worth every penny IMO. It has transformed the bike completely. The sound matches the look 100%, and it no longer sounds week AF.

Installation Tip:

After you install, run the bike and put your hand just next to the clamp to see if you can feel some air coming out. More than likely you will. The tip doesn't go all the way in and flush with the rim at the header pipe. I got a silicone seal and put it around the clamp before tightening, and right around the tip of the muffler where it clamps. Then I pushed the clamp as far down as possible to where it was touching the rim and tightened it. Ran it for a bit and there was just a tiny bit of air still coming out, but zero leak after the seal bonded when the exhaust got hot. Picture attached.

Sound quality:

If this is a commuter bike that you start up at 6am every day and you live in a dense neighborhood, then this is not the right exhaust for you - you will wake up many toddlers and piss off neighbors. If you take this out for joy rides then this is exactly the right exhaust for you as is. I have no interest in making it quieter with a baffle. The difference is out of this world. I love the way it rumbles a little when you let off the gas, and it's so awesome to finally be able to hear when you need to shift instead of wind noise constantly anything above 3rd gear (full face helmet). Not a single video has done this exhaust justice. However loud you think it is...it's probably 10x louder off camera in person. I'm still getting my neighborhood used to it, so I hit the killswitch before pulling in, but really it's not obnoxious either. It doesn't feel like you're purposely trying to be loud...it just feels like if people never heard you pull in before with the stock muffler, they would totally say "yeah figured it would sounds like this".

It's got a deep tone, and I don't find it to be raspy or fart canish...

Note: sometimes when slowing down you do get some droning and it punctures your ear drums momentarily, but not in a bad way and it's not constant.

Performance:

Well, I'm happy to report that I didn't feel any "dead/flat spots" on it. Idles fine, no engine light, doesn't feel like it's struggling in any way. Absolutely zero gains either though. It drives exactly the same to me, although I found myself keeping it in gear longer and getting a few km/hr more with 1st and second gear. Not sure if this is performance gain, or just the fact that I can actually hear it clearly now as opposed to just feeling nothing but vibration with no clue where the red line is. Speaking of - vibration seems to have gone down for some reason...

In any case, no power loss or gain. Same bike, just feels nicer to go through the gears on. Shifting is more pleasurable IMO up and down, and it may "feel" faster, or that you're getting up to speed quicker, but it's not.

Looks:

It sticks out and up a bit more than OEM, but the finish is quite nice in the ceramic black. It looks like this was the stock muffler on this bike. Nice high quality finish and design. No complaints there.

Verdict:

This exhaust looks and sounds like it belongs on this particular bike. Don't be scared about being too loud, because there are louder bikes and cars out there, but be conscious of what you are using your bike for and you'll be fine. Daily commuter? Probably move away or silence it. And if you're in a neighborhood, don't pin it. I didn't get any dirty looks driving normal...even from old folk on their evening stroll. Again, it sounds like it belongs...

Get. It.

Attachments

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Couple hundred miles with the TBR already. Longest non stop run was about 3 hours. Haven't changed my mind about it even slightly. Full face helmet seems to be ok to protect ears from the very aggressive sound, although sometimes I wear ear plugs, but it's not necessary (only on longer and if I know I'll be going on higher speed runs, just protection from wind whistle really). With ear plugs you can still hear the exhaust note very clearly.

No complaints from neighbors, and passed by several cops and I got nothing but nods (that could be very relevant to what city you live in). Idling Harley's at stop lights are still louder, so nothing to worry about.

I'm happy with my choice and can easily justify the price. It's all about the experience, and if a few hundred $ takes your experience up to 11 then so be it wtv. No regrets.

Cheers

·
Registered
28 Posts
Couple hundred miles with the TBR already. Longest non stop run was about 3 hours. Haven't changed my mind about it even slightly. Full face helmet seems to be ok to protect ears from the very aggressive sound, although sometimes I wear ear plugs, but it's not necessary (only on longer and if I know I'll be going on higher speed runs, just protection from wind whistle really). With ear plugs you can still hear the exhaust note very clearly.

No complaints from neighbors, and passed by several cops and I got nothing but nods (that could be very relevant to what city you live in). Idling Harley's at stop lights are still louder, so nothing to worry about.

