Honda Rebel 300, 500, & 1100 Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

Been riding for many years. Decided to go with the 1100 DCT because it fits me better than any bike I've ever owned. However, there are a couple of things I detest about this bike. The 3 gal tank is a pain when riding in Montana and the shocks are absolutely terrible. I'm 130 lbs, had the preset at 9 clicks, hit a couple of bad bumps and REALLY hurt my back. If I can't find aftermarket shocks that will not alter the height of this bike she is going on the sell block. Any suggestions you have would be much appreciated. Thanks Penny

·
Registered
Bolt
296 Posts
I heard the 1100 rear springs were too stiff and at 130 lbs, they'd be WAY too stiff. Most bikes are setup with weak springs up front and stiff in rear. It's been my experience that they eventually soften after many thousands of miles.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Hi All,

Been riding for many years. Decided to go with the 1100 DCT because it fits me better than any bike I've ever owned. However, there are a couple of things I detest about this bike. The 3 gal tank is a pain when riding in Montana and the shocks are absolutely terrible. I'm 130 lbs, had the preset at 9 clicks, hit a couple of bad bumps and REALLY hurt my back. If I can't find aftermarket shocks that will not alter the height of this bike she is going on the sell block. Any suggestions you have would be much appreciated. Thanks Penny
The preload maybe to low and the shocks could be hitting bottom according to one video I watched. Try more preload and less preload to see if it is better, two clicks at a time. If it gets better try more of the same and then with one click.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Put a zip tie on the shaft of the rear shock. It it imbeds itself in the bumber preload is too soft. If it never touches the bumber then preload is too hard.

You can also measure and mark the fork travel (numbers are in the owners manual) and use a zip tie around the fork and see where you are in regard to fork travel. You want maximum travel without bottoming on rough roads. You might also reduce tire pressure 1 or 2 pounds. I also put an AirHawk cushion on the stock seat (very little air) and it helped the jarring over rough roads. I do long day rides of 130-230 miles at a time. It took me a few tries to get my setup to work for me.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi All, thanks so much for your replies. I have the zip tie on my bike as we speak. Thought I had it just right until I hit those bumps. I also go on many long rides. One of my favorite loops is 320 miles through the Pioneer Mountains. However, it will take a while for my back to heal and I don't want to trust these shocks again. Has anyone tried the YSS shocks? I would like to get the Burly Brand but they raise the bike 2" and I don't want that.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Yeah the rear shocks aren't great. Aside from its lack of damping, if you set your sag correctly then you still bottom out easily over harder hits but if you add enough preload to not bottom out then the ride is too firm and you feel more of the smaller bumps and dips in the road. I've settled with less preload to better absorb smaller road imperfections since we have more of those than larger bumps.

I will probably try out the YSS shocks over the winter. I contacted them on facebook and only a few owners have bought them so far. I saw one person on the facebook group post about them but they didn't respond when I asked about the ride quality.

I've seen people mention liking the Burly Brand shocks but I have a hard time believing they're going to be good quality for how inexpensive they are.

Another issue that contributes to the ride quality is the seat. The stock one lacks adequate padding which means you'll feel more of the road imperfections that make it past the shocks. The cheap way to help with that is to get an air cushion. The more expensive way is to get the seat recovered to increase the padding. That's what I did and it made a noticeable difference in the feel of the rear end.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah the rear shocks aren't great. Aside from its lack of damping, if you set your sag correctly then you still bottom out easily over harder hits but if you add enough preload to not bottom out then the ride is too firm and you feel more of the smaller bumps and dips in the road. I've settled with less preload to better absorb smaller road imperfections since we have more of those than larger bumps.

I will probably try out the YSS shocks over the winter. I contacted them on facebook and only a few owners have bought them so far. I saw one person on the facebook group post about them but they didn't respond when I asked about the ride quality.

I've seen people mention liking the Burly Brand shocks but I have a hard time believing they're going to be good quality for how inexpensive they are.

Another issue that contributes to the ride quality is the seat. The stock one lacks adequate padding which means you'll feel more of the road imperfections that make it past the shocks. The cheap way to help with that is to get an air cushion. The more expensive way is to get the seat recovered to increase the padding. That's what I did and it made a noticeable difference in the feel of the rear end.
Please post and let us know what you think of the YSS. As I stated above I've been riding for a long time. Owned several different bikes and to be honest never messed with the suspensions. Some were better than others but not a one ever bottomed out or caused me pain. If I didn't like this bike so much she would be down the road. Other than new shocks I've jumped through just about every hoop. Adjusted preload, new seat, air cushion, pull back risers. Willing to spend the bucks on new shocks as well if someone can verify they're worth it.

Thanks a bunch for your response and suggestions.

Penny

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi All,

Try eating more lasagna

·
Registered
40 Posts
Hi All,

Hello - for reference, I am 200lbs without gear. I set my preload at 12 clicks. I prefer a stiff ride that doesn’t bottom out versus a soft ride that does. I am surprised that at 130 lbs nine clicks is not enough to prevent bottoming out. Maybe you have huge potholes in Montana.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Hello - for reference, I am 200lbs without gear. I set my preload at 12 clicks. I prefer a stiff ride that doesn’t bottom out versus a soft ride that does. I am surprised that at 130 lbs nine clicks is not enough to prevent bottoming out. Maybe you have huge potholes in Montana.
For the small gas tank, you can always carry a couple 1L gas bottles with you. Not a lot but could add 20 miles to your range.

·
Registered
2 Posts
To hell with it. Just ordered the YSS shocks. Not going to get back on that bike until I install and adjust.

Thanks to all who responded.

Penny
Hi Penny,

Fellow DCT rider, 5'-4.5" 135lb with gear, 29" inseam, been making adjustments to fit me, 2' rox risers, forward seat, air seat and sheep skin cover over that. I needed more room between my legs and pegs, much better now. I am also looking for better shocks, and was looking at the YSS but to chicken to purchase yet, especially since I can't find them from a website I am familiar with.

Really excited to hear how your new YSS shocks work, hoping they smooth everything out for you.

Which YSS shocks did you buy?

Who did you order them from?

I'm looking at these:
Font Engineering Parallel Camera accessory Machine

Best of luck!!
Lea

1 - 19 of 19 Posts