Honda Rebel 300 & 500 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2020 CMX500A
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone! I’m a brand new rider and just got a 2020 Rebel 500 ABS. I’m looking to install a battery tender Quick disconnect onto the battery but honestly I’m lost. I can’t figure out how to get the cover off and afraid of pulling a tab I’m not suppose to and breaking it. Can anyone help guide me? I would really appreciate the help! I’ve included a picture of the cover. I’m guessing the black tab is for the data connector. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
2020 CMX500A
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Never mind I figured it out. Thanks though! That cover is tough to get out!

·
Registered
356 Posts
Dont take this the wrong way but....

Have you checked to see if the bike comes with a tender already? To my surprise, my 2019 came with a tender (brand new bike, not used)... apparently, a few folks with a 2019 300 or 500 also have this as standard. Would be surprised if they removed it for 2020 models, but it also could depend on location.

It's a little red cap right by coolant cap on the left side...check it out.

·
Registered
2020 CMX500A
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks! I checked and there’s nothing there. That would have been awesome. I ended up finding my way through the battery and fed the quick disconnect through the right side panel.

·
Registered
2020 CMX500A
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yea totally Sooty. I actually fed it down a bit below the bar and zip tied it with one of the cables so I didn’t have to take the panel off every time.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Did your bike come with an owners manual? Page 68 and 69 shows the steps in detail how to get the battery cover off.

·
Registered
2020 CMX500A
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hey rws! Yes it did and I actually was able to figure out. I think I was just trying to be too careful not to pull or break anything haha. Thank you though!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey guys im new here... trying to access my battery and I was only able to remove the red tab... i cant seen to find the tab on the other connecter (the big fat one). I have my owner manual here and i cant find the tab according to the illustration in the manual... where is the tab exactly ?

·
Registered
343 Posts
Hey guys im new here... trying to access my battery and I was only able to remove the red tab... i cant seen to find the tab on the other connecter (the big fat one). I have my owner manual here and i cant find the tab according to the illustration in the manual... where is the tab exactly ? View attachment 33465
the black connector should slide off the mounting tab just like the red DLC connector did

slide the black connector to left towards the left side frame

for those who can't figure out how to get the battery cover off there is another option for a direct 12v power supply hookup

remove seat
remove ground cable from battery (no need to remove battery cover...the negative cable is easily accessible )
remove left side cover
remove the socket bolt from starter relay that attaches the red cable from the battery
hook positive lead from battery tender harness to the removed socket bolt and tighten socket bolt
thread the negative lead from battery tender harness over to negative battery post and reconnect the ground cable

·
Registered
2 Posts
the black connector should slide off the mounting tab just like the red DLC connector did

slide the black connector to left towards the left side frame

for those who can't figure out how to get the battery cover off there is another option for a direct 12v power supply hookup

remove seat
remove ground cable from battery (no need to remove battery cover...the negative cable is easily accessible )
remove left side cover
remove the socket bolt from starter relay that attaches the red cable from the battery
hook positive lead from battery tender harness to the removed socket bolt and tighten socket bolt
thread the negative lead from battery tender harness over to negative battery post and reconnect the ground cable

Thx on the reply but the thing is I cant locate the tab on the big black connector as I did on the red one.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Thx on the reply but the thing is I cant locate the tab on the big black connector as I did on the red one.
There's a tab on the underside you push up...works in the same manner as you did to remove the red DLC connector

this is not the same plug as on your bike but shows where the tab is...push it up to unlock and slide plug off

1 - 13 of 13 Posts