Honda Rebel 300 & 500 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello fellow riders!

This is my first bike and second season of riding, so I appreciate any help or rationale you can provide. I purchased my bike end of summer last year, and up to date I have put 6000 miles on that bad boy. I ride every chance I get. I took my bike into a independent shop near my home and had them perform a Safety maintenance and sanity check. I was told my bike's chain is kinked up and too rusted to last another 500 miles, before doing permanent damage to the sprockets. The technician told me that it looked like the chain was never lubed, but oddly enough I had brought it in for regular maintenance. The bike has been garaged 75% of the time when not in use, but he also told me that even if it wasn't garaged, a properly lubed chain would not have rusted so badly. In short, I am in the market for a new chain and would rather purchase it myself and have the shop install it. Any recommendations, like O-Ring, X-Ring? I also believe the chain is 530x130, can anyone confirm? Thank you all for the help in advance!

·
Registered
814 Posts
Not intended as a lecture, but for future reference...

Tire pressure / wear and chain slack / lube are things that you should be checking on a regular basis.

Anything happens to those while you're riding could end badly...
I was just going to say the same thing. Lube is not something you do when you take the bike for regular maint. The chain should be done by you basicaly something checked and done quite frequently. With that many miles you should have been doing it quite often.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Ken,

You are correct on the chain size. Would you mind posting a photo of the chain? I'm curious to see what it looks like. I'm always skeptical when it comes to dealing with a service department, there's always the possibility the tech is trying to pop you for some quick money.

-CG

·
Registered
178 Posts
Hello fellow riders!
The technician told me that it looked like the chain was never lubed, but oddly enough I had brought it in for regular maintenance. The bike has been garaged 75% of the time when not in use, but he also told me that even if it wasn't garaged, a properly lubed chain would not have rusted so badly. In short, I am in the market for a new chain and would rather purchase it myself and have the shop install it. Any recommendations, like O-Ring, X-Ring? I also believe the chain is 530x130, can anyone confirm? Thank you all for the help in advance!
I took my bike into the 600 mile oil change/check up. The oil was changed but the chain was never cleaned, I ended up learning to do it myself. If it looks dirty or if 600 miles come up, do it yourself.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ken,

You are correct on the chain size. Would you mind posting a photo of the chain? I'm curious to see what it looks like. I'm always skeptical when it comes to dealing with a service department, there's always the possibility the tech is trying to pop you for some quick money.

-CG
Unfortunately, I have had it serviced since, but the tech said it's still slightly kinked and a lot of the rust did not come off. I will post pictures when I get a chance, but it does look a thousand times better then it did before. If I did have to replace it, any recommendations on the chain type and brand? Thanks again for the feedback.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks everyone for the advice and glad to be a reminder for you dollarbill181, wish the dealership would have mentioned that I would be lubing the chain myself instead of letting me think it was part of the maintenance they do when I bring it in. Lesson learned and noted, now to find a decent chain. Any recommendations? I see $50 chains on Amazon, do you think it would be a good buy or spend the 100+ for the others?

·
Registered
712 Posts
Thanks everyone for the advice and glad to be a reminder for you dollarbill181, wish the dealership would have mentioned that I would be lubing the chain myself instead of letting me think it was part of the maintenance they do when I bring it in. Lesson learned and noted, now to find a decent chain.
Do you not have the owner's manual?

·
Registered
132 Posts
hmm....this thread is a good reminder for me to lube my chain
What do you think about this?

https://www.amazon.com/Scottoiler-eSystem-electronic-Regular-Included/dp/B00R34PHRW/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1527957605&sr=8-2&keywords=scottoiler&dpID=51ebW%2BLtrfL&preST=_SX300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch

or in alternation:
https://bestdamnchainoiler.com/

I think about, to purchase the cobbra oiler. Maybe the scottoiler is too sophisticated for the job. The scottoiler needs invasive action to the engine and so, the warranty of a brand-new bike is cancelled.

·
Super Moderator
1,655 Posts
What do you think about this?

https://www.amazon.com/Scottoiler-eSystem-electronic-Regular-Included/dp/B00R34PHRW/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1527957605&sr=8-2&keywords=scottoiler&dpID=51ebW%252BLtrfL&preST=_SX300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch

or in alternation:
https://bestdamnchainoiler.com/

I think about, to purchase the cobbra oiler. Maybe the scottoiler is too sophisticated for the job. The scottoiler needs invasive action to the engine and so, the warranty of a brand-new bike is cancelled.
Didn't even know this was a thing before now, huh.
Seems practical enough. Does the Cobrra work by simply gravity, or..?? What am I missing here?

Edit: Nevermind, found extended info on it. It's manually operated, so you'll have to keep remembering to use it though, and while you're driving. Still, seems neat enough.

·
Registered
132 Posts
The oil was changed but the chain was never cleaned, I ended up learning to do it myself.
This reminds me on my very first bike. One day I came to a gas station for a refill. They had a poster out "We make your motor-oil change on the spot!" I thought: "Great! :grin2: I don´t now exactly how to change my oil, so they do this for me!" As i asked, I got the answer: "Only cars, no bikes!"
So I had to learn it for myself... :wink2:

·
Registered
132 Posts
After looking at these prices I am going to buy a scratch pad. Then I will write a note: "Lubricate Chain Every 500 Miles Like You Always Have".

Problem solved and with the money I saved I may buy saddlebags.

Kenny G
Good Idea!
But: how will you use this scratchpad on your bike? And you have to got "firefox" installed...:wink2:

Attachments

·
Registered
11 Posts
I lube my chain every 4 fuel fills (1,000k - same time I check air pressure) - one trip I did less than 30k on bulldust and a number of the links seized. There was enough play that I could get home (carefully) - and got the chain replaced.
I've done more distance on dirt tracks since then and it hasn't happened again.

So perhaps the OEM isn't the best.

With the Weather here (Perth WA) the chain doesn't get wet - so I don't worry about rust - I don't know how that would affect the regularity of chain maintance

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Ken,

-CG
So after purchasing the 530x130 chain, it turns out that it was the incorrect size. The shop I went to ended up calling HOnda themselves and it turns out the correct size is 520x112. Since the bike was already in the shop I just had them order it for me, which costed more then what I wanted to pay for a chain... :crying: Bright side is not I can ride worry free and know the chain size for future reference....

1 - 20 of 26 Posts