Honda Rebel 300, 500, & 1100 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Honda Rebel 300
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bike hiccups / tries to stall for first 5 minutes despite warming up before riding. I have had this issues few months ago continuously for about a week or two. I thought of going to dealer but the problem went away itself, so I ignored it. Now, the problem is back again. This time I have decided not to ignore it, because it could be something major.

I warm-up the bike and let engine run ideal for few minutes and I start to ride. On 2nd-3rd gear steady riding ~20mph the bike gives some hiccups, the feeling of losing its throttle power, the throttle won't work when that happens. It happens for quick few seconds, but repeats for every 5-10 seconds come and goes. If i keep ignore it and keep riding sometime the engine shuts off losing all power, but I can quick self start and but keep riding. After 10 minutes of so, the bike gets normal.

PS: I've never had any start issues, No gear issues, no check engine lights or anything.
PS: bike has 2.5k miles. First service done in 600miles. Always done short trip, once a while 20-30 miles. Never done freeway.
This is exactly same thing it was doing few months ago for about a week and the issues went away itself. Now, here it is again.

So, here I am , a newbie, today looking for an expert help and some view on this strange issues.
I'd appreciate any suggestion/ advice.

·
Registered
2019 Rebel 300A/2020 CB500F A
578 Posts
There are some dead spots in acceleration on the 300 I noticed in general. However:

• check loose battery connection.
  • you mentioned short trips...maybe it's not enough to hold a full charge (over 80% or more) or recharge altogether. Try using a battery tender to maintain even daily because of short trips.
  • how old or fresh is the fuel?
  • any intake or exhaust mods?

Those are common culprits...

·
Registered
2019 Honda Rebel 300
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
There are some dead spots in acceleration on the 300 I noticed in general. However:

• check loose battery connection.
  • you mentioned short trips...maybe it's not enough to hold a full charge (over 80% or more) or recharge altogether. Try using a battery tender to maintain even daily because of short trips.
  • how old or fresh is the fuel?
  • any intake or exhaust mods?
Those are common culprits...
Unfortunately, I am not good when it comes to motorbikes. I have never even tried to check battery in their (never thought it could be culprit).
Yes, 90% of the trips on this bike is daily short trips of 5-10 miles or less. Once a week, maybe ~30miles. Never done freeway. I refill the Gas (fuel?) ever 2 weeks or so.
Everything is stock, nothing modified.

·
Registered
2017 Rebel 500 Black
945 Posts
I have had something similar on another bike. It was a faulty electrical connection. I would check all connections.

·
Registered
2019 Honda Rebel 300
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have had something similar on another bike. It was a faulty electrical connection. I would check all connections.
Well, unfortunately I am not good with bike repair, I am technical though, but never checked bike mechanism. What components/connections on priority basic would you suggest me to look for culprit?

·
Registered
60 Posts
mine did the same ****. took it to a shop and it didnt do it when they had it and started when i got it back. for some reason it just stopped stuttering. i tried making sure the battery was tight, put a battery tinder and used fuel injector cleaner.

·
Registered
2019 Rebel 300A/2020 CB500F A
578 Posts
Well, unfortunately I am not good with bike repair, I am technical though, but never checked bike mechanism. What components/connections on priority basic would you suggest me to look for culprit?
The main culprit is usually one of the battery cables at the terminal. Right under the seat, quite accessible. Owner's manual has a very detailed step by step to get to it. And in case you're looking for the owners manual, it's under the seat also lol (literally on the bottom of the seat attached via a rubber strap). Pull the back of the cushion as if you're peeling something, and you'll find 2 screws. I think you'll need a 6mm Allen (or is it 8? Not sure, but there is one actually in the right side plastic cover). Loosen those (they dont come off) and just pull back on the seat. Good luck!

·
Registered
2019 Honda Rebel 300
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
mine did the same ****. took it to a shop and it didnt do it when they had it and started when i got it back. for some reason it just stopped stuttering. i tried making sure the battery was tight, put a battery tinder and used fuel injector cleaner.
lol right on. I took a dealer service shop earlier today (dealer), the guy took it for a spin for few minutes and came back saying he didn't find anything wrong. And said that they would charge me $150 for diagnosis. Though, It's still under manufacture warranty and also extended 6 years warranty I paid for. Dealer / Services shop try to make money on us, so I hate them, so I am here trying to get basic idea of this stuff and possibly save $$.
BTW, you saying your stopped doing that issues any more? or did it eve come back? Mine came back after 3 months, had gone away itself, now its back, so I am taking this seriously this time. I will check on the battery today.

·
Registered
60 Posts
mine did it for almost a year i didnt ride it much. now i ride it to work 3 days a week and it doesn't do it anymore. maybe it was the lucas injector cleaner that fixed it? not sure

·
Registered
2019 Honda Rebel 300
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Update: Well, as suggested by someone on this forum, I opened the gas cap and let it open for few minutes before riding and it didn't do it. I am going to try this little tricks few more days and will confirm if that actually is working. It was suspected that it might be due to vapor lock during hot weather, which clearly made sense to me because bike always been out in sun all day nowadays.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts