Honda Rebel 300 & 500 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Decided to cheap out and refused to pay the dealership 200 min plus tax for the 1000km (600miles) "service" so I just went for it myself - how hard could it be??

I didn't do anything beyond oil and a basic once over making sure all is fine. Nothing different from a pre ride check tbh. Don't have a stand yet, so I didn't lube the chain, but it seems fine, I've never had the bike out in rain, and the manual doesn't say to do anything with it at this service interval anyway.

The total cost of parts was about 30 bucks or so (2L of GN4 oil - only used 1.5l - filter, filter gasket X2 just in case, and drain bolt washer X2 just in case). I also wanted to get extra filter cover bolts (8mm) just in case one snaps, but they were out of stock.

I'm mechanically "ok" overall in terms of skill - I have the patience to follow instructions - but this was my first ever oil change on a bike and I thought it went ok. Good advice from posts here and a YouTube 5 min tutorial specific to the 300. I think it was easy...most certainly not worth 200+ for a "pro" to leave marks all over your ride...

Made a huge mess on the garage floor, even though I was careful and prepped my work area, covered the header pipe, and placed buckets below any potential leak spots. That filter cover loves to drizzle oil everywhere as soon as you loosen a couple bolts.

Anyway, the job was super easy overall. 30mins, including clean up and me being extra cautious.

I did have a low torque wrench, but didn't feel comfortable using it at first...was starting to feel a little too tight for comfort on those 4 filter cover bolts that I read tend to snap easy. Just tightened the drain plug and filter bolts till it felt tight. Read some horror stories about those filter bolts snapping because the manual calls for 9ft-lb torque, but the bolts can't seem to handle more than 6ish. I did go back and slowly torqued all the bolts, nothing snapped, which is great. 8mm at 6.6ft-lb and drain bolt at 16.

Word of advice: don't delay the 1st service to get rid of that break in oil. I rode it till 1160kms (725miles) and the oil was pitch black. Pic below. I was contemplating leaving the oil change until just before I have to put it away for the brutal winter ahead in a couple months to avoid doing another oil change, glad I didn't. Honestly, I would probably change it a lot sooner than the manual calls for..

Moral of this long story...if you want to save a couple hundred...do your own oil changes, it isn't rocket science. Save your money for mods or more serious jobs.

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
I decided to do the same on my 2017 300 and had a bolt snap. Managed to order a new one & swap it out easily enough.
I have an issue with oil leaking from the top right hand bolt however- any ideas what I’ve done wrong (not tight enough since I’m now nervous of over tightening)? I bought all OEM parts. Could it be a dud gasket?

All help at all would be great as it’s smoking horribly at the moment due to the leak.

Thanks!

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I would open all 4 bolts carefully and replace the gasket at this point, maybe it cracked or something. Also, I know it's going to sound dumb, but make sure the gasket is flush with the opening and in the right direction!

6.6 ft lb worked for me just fine and it was feeling tight as heck. Try tightening the bolt a little less if you have a torque wrench, and make sure you're on the right reading. Not sure how familiar you are with how to get an accurate reading on those, so maybe worth while to check a quick YouTube vid on that.

The manual is completely off on how tight to go, its NOT 9 ft lb!

·
Registered
432 Posts
I will say for the first service they're supposed to go over multiple areas of the bike checking bolts and making sure everything is tighten and adjusted properly. So maybe the first one isn't the best idea to skip, but you know your bike. Also check with the place you bought it and make sure you're not going to void and warranty's, usually not the case but some dealers have some fine print. The manual doesn't say anything about servicing the chain because it's already a rule of thumb to clean and lube your chain every 500 miles or less so maybe you should start looking at getting that done, which is super super easy and better to do before than late.

Also what did you end up doing with your used oil?

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My warranty was void long ago lol. TBR exhaust would do that...I have my stock exhaust just in case something blows up and I can reinstall it quick. Not going to get into a discussion about this, but dealerships are by law not allowed to void your warranty solely based on service history.

I cleaned and lubed the chain at 1500kms (500 more than I would have liked to and what the manual calls for, but it's fine. O ring chains can handle it as most of the lube is trapped within the rings. Lubing on those is not like conventional chains where you have to lube till you empty the can lol. I was just waiting on the wheel cleaning rolling stand to come in to do that, which came in last week.

I drained the oil into a wide but short plastic container from our kitchen, apologized to my wife for stealing it, put a lid on it and took it to Oil Changers and they disposed it free of charge. It's become a dedicated oil bucket now lol.

I gave the bike a once over and made sure everything was tight according to manual specs. Clutch, suspension, chain, etc. It's nothing more than a pre ride check ritual...

·
Registered
4 Posts
I will say for the first service they're supposed to go over multiple areas of the bike checking bolts and making sure everything is tighten and adjusted properly. So maybe the first one isn't the best idea to skip, but you know your bike. Also check with the place you bought it and make sure you're not going to void and warranty's, usually not the case but some dealers have some fine print. The manual doesn't say anything about servicing the chain because it's already a rule of thumb to clean and lube your chain every 500 miles or less so maybe you should start looking at getting that done, which is super super easy and better to do before than late.

Also what did you end up doing with your used oil?

I luckily have a cab repair shop around the corner from me & they were fine with taking the oil to dispose of it.

I finally worked out what happened. I had stupidly put the gasket on flipped (there is a dip on the top left to make room for the crank case and I had it so the dip was on the right). I really need to get the lighting fixed in my garage. Its easy to miss in dim lighting. Been a long time since I got to work on a car/motorcycle!

Attachments

1 - 6 of 6 Posts