I'm happy with my choice and can easily justify the price. It's all about the experience, and if a few hundred $ takes your experience up to 11 then so be it wtv. No regrets.

Cheers
I totally agree. Have had the same experience so far (after about 1 week).

·
Registered
13 Posts
Yeah I just realized that after my mechanic friend saw the picture too so I lowered the clamp down a bit and tightened it on the middle. And holy smoke, this thing sounds like a beast! After 100 miles of daily riding (including going through many bumpy roads), this thing still performs well and no air leaks or performance drop whatsoever. But overall, my experience is mostly positive and SC48 have pretty much summarized my thoughts about this TBR slip-on :D

·
Registered
527 Posts
Does anyone here have the baffle installed on the TBR exhaust for the 300?
I do. It will depeen the tone a slight bit (lower frequency), but doesn't lower the overall volume of sound. Without the baffle my ears would be ringing after a long ride, with it the ringing stopped.

Are you guys riding at a constant speed with the TBR, and if so what speed?

I've had my TBR on my 300 for over a year now and loved it at first when my commute was mostly in town or suburbs. My new job consists of 20 mile stretches at 70-80mph. Couldn't stand it anymore and ended up ordering a stock exhaust again. Will be selling my TBR w/ baffle once it's in.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Oh man...sorry to hear you're getting rid of it.

I know what you're talking about with the ringing in the ears. I got that after riding without ear protection and a full face helmet for an extended period.

But I have to say, I did a full mom stop 3 hour ride, mostly cruising light to light around town and some bends, with a few stretches of cruising at 50-60 constantly, I got absolutely no buzzing in the ears when I wore a full face and plugs. Didn't compromise the exhaust note either.

Did you try ear plugs? It made a huge difference...

·
Registered
527 Posts
I admit with ear plugs it's a non-issue. Trouble is I always forget to put them on and realize I messed up after already starting to ride.

Glad you're liking the TBR. As much im putting the exhaust down now, I did love it when my riding was kept at 60mph or lower. So for anyone whose riding fits that bill, I still recommend it.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I admit with ear plugs it's a non-issue. Trouble is I always forget to put them on and realize I messed up after already starting to ride.

Glad you're liking the TBR. As much im putting the exhaust down now, I did love it when my riding was kept at 60mph or lower. So for anyone whose riding fits that bill, I still recommend it.
Nerd moment: I had a similar problem and kept forgetting, so now I always keep a spare in my jacket. The MPOW plugs I got came with a little carrying mini case and I just hooked it up to the inside of my jacket. It comes in handy when I realize I forgot or if one falls out or something...

Good luck with the sale ?

Attachments

·
Registered
18 Posts
Nice man! I have the TBR on my 300 also and was curious enough about how loud it ACTUALLY is that I just made this quick video. Check it out and let me know what you think! I sketch-ily hooked a decibel meter up to my bike to test it out!

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Nice man! I have the TBR on my 300 also and was curious enough about how loud it ACTUALLY is that I just made this quick video. Check it out and let me know what you think! I sketch-ily hooked a decibel meter up to my bike to test it out!

Love it. That's the video I WANTED to make...but you know...wtv, you can have it lol.

Thanks for the video, I'll never get tired of this exhaust note...it's just so loud, dramatic and all kinda theatrical - yes to all that.

Also, you actually helped me make up my mind on getting this exhaust by answering my question on one of your other videos on UTube. So thanks!

Never changing this exhaust..until of course V&H comes out, then I can put that on if the difference in note is significantly better. Doubt it.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Love it. That's the video I WANTED to make...but you know...wtv, you can have it lol.

Thanks for the video, I'll never get tired of this exhaust note...it's just so loud, dramatic and all kinda theatrical - yes to all that.

Also, you actually helped me make up my mind on getting this exhaust by answering my question on one of your other videos on UTube. So thanks!

Never changing this exhaust..until of course V&H comes out, then I can put that on if the difference in note is significantly better. Doubt it.
Haha well I'm glad I helped you make your decision! It really is an incredible sounding exhaust. Not what I expected out of a little single cylinder bike!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts