Honda Rebel 300 & 500 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking into getting a rebel 300 as my second motorcycle. I currently have a SYM Wolf Classic 150 (yeah, you've probably never heard of it, but think of an old cb125 but made in 2015). I absolutely love the thing, but I want something a little more powerful, specifically for highway riding. I know the first thing I'll be told is to get the 500, but, to be honest, the 500 is a little too expensive for me - I'm a broke college student with a bit of extra cash. The most important things for me are fuel economy and weight, so I'm firmly set on the 300. I don't think I'll get bored with the smaller engine any time soon either; I've had my little 150 for 4 years and I still love it. I'm 5'11" and about 180 pounds, and I can manage the 55 mph highways in rural Pennsylvania where I live just fine with my 14 horsepower, but to go anywhere interesting, I need to get on the interstate where the speed limit is 65, but it's still only 2 lanes and people generally go about 65-70. I've watched a few videos from YouTubers on their experience with the 300 on highways, and the general consensus is that 70-75 is sustainable, but there's not much left over. I'm okay with that, though - I just want to be able to get on the thing. Obviously the 300 is far from the best choice for highway cruising, but it just looks so darn good, and I've got a sweet spot for small bikes.

Sorry for the long post, my main questions are what's it like to live with the 300 and what is the highway experience like?

·
Registered
337 Posts
You'll get up to highway speed and can sustain it yeah...but it's sooooooo buzzy. I mean technically, you can break any posted speed limit in US and Can on this thing, but like you said, nothing left in reserve. If you need to get away when you're already at the max, your only option is to decelerate/swerve.

I hate taking my 300 on the highway, but it works great in town. My advice, save up the extra 1500 or wtv it is and go for the 500. It's a lot more bike for not a whole lot more money...

·
Registered
2019 Rebel 300
179 Posts
The 300 is the smallest road bike I have ever owned in my over 50 years of riding.It is fun but if you re doing LOTS of freeway riding it's not the bike for you. It will do it just fine and you will be reving the heck out of it, if you do mostly surface streets the 300 will be a GREAT motovator!

·
Registered
2017 Rebel 500
17 Posts
I have two bikes - the CRF250 Rally and the Rebel 500. My commute is roughly 80 miles round trip all on back roads, but they're deserted long and straight. I ride them at 65 to 70 there's no one on them. I have about 18,000 miles on my Rally - which is a taller bike but very similar in power and weight specs to the Rebel 300. I loved every one of those miles. You'll b e fine

I do love the more power and smoother engine of the Rebel 500 though. So the more money for the 500 is worth it - but if money is tight and needed elsewhere, I believe that you'll be fine with the 300

·
Registered
440 Posts
From the experiences posted here 300 is capable but if you can deal with vibrations ( I'm sure you can. You have a sym 150 ) you'll be ok .

·
Registered
2019 Rebel ABS
2 Posts
While part of me wishes I forked up the extra cash for a 500, my 300 is incredibly fun still and I don't have to highway ride often so it works out. Got a great deal. I would say the wind is pretty bad once you get over 55 and I believe this is an issue on both models that can be corrected otherwise. Im same height as you, little lighter. She can do 90 tops, sometimes more or less tbh depending on conditions (someone our size) That's top for reference. Benefit of 500 will be cruising at 60-70 is prob way less buzzy though tbh

·
Registered
27 Posts
I'm an advocate of he 300. I live in central Indiana and do most of my riding on flat 30-45 mph city/county roads, with frequent rides on state 55 mph roads, and some Interstate 70 mph. I'm comfortable on all those roads but enjoy the slow county roads for a purpose of freedom. My 300 is happy with going 75-80 in the I-70 . I'm 79 years old and not in a hurry to get to the grocery store or the disc golf course.

·
Registered
120 Posts
The wife and i just took our first interstate ride and she got her 300 up to 83 mph about 133 kilometers and I got the 500 up to 90 mph about 144 kilometers. We both let up but I am sure she was near her top speed. The ol girls took it well. With that being said I think you will do fine with the 300 in my opinion. My wife has ridden with me on her 300 on a couple of day trips about a 160 miles with speeds of 65 and 55 nice curvy mountain roads. she had no problem maintaining her speed.

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2 Posts
What's it like to live with the 300 and what is the highway experience like?
I frequently take my 300 on the freeway without issue. Like others have said, you're really getting to the limits of the bike as you get up around ~80mph, and that'll be wide open with a back-wind, but if you can handle the thumper buzzing like it does, it'll get you there.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts