Honda Rebel 300 & 500 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all!

3 months with my Rebel 500, and wanted to share a few thoughts.

Highway Riding - I've taken a few road trips so far, and overall I am very pleased with how the Rebel handles the highway. No issues with speed and power. The Rebel can cruise 70-80 miles per hour without struggling. Only time I get sketchy is when a semi passes, I have to move over some so the wind force is minimal. This is where a little more weight/stability would be nice. Fuel economy is awesome, for 5 dollars I can ride all weekend, crossing the state and back home.

Local Riding - Rebel is perfect for this. I cross over a few Railroad tracks that were pretty hard on my back. I turned the shocks up one click, and this problem has been resolved.

Seat comfort - This is something I will be upgrading. For shorter rides the seat is fine. My backside gets tired after about 2 hours.

Exahust - I have some pros and cons here. Most days I leave my house at 5AM, so I like the quieter exhaust since it doesn't bother my neighbors. Appearance wise, this is the one thing I would change. That muffler is huge! I would love to put a smaller pipe on it, but for now it will stay stock.

Headlight - For the most part I think the light is adequate. I live in a pretty rural area, so the roads are very dark in the morning until I get to town. I ride with my high beam on until I get to civilization, but this is something I will be upgrading very soon.

Controls - being that this is my first motorcycle, I don't have much reference to compare. I've gotten used to where everything is located. I've read reviews where the braking gets knocked for being underpowered, but for me personally I've never had any issues stopping on time. After a long ride I feel like my hands are still a little "buzzy". I think I'll try some better gloves before I change the handgrips.

Maintenance - I haven't done a whole lot of maintenance yet, but so far all the fluids are easy to check. Chain cleaning and lubing is a breeze. I had my first oil change done at the dealer, but the drain plug and filter are easily accessible.

I was unsure if I would outgrow the Rebel, so far I would have to say no. I've gotten very comfortable with it and I can see myself keeping this long-term. I'm curious to see how well the Rebel can carry a passenger, this will most likely be the deciding factor in how long I stay with the Rebel. I'm going to add the passenger kit soon and see how well it handles 2 adults.

I'd love to hear your thoughts/opinions!

-CG

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've just passed my 3,500 miles mark and totally agree with your post.
I can't agree with you more on the seat comfort, I'm thinking of getting a Corbin Gunfighter seat.

Do you have any thoughts on that?

Ride safely.
The Corbin is really nice, but a bit out of my budget. I've seen some nice seats for under 200 bucks (HRP motors and Motozaaa) that should work just fine. I'm not in a super rush to make any changes, there's more and more aftermarket seats popping up for the Rebel so just a matter of time and patience to get a sweet deal.

-CG

·
Registered
199 Posts
The Corbin is really nice, but a bit out of my budget. I've seen some nice seats for under 200 bucks (HRP motors and Motozaaa) that should work just fine. I'm not in a super rush to make any changes, there's more and more aftermarket seats popping up for the Rebel so just a matter of time and patience to get a sweet deal.

-CG
I'd avoid the HRP seat. Had a look at it over at the dealership and it's pretty slim and flimsy. Not worth the money for what you're getting IMO. I'm considering getting a seat from motozaaa as well, but to be honest, I added extra padding to the stock seat and for the time being it serves its purpose alright

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

·
Registered
199 Posts
I think the least expensive pursuit of a comfortable seat is going to be a custom auto upholstery shop.

Have them add as much foam, and possibly a gel pad, and a custom cover to suit you.

Kenny G
Am actually thinking of going down that road - My plan is to get the Motozaaa seat as a backup, and try to add a layer of gel to my current, re-padded seat, and then compare the difference.

Either way this is solid advice IMO

·
Registered
108 Posts
I've done just over 2500miles in the 3 months I've owned mine too. All valid Points, the seat does leave you wanting more comfort and the headlight is a little on the weak side. I'm not especially happy with the tyres either, they often leave me a little doubtful in the wet on roundabouts. I've changed my exhaust to something a bit more shouty.........which always makes me smile. It has enough power to use with confidence. I'm not a fan of bikes that you can't give a big twist without a scare, I love the fact I can use all the power whenever I want and still have fun. It's a great machine. I will outgrow it, but I think I'll just keep it as a second bike when I upgrade, and make it my winter workhorse.

·
Registered
9 Posts
The owner's manual for the rebel 300 2017 says a maximum weight capacity of 350 pounds. I don't know if Honda put that to be precisely on point before real handling issues occur at higher than 40 mph speeds, or of they are just playing it safe by a good 25% cushion. Odd thing is, unless I misread something in that manual, Honda claims the same for the rebel 500 which makes no sense to me given the bigger engine and 40 ish heavier pounds overall. ( shrugs shoulders).

·
Registered
88 Posts
The owner's manual for the rebel 300 2017 says a maximum weight capacity of 350 pounds. I don't know if Honda put that to be precisely on point before real handling issues occur at higher than 40 mph speeds, or of they are just playing it safe by a good 25% cushion. Odd thing is, unless I misread something in that manual, Honda claims the same for the rebel 500 which makes no sense to me given the bigger engine and 40 ish heavier pounds overall. ( shrugs shoulders).
Cargo capacity is usually dictated by frame design and suspension/braking capacity, not power delivery or engine capacity.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Yes, that makes sense, but one could design the frame to support an extra 200 pounds in addition to a 200 pound rider all day long. However, if the overall power of the bike's design isn't taken into account to support pulling that extra weight, then there is only one part of the two-part equation that has been resolved.

Just because I have a trailer hitch on my 05 civic si hatchback car that supports towing 3000 pounds on wheels, doesn't mean my transmission and engine are meant to handle that without suffering legit damage. The comparison info in my owner's manual about total weight supported in the 300 versus the 500 puzzles me given that everything about the 300 and 500 are exactly the same except the engine size and weight. So the whole thing about frame design, suspension/brake capacity, etc unfortunately doesn't matter here. All good vibes intended as I'm just trying to narrow this down some.

I adjusted the rear shocks' preload to 4, aired up the tires from 21.5 psi to 35 ( GotGear Motorsports in Ridgeland ms didn't check them before selling me the bike recently) and now it feels like a balanced cruising dream :). I'm also finally get much closer to the advertised mpg ( still breaking her in though)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts