Honda Rebel 300, 500, & 1100 Forum banner

2021 rebel 300 engine guards

4K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  LesS 
#1 ·
hi….I just bought a new 2021 rebel 300 with ABS. At the dealer I bought OEM crash bars from Puig that were marketed in the catalogue as 300/500. To install, the guards make the motor mount bolt too short to properly wrench on to the bike. The only way they fit my 300 is to remove—-and leave out—-the front motor mount bolt and spacers. I was not comfortable with this, as if you hit the guard hard enough it quite possibly go into the engine. Totally negating the purpose of the crash bars!!!! Plus, uh, hello, not as safe and sturdy without that mount.
Called Puig and they said, no, in fact they do not have a set for the 300 for this very reason and do not sell a bolt 1 inch longer. Nor does Ace, THD, Lowes, Kawasaki, Honda or any auto parts store. And not at J&p either.
So I am returning them to the dealership.
eBay says everything on there is not compatible when you do their little compatibility checker.
Amazon has a set that SAYS it fits but it is literally the ONLY one that says it works, so I am thinking probably not. It has rebel graphic in the pic and is called “crash bar engine guard protection and bag set for honda CMX rebel 300, 500 2017-2021 all model”

Is this a legit fit? I see the mount bolt in the pic but…..???
I’m already held up $210 refund for the ones from Puig and don’t really want to be out another couple hundred.

PLEASE HELP!!

See less See more
#2 ·
hi….I just bought a new 2021 rebel 300 with ABS. At the dealer I bought OEM crash bars from Puig that were marketed in the catalogue as 300/500. To install, the guards make the motor mount bolt too short to properly wrench on to the bike. The only way they fit my 300 is to remove—-and leave out—-the front motor mount bolt and spacers. I was not comfortable with this, as if you hit the guard hard enough it quite possibly go into the engine. Totally negating the purpose of the crash bars!!!! Plus, uh, hello, not as safe and sturdy without that mount.
Called Puig and they said, no, in fact they do not have a set for the 300 for this very reason and do not sell a bolt 1 inch longer. Nor does Ace, THD, Lowes, Kawasaki, Honda or any auto parts store. And not at J&p either.
eBay says everything on there is not compatible when you do their little compatibility checker.
Amazon has a set that SAYS it fits but it is literally the ONLY one that says it works, so I am thinking probably not. It has rebel graphic in the pic and is called “crash bar engine guard protection and bag set for honda CMX rebel 300, 500 2017-2021 all model”

I’m already held up $210 refund for the ones from Puig and don’t really want to be out another couple hundred.

PLEASE HELP!!
Check out the T-Rex Engine cage. It offers the best protection. It can also double as a highway foot rest if you have small feet. Hehe

#6 ·
My 2020 Rebel has an engine guard that the bolt was too short. I had a mechanic friend installing it and he and I went to every hardware store and found one 2 inches longer and he put washers on it to take up the dead space and it worked perfectly. I don't remember the bolt size now, but take the too short one to ACE or some other hardware store and check them all out.

#7 ·

PLEASE HELP!!
I got the same exact bike and same exact problem, luckily I was refunded on one of the ones from Amazon for PUIG. I saw this one on Amazon that picture shows is a big enough bolt that goes through and through so I’m thinking to get this:For Honda Rebel 500 300 CMX 300 500 CMX300 CMX500 2017 2018 2019 2020 Highway Engine Guard Crash Bar Bumper Frame Protection https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08R1V3VGN/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_4MHBZEEG64SF3KDH5AY7 But...did you find any that fits so far?

#8 · (Edited)
I got the same exact bike and same exact problem, luckily I was refunded on one of the ones from Amazon for PUIG. I saw this one on Amazon that picture shows is a big enough bolt that goes through and through so I’m thinking to get this:For Honda Rebel 500 300 CMX 300 500 CMX300 CMX500 2017 2018 2019 2020 Highway Engine Guard Crash Bar Bumper Frame Protection Amazon.com: R&P For Honda Rebel 500 300 CMX 300 500 CMX300 CMX500 2017 2018 2019 2020 Highway Engine Guard Crash Bar Bumper Frame Protection : Automotive But...did you find any that fits so far?
this one involves removing the bolt from the frame, which I am not comfortable doing. Looks like there isn't any crash guard that can be clamped on to the frame.

#9 · (Edited)
How to mount Rebel 500 crash bars on a Rebel 300 if you DON'T have the long lower bolt - remove the two lower front motor mount bolts and replace with one 3/8" threaded rod from Home Depot. You need washers and nuts, also. Threaded rod should be 14.5 to 16 inch long - put it in place with all washers and nuts BEFORE you cut it. Use hacksaw to cut it. When you cut it, you can just leave the rod installed on the bike if you are careful.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.