Honda Rebel 300 & 500 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am just curious, why no one on this forum seems to be discussing the 2018's and 2019 Rebel's? I know they haven't changed diddly to them other than fuel tank colors, I don't think they made any improvements, such as a gear shift indicator or better Speedo Head or seat, or etc., Almost wish they had. Have noticed the prices are surging for the 2019's.

I am still contemplating my short stature and what the ride might be like going from a 250 Rebel to a 500 ABS Rebel. I am still concerned about handlebars, and height. I am 5'2" with like a 26" maybe smaller inseam. I can flat foot my 250 just fine on both sides. The 500 I sat on in the showroom I could flat foot one side and plant the ball of my other foot on the other side. I'd feel better flat footing on both sides.

For what ever reason I guess I am letting the weight of the 500 ABS bother me-I do like the lightness of the 250 but I live in a rural area in KS and the 250 just does 65 to 70 mph and that is pushing it. I am 240 pounds and 57 years young.

So maybe I am losing my mind already even contemplating buying a new one. I am sure I can't be the only one in this boat, but have never owned a new two wheeler always been used, just not finding used here in the Midwest U.S.A.

I do enjoy my Can-Am Spyder RT but still enjoy a 2 wheel experience as well. I know if I don't like it I can sell or put it on consignment or what not.

Any one else's head spins like mine does? Good old OCD! Gotta love it! (NOT)! :wink2:

·
Registered
167 Posts
Hey Elembytes,

First thing, what's with the bold print in all your posts? Not keen on it myself.

Secondly, you've had these same head spins for months now. Are you no closer to making a decision?

Sounds like maybe you should stick to what you have IMO. Use your 250 for that two wheel fix you need now and then and use your Can-Am for when you want more pace/power. Everyone here is happy to help out wherever they can but you've raised these same questions several times and received lots of opinions. There comes a time where you just need to make the decision for yourself.

Please don't take this wrong, I'm not ragging on you. I'm just trying to nudge you into making up your own mind.

I truly do hope you make the right choice for you.

Cheers

·
Registered
136 Posts
If it's as rural as you make it sound where you live then flat footing should not be (in my opinion) a priority purchasing point because you will have long stretches of not needing to touch the ground at all so if the bike fits, it fits! And you can quickly practice planting the one foot that reaches, presumably left foot first so right foot can brake. But to each their own on that one. Perhaps ask the dealer if they have any ability to drop the suspension slightly to cater to your shorter stature? If you haven't taken it for a test ride, then take it for a ride and then you will truly know how bad that foot reach problem is before you pick up a new bike.

·
Registered
715 Posts
Hey Elembytes,

First thing, what's with the bold print in all your posts? Not keen on it myself.

Secondly, you've had these same head spins for months now. Are you no closer to making a decision?

Sounds like maybe you should stick to what you have IMO. Use your 250 for that two wheel fix you need now and then and use your Can-Am for when you want more pace/power. Everyone here is happy to help out wherever they can but you've raised these same questions several times and received lots of opinions. There comes a time where you just need to make the decision for yourself.

Please don't take this wrong, I'm not ragging on you. I'm just trying to nudge you into making up your own mind.

I truly do hope you make the right choice for you.

Cheers
I’m with Fletch 100%.

·
Registered
190 Posts
My inseams are about 26" too but I can flat-foot on the Rebel 500 ABS by wearing a pair of thick soled boots whenever I ride a 2-wheeled bike; no sweat.

Adjust your suspension and try it; I believe it should work for you too. Good luck.

·
Registered
105 Posts
showmeguy: The grom has a 6 cm or so higher seat height. he would be on his tip toes on that. also he is too heavy for such a small bike.

elembytes: why don't you test ride a rebel 500 in a dealership?

·
Registered
105 Posts
...if you do, pay attention to the heavy-as-buggery clutch.

I am selling my rebel and the heavy far away clutch is one of the main reasons.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi Fletch:

Thanks for your input. Like I said it is good ole OCD that messes with my mind. You might be right in what your saying about sticking with the 250. In my mind though there is a lot of improvements however so that keeps playing in my head. Don't see to many people commenting on what the ride is like compared to the 250's of yesterday. Just as I am not seeing a lot of posts from others with 2018's either. Seems like it is all 2017s. Don't mean to keep wording things in the same way but, also hope that maybe others might add their insights too. Anyway, have a good day and thank you again for your input. I appreciate it all.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
What brand of thick soled boots do you use? Thanks to my genetics---LOL---I wear a size 7 shoe, 8 in women's. Finding boots with thick soles to fit this small foot is an issue too. Can't change what God gave me but trying to figure things out before I drop some big $$$ on this and not wanting to feel "Stupid". I had a Suzuki Boulevard S50 at one time and felt that was pretty big and heavy. Guess that plays into my thinking. Was happy to return to the Rebel 250 after that but just doesn't have much power. Oh well. Thank you!

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I might just do that

showmeguy: The grom has a 6 cm or so higher seat height. he would be on his tip toes on that. also he is too heavy for such a small bike.

I have been leary to take one out on a test drive. One because this dealer doesn't have the battery installed in the showroom so don't want to 'Hassle" them into doing that, plus hate to put miles on a new bike for a test drive if I don't buy it. Don't think it's fair to the next person to come through the line so to speak. Maybe I just don't know how test rides go for motorcycles compared to automobiles?

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks Hondora

I will pay more attention to that clutch. It felt okay in the showroom but maybe under real time use I'll not like that too. My little 250 is so little it's never been an issue. It wasn't either with the Suzuki S50 Boulevard so Honda must have done something different. I think that S50 had a hydraulic clutch now to think about it. Oh well. If you are selling I hope it goes quickly for you and you too find what you want. The decision making is a pain in the rear for some of us. I am an educator in Elementary Education-sadly money plays a bigger picture then had I gone into a different line of work for the past almost 30 years!!!!! Good luck and thank you for your time and response!

·
Registered
278 Posts
I own a 2018 500. Absolutly love it. I made some changes to it for comfort but that’s about it. It’s a great little bike that’s reliable and easy to ride. So far I haven’t payed attention to model years as it is identical to the 17 and all aftermarket parts I’ve purchased for the 2017 fit it fine.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thank you-

I own a 2018 500. Absolutly love it. I made some changes to it for comfort but that’s about it. It’s a great little bike that’s reliable and easy to ride. So far I haven’t payed attention to model years as it is identical to the 17 and all aftermarket parts I’ve purchased for the 2017 fit it fine.
Sounds Great-I was kind of thinking that is why I haven't seen many postings of owners of 2018's or the new '19's that are arriving now, mainly because they haven't changed much if anything. Can't decide if Honda is going to keep the Rebel's like they did the 250's for 30 years. 0:) I doubt they will because people will want some improvements along the way. That is especially true with the younger group.

If I bite the bullet and follow through, I too will have to make some changes for my comfort and safety. One of which will need to be the handlebars. Whether that be roll them back a little or put risers on them.

I know people have complained about the rear suspension as well as the front, I can upgrade that too but afraid it will raise the bike up too much and that won't be good for my short stature.

Thank you for your input and information. Great to hear from different people and get their comments and experiences over time that they have had with these new Rebels.

·
Super Moderator
1,655 Posts

First time I've ever encountered someone complaining that the clutch is heavy on the Rebel?!:surprise:
Might want to consider hand grip fitness perhaps?

As for the reach, there are adjustable ones out there :smile2:

·
Registered
527 Posts
By the sounds of it, especially if you're saying the Boulevard was too heavy, keep your 250.

Not worth upgrading from a 250 to 300, so you'd be looking at the 500.
Hate to echo what other have said already, but I feel like I've given advice to you on this multiple times throughout the year.
If you haven't been able to bite the bullet yet and still indecisive, just keep what you have and enjoy it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Wait there are 2019 models out? Haha just curious on the colors offered or any other subtle slight differences from the previous years?

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
By the sounds of it, especially if you're saying the Boulevard was too heavy, keep your 250.

Not worth upgrading from a 250 to 300, so you'd be looking at the 500.
Hate to echo what other have said already, but I feel like I've given advice to you on this multiple times throughout the year.
If you haven't been able to bite the bullet yet and still indecisive, just keep what you have and enjoy it.
Sorry to upset you with my questions. If you have already answered before don't feel obligated to repeat yourself. Sometimes it's good for others to jump in and give their thoughts and feelings, especially if they are new or have something to add after they have experienced a few things over time.

Regardless I do appreciate your comments even if you feel you have repeated yourself. Thanks! :smile2:

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yes---google Honda Rebel 2019

Wait there are 2019 models out? Haha just curious on the colors offered or any other subtle slight differences from the previous years?
Go to Honda Motorcycle website and look for 2019 Rebels. You can see the new colors and anything that has changed, which I didn't find any other then a color scheme. They are hitting showrooms in the Midwest USA already, with a good price increase which is sad but I am sure the new Tariffs are going to do some harm too in that area as well.

·
Registered
397 Posts

Shame on you assuming he is too heavy. The Grom is actually designed for two full size adults which would easily be between 250 and 300 lbs. With the different suspension it's going to sag enough to be pretty similar in height. Big guys love these things and since it is about half the weight as a Rebel being perfectly flat-footed wouldn't be as important. I only offered it as a suggestion anyway, chill out a bit. A group of us out in LA went to a small Rebel/Bike meet last weekend and there were at least four guys pushing 300 lbs riding Groms. Sure your not going to break any speed records but I don't think that is his intent here anyway.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts