Honda Rebel 300 & 500 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I take my State sponsored motorcycle class this weekend. (as my name says...I'm a complete newbie) Never owned or even ridden a motorcycle before. I'm still undecided as to what to purchase. I'll think I'm settled on a model, then I change my mind. Sometimes it's the Rebel 500, then it's the Rebel 300. Other times it's a used small 300 sport bike, knowing I'm going to ride it for a year then sell it. (there are LOTS of them for sale) And there's a Kawasaki Vulcan S (used) for sale near me...tempting.

But I still like the idea of the Rebel 300. There's a cost savings...so if I 'outgrow' it...I won't take as much of a hit in the wallet when I sell it. My only concern is it could be under powered. But I don't know what's over or underpowered. I have no frame of reference. And as I've said in another thread, that clutch cover of the 500 banging into my ankle really bugs me. I know people here have said I'll get used to it, but I dunno about that. That's the only thing (but I think it's a big thing) that keeps me from considering the 500.

So I've never seen a thread or postings where people talk about satisfaction or regrets about buying the 300. So I put it out here on the forum: Any regrets buying the 300 instead of the 500?

·
Registered
417 Posts
there's a bunch of threads like that. some guy on here was so sure he was going to love the 300 two months later hated it. You're never going to know till you make a decision and even still the grass is always greener, i will say you can always get forward controls on the 500 and the crank case wouldn't be an issue any longer. or just look at some other bikes.

·
Registered
527 Posts
The only time I really "regret" having the 300 is when I'm reading comparisons of it to other bikes. While I'm on it riding, there's nothing it can't do that the bigger bikes can. Gets 75+ mpg, light and flickable, and can handle cruising 75-80mph no problem.

Unless you're planning on long interstate roads, you'd be fine on the 300. I'm sure everyone feels like they outgrow their bikes at some point. I feel that way about mine, but doesn't mean I'm not still enjoying it.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

·
Registered
13 Posts
:laugh:
I take my State sponsored motorcycle class this weekend. (as my name says...I'm a complete newbie) Never owned or even ridden a motorcycle before. I'm still undecided as to what to purchase. I'll think I'm settled on a model, then I change my mind. Sometimes it's the Rebel 500, then it's the Rebel 300. Other times it's a used small 300 sport bike, knowing I'm going to ride it for a year then sell it. (there are LOTS of them for sale) And there's a Kawasaki Vulcan S (used) for sale near me...tempting.

But I still like the idea of the Rebel 300. There's a cost savings...so if I 'outgrow' it...I won't take as much of a hit in the wallet when I sell it. My only concern is it could be under powered. But I don't know what's over or underpowered. I have no frame of reference. And as I've said in another thread, that clutch cover of the 500 banging into my ankle really bugs me. I know people here have said I'll get used to it, but I dunno about that. That's the only thing (but I think it's a big thing) that keeps me from considering the 500.

So I've never seen a thread or postings where people talk about satisfaction or regrets about buying the 300. So I put it out here on the forum: Any regrets buying the 300 instead of the 500?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hello, Ohio Newbie. Hope this helps. I was a new rider also. I was thinking of the 300 vs 500 before it came out. I knew I was going to be on the freeway and needed power just in case. I did feel before purchasing and get in on it that the clutch cover bothered me while standing still. I bought and been riding the 500 for a year now and its does not bother me at all. my emphasis is on riding. I did considered used bike, but for me I did not want to deal with mechanical issues. Power is sufficient for what I needed. not heavy at all to pull out of parking lots etc.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I was also in this boat. I will say that you will cherish the time you spent on the 300 if you're a new rider. I travel frequently on the freeway. You can go 115 km/h easily with lots of juice to pass. Lots of vibration thought, and it is a bit of a push. I think I should move up to the 500 next year. Even so, no regrets whatsoever. Even if you eventually grow out of this bike, the time you spend on it is well worth it for a new rider. Better to get a smaller bike and have it be too small for you after some time then to get a bike that was too much and be put off from riding. The 300 is a perfectly good bike. Where I grew up, people would consider the 300 a 'bigger' bike. It's just about perspective and, since you have no relative perspective as a new rider, I would say the 300 is also a good choice. Have fun, and ride safe.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Frankly, I don't know why anyone would buy the 300 when the 500 is only a little more. When I choose to make a big purchase I tend to want something that's going to last for the future. The 300 isn't a strong bike and you'll quickly grow tired of it. I'm passing that advice to you because a 2nd cousin who rides a Harley passed it on to me when I bought the 500...and you know what? He was right. I love my 500 but I would have been happier with something a bit more powerful. So consider the choices wisely. I was also a new rider when I bought my 500.

·
Registered
80 Posts
It's important not to project our own perspectives on to others. For a few weeks, I wasn't sure how I was going to handle such a heavy bike (with my 300) because I had only been on those small displacement trailbikes they use in the safety training course here. Now, it seems light as paper to me. Advice from experience is one thing. But claims that no one should get the 300 are absolutely ridiculous. No offense to anyone, I always like to err on the side of caution when giving advice about motorcycling. A new rider's priority should always be the present, and safety, rather than looking down the road (no pun intended) to a future that can be influenced by so many variables. The better route, I believe personally, is to start small, then move up, with anything new in life.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Absolutely no regrets here! I have been riding for about 25 years and spent 10 of those drag racing motorcycles in a semi pro class. I have owned several very, very powerful bikes and honestly i grew INTO my 300. Out of more than 20 motorcycles, i have never owned one I felt I would keep indefinitely until now.
For me it is the perfect balance of weight, power, comfort, ergonomics, styling, and ease of maintenance.
I rode the 500 also, but honestly, I was smiling bigger when I got back on the 300, so i went with my gut.
It's also a bonus that it happens to be the one my wife has most liked to tag along on. She swore off the R6 forever after 20 minutes sitting back there, and wasn't much for riding along on a few others. Now if I roll it out, I hear.....Am I going too? The bike gets along just fine with both of us.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Absolutely no regrets here! I have been riding for about 25 years and spent 10 of those drag racing motorcycles in a semi pro class. I have owned several very, very powerful bikes and honestly i grew INTO my 300. Out of more than 20 motorcycles, i have never owned one I felt I would keep indefinitely until now.
For me it is the perfect balance of weight, power, comfort, ergonomics, styling, and ease of maintenance.
I rode the 500 also, but honestly, I was smiling bigger when I got back on the 300, so i went with my gut.
It's also a bonus that it happens to be the one my wife has most liked to tag along on. She swore off the R6 forever after 20 minutes sitting back there, and wasn't much for riding along on a few others. Now if I roll it out, I hear.....Am I going too? The bike gets along just fine with both of us.

Considering I take delivery in about 6 hours...this is REALLY REALLY good to hear.

·
Super Moderator
1,114 Posts
There is no such thing as the perfect bike for all conditions. Buy the 300 and save your money for that 1800cc later if you think you'll need it. Keep the 300 no matter what, you'll thank me for saying that later. Once you have both bikes in your stable, see which one gets used more often...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts