Honda Rebel 300, 500, & 1100 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Sold my 2017 Rebel 500 and bought a new 2021 Rebel 500 abs. I removed the Honda brand 12 volt accessory plug add on and would like to install it on the 2021 with led lights.

The plug wires on the accessory has a clip that plugged into a clip on the 2017. The bike side wires on the 2021 are two independent wires so……if I am going to use the accessory on the new bike, some modification will be necessary to plug it into the bike.

My question is, can the plug simply be cut off and new connectors be put on the accessory and then plugged into the 2021 or is there some reason I shouldn’t do it or it won’t work?

I have attached two pictures of the installation instructions below of the 2017 and also the 2021 to illustrate my issue.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Font Rectangle Line Parallel Screenshot

Photograph Font Rectangle Line Parallel

·
Registered
602 Posts
If you know what are you doing, you can do it. Mine was also modified, since I didn't like current limitation for OEM one. Mine (now USB charger) is now powered directly from battery via relay.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Wasn't it nice of Honda to change that hook up so that your old hookup wont work, and you'd have to get a new one for anther few dollars!!
Of curse you can cut and put what ever end you want on there!
Sometimes I just have to say WTF when I see something like this!

·
Registered
703 Posts
Sold my 2017 Rebel 500 and bought a new 2021 Rebel 500 abs. I removed the Honda brand 12 volt accessory plug add on and would like to install it on the 2021 with led lights.

The plug wires on the accessory has a clip that plugged into a clip on the 2017. The bike side wires on the 2021 are two independent wires so……if I am going to use the accessory on the new bike, some modification will be necessary to plug it into the bike.

My question is, can the plug simply be cut off and new connectors be put on the accessory and then plugged into the 2021 or is there some reason I shouldn’t do it or it won’t work?

I have attached two pictures of the installation instructions below of the 2017 and also the 2021 to illustrate my issue.

Thanks in advance for your help!
yes it can...observe the polarity of the accessory outlet when you cut the 2 pin connect off and crimp/solder the corresponding bullet connectors on for your 2021
wire color
violet 12v+
green 12v-

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yes it can...observe the polarity of the accessory outlet when you cut the 2 pin connect off and crimp/solder the corresponding bullet connectors on for your 2021
wire color
violet 12v+
green 12v-
Thank You! This is exactly what I was looking for! Is there a simple way to determine the polar of the wires on the 12 volt accessory plug either before or more importantly after I cut the clip off the end? don’t want to fry any device plugged into it.

·
Registered
703 Posts
Thank You! This is exactly what I was looking for! Is there a simple way to determine the polar of the wires on the 12 volt accessory plug either before or more importantly after I cut the clip off the end? don’t want to fry any device plugged into it.
yes...ohmmeter...probe center contact in the accessory outlet and each of the wires...when you get a reading that will be the wire to go to 12v+ on the bike (violet wire)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
yes...ohmmeter...probe center contact in the accessory outlet and each of the wires...when you get a reading that will be the wire to go to 12v+ on the bike (violet wire)
Understood…. Should I connect it to the bike wires in order to run this test? In other words, how will the ohmmeter know which probe has power if the accessory is not connected to battery power?

Sorry for being a bit slow!

·
Registered
703 Posts
Understood…. Should I connect it to the bike wires in order to run this test? In other words, how will the ohmmeter know which probe has power if the accessory is not connected to battery power?

Sorry for being a bit slow!
no do not connect it to the bikes power...the ohmmeter has a battery...you are simply checking the continuity of the circuit to determine which wire is connected to the center contact that will be connected to the bikes 12v+ wire (violet) ...test the accessory outlet as described above

you can get a cheap multimeter (volt/ohm/ammeter) ~$15 at your local auto parts store, Walmart etc for immediate purchase
or
order one online from Amazon/eBay

Reactions: Bulitt

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
no do not connect it to the bikes power...the ohmmeter has a battery...you are simply checking the continuity of the circuit to determine which wire is connected to the center contact that will be connected to the bikes 12v+ wire (violet) ...test the accessory outlet as described above

you can get a cheap multimeter (volt/ohm/ammeter) ~$15 at your local auto parts store, Walmart etc for immediate purchase
or
order one online from Amazon/eBay
Just got home and am getting back to this. Before I go buy a meter, one final question. The colors of the wires coming out the bottom of the 12 volt accessory are a solid black wire and also a black wire with a blue stripe.

My assumption is that the black wire is positive and the black/blue is negative based on the Honda wiring diagrams I can find on line. Do you happen to know which is positive?

Also, I have a “circuit tester tool” that has a clip on one end and a sharp point on the other wire which lights a small bulb if the circuit probed is hot. Is there a way I use this tool to diagnose this without having to buy another ohmmeter?

Thanks again for your help!

·
Registered
703 Posts
Just got home and am getting back to this. Before I go buy a meter, one final question. The colors of the wires coming out the bottom of the 12 volt accessory are a solid black wire and also a black wire with a blue stripe.

My assumption is that the black wire is positive and the black/blue is negative based on the Honda wiring diagrams I can find on line. Do you happen to know which is positive?

Also, I have a “circuit tester tool” that has a clip on one end and a sharp point on the other wire which lights a small bulb if the circuit probed is hot. Is there a way I use this tool to diagnose this without having to buy another ohmmeter?

Thanks again for your help!
sure...strip the insulation on the end of each wire (you're gonna have to do it anyway when you come to crimp new terminals on) hold the solid black stripped wire to the + terminal on any battery, take the clip on your tester light and clip it to the - terminal of the battery, now probe the center contact in the accessory plug...if the tester lights up you have the right wire to connect to the bikes 12v+ violet wire...if the light does not light up you know it is the other wire

buy a multimeter anyway...sooner or later you will have other electrical situations you can use it on

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
sure...strip the insulation on the end of each wire (you're gonna have to do it anyway when you come to crimp new terminals on) hold the solid black stripped wire to the + terminal on any battery, take the clip on your tester light and clip it to the - terminal of the battery, now probe the center contact in the accessory plug...if the tester lights up you have the right wire to connect to the bikes 12v+ violet wire...if the light does not light up you know it is the other wire

buy a multimeter anyway...sooner or later you will have other electrical situations you can use it on
Yeah, I know I need one. But not today! Ha ha!
Thank you again for holding my hand through this!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts