Honda Rebel 300, 500, & 1100 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

I recently got into riding about 6 months ago and picked up a 2018 Honda Rebel 300 with about 4000 miles on it. The bike was running fine for the past 6 months that I used it, until yesterday when I ran into a problem, which is, my engine was dying on me when idling at stoplights. I had my clutch pulled in so I know I wasn't stalling it and I even set it in neutral and it kept dying. It sounded like it was sputtering and misfiring. However, when I finally took off from the stops it ran well and it felt normal. When I arrived at my destination I let it run in neutral and the engine died. I then noticed that my radiator fan was on for a bit without the engine running so I let the fan run until it stopped. I'm thinking the engine might have gotten hot and caused this, but I'm not sure this was the cause of my problem as I don't know much about motorcycles yet and common problems. No engine light came on so that was a relief and also the bike would start up as normal and work when moving. Since this, I have not been riding my bike and been using my car as I got freaked out and didn't want to cause bigger problems to the bike and also for my safety.

I'm going to be changing my fluids (oil and coolant) to see if that stops the problem as maybe it was an overheating problem that was causing my engine to stop.

I also read that sometimes the type of gas can cause this; as my problem started when I filled up my tank at a different Shell gas station than the one I usually go to (something with the fuel being bad). I only fill up at Shell gas and use the recommended 87 octane gas for the engine. If this continues I'll siphon the gas out and check the fuel pump, but I highly doubt it could be that. I'll also check the spark plug.

If you guys/gals have any information or had a similar problem I would appreciate any details that can be shared. I'll also keep you all updated to help any of you in the future if you run into this problem.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Gas!

·
Registered
327 Posts
The fan acted correctly.
It will run when the temp is high enough to trigger the fan on, and continue to run after you turn bike off.
Check the coolant level before you drain it.
Either is was hot where your at, or the coolant level is to low and engine got hot because of the low level.
New oil will not keep engine temps down.
Others will get on here and say otherwise. New oil might help a few degrees at best.

You might just have a bad batch of gas

·
Registered
2020 Honda Rebel 500 ABS in blue
61 Posts
I've been using the fancy gas ("91") in my 2020 Rebel500. I did a couple of tanks on the cheap stuff, and it ran a little bit rougher and got slightly less gas mileage ( like 55-60 instead of 60-65mpg). I went back to the fancy stuff because it ran better, and with the difference being $4.59/gal vs $4.89/gal here getting the "cheap" gas actually costs more per mile. I also feel like I'm giving my bike the love he deserves.

·
Registered
19 Posts
One simple thing to check is the spark plug. Pull it and see if it's fouled. I'm also wondering if a clogged fuel filter could cause the issue.

·
Registered
15 Posts
One simple thing to check is the spark plug. Pull it and see if it's fouled. I'm also wondering if a clogged fuel filter could cause the issue.
Hi everyone,

I recently got into riding about 6 months ago and picked up a 2018 Honda Rebel 300 with about 4000 miles on it. The bike was running fine for the past 6 months that I used it, until yesterday when I ran into a problem, which is, my engine was dying on me when idling at stoplights. I had my clutch pulled in so I know I wasn't stalling it and I even set it in neutral and it kept dying. It sounded like it was sputtering and misfiring. However, when I finally took off from the stops it ran well and it felt normal. When I arrived at my destination I let it run in neutral and the engine died. I then noticed that my radiator fan was on for a bit without the engine running so I let the fan run until it stopped. I'm thinking the engine might have gotten hot and caused this, but I'm not sure this was the cause of my problem as I don't know much about motorcycles yet and common problems. No engine light came on so that was a relief and also the bike would start up as normal and work when moving. Since this, I have not been riding my bike and been using my car as I got freaked out and didn't want to cause bigger problems to the bike and also for my safety.

I'm going to be changing my fluids (oil and coolant) to see if that stops the problem as maybe it was an overheating problem that was causing my engine to stop.

I also read that sometimes the type of gas can cause this; as my problem started when I filled up my tank at a different Shell gas station than the one I usually go to (something with the fuel being bad). I only fill up at Shell gas and use the recommended 87 octane gas for the engine. If this continues I'll siphon the gas out and check the fuel pump, but I highly doubt it could be that. I'll also check the spark plug.

If you guys/gals have any information or had a similar problem I would appreciate any details that can be shared. I'll also keep you all updated to help any of you in the future if you run into this problem.
If it's mechanical and you're not a mechanic, and it worries you, as it should, don't fool around here, Just take it into the shop and let them diagnose and fix it for you. Well worth it to be safe.

·
Registered
7 Posts
My first thought is water in your gas, but bad gas would manifest a lot like a misfire when you're under power, not just at idle. Does it run smooth when you're applying throttle, or does it sometimes "skip" or "hiccup" when in motion? Because if you're moving and in gear, you won't stall. And when you are sitting and it can stall, can you stop it from stalling by revving the engine a little bit, or does it just straight up cut off? Basically, do you get a "warning" sputter or something, or is it just suddenly OFF?

And can you smell anything? Like does your exhaust smell like gasoline? And how's your power? Does it have the correct amount of get-up-and-go? Based on what you said so far, my thought it either clogged injector (or maybe a pressure issue with the fuel pump) or fouled spark plugs. With only 4000 miles, the spark plug would be my first guess, followed by the fuel filter.

·
Registered
2020 Honda Rebel 500 ABS
42 Posts
I've been using the fancy gas ("91") in my 2020 Rebel500. I did a couple of tanks on the cheap stuff, and it ran a little bit rougher and got slightly less gas mileage ( like 55-60 instead of 60-65mpg). I went back to the fancy stuff because it ran better, and with the difference being $4.59/gal vs $4.89/gal here getting the "cheap" gas actually costs more per mile. I also feel like I'm giving my bike the love he deserves.
Haters will say you're just imagining this difference!! 😂

·
Registered
327 Posts
Higher octane level gas WILL NOT -
get you better gas mileage - no matter how much you want to believe it
will not run smoother - it does not run smoother but in your mind
it will not shift smoother
it will not run cooler
higher octane is needed in high performance engines with high compression so that pre-ignition, or engine knock, doesn't happen and destroy that expensive engine.
Your Rebel is not a high compression engine.
But use whatever gas you want. I just want you to know the facts!
Dont believe me - Google octane use

1 - 9 of 9 Posts