Honda Rebel 300, 500, & 1100 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The day has arrived. UPS dropped off my newly designed 1100 windshield kit from Madstad.

First I opened the box and laid it all out on a huge piece of cardboard to see how it was packed. Packed with bubble wrap in groups and then all together. I think pack well and surviced well.

I then unwrapped the group and laid out the parts in the same area. I glanced through the instructions and started putting things on the bike. The machined and powder coated parts are first class. The loops that go around the forks are precise fits and bolt to blocks that set on the side of the forks. Attached to those (upper and lower blocks) are the side plates. The side plated have 2 round buttons the shield bracket slides over. A spring pin on the shield bracket locks in a hole in the side plate prevent it from coming off. Precision and nicely made. I took a picture of what remains on the bike if you remove the windshield. Not very intrusive for something build strong.

After mounting the side plates the long curve screen frame is placed on the buttons and locked in place with the spring latch. At this point I could still move the clamps on the forks and position everything where I wanted it on the forks (high or lower). I chose as high as they would go (against the blinkers).

Last step was attaching the shield used the 4 well-nut screws.

Adjusting height and tilt. From the rider's position there is a small knob at the top of each bracket. Loosen it but not a lot is needed. At this point you can raise the shield and/or tilt it back. If at the top, you can lower it down till it stops.

I sent Madstad an email over a problem. I think they drilled the holes too high on the screen (maybe gave me the wrong screen) because at the lowest setting it is 2 inches over the front of the headlight. When raised it is over the top of the headlight. I will know more and report back when I hear from Dan. I plan to use the bike tomorrow with the screen they sent because it is mounted and installed per their instructions.

The third picture is what remains on the bike if shied is removed. Last picture is the my riding view of the shields back side. The height/tilt knobs are shown at top of shield brackets.
Product Packing materials Material property Chair Pattern
Handwriting Gas Font Wood Metal
Automotive lighting Automotive tire Vehicle Headlamp Motor vehicle
Tire Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle Car

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the details on it. Can you post a pic showing the front of it in the highest position? I'm curious to know if it will clear the OEM headlight cowl.
As mentioned, Madstad sent me the wrong shield as the holes were drilled in the wrong spot so it set lower than it should. Dan apologized for the mix-up and is sending me a new shield ASAP. I will take updated pictures once it is mounted.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I heard back a second time from Dan at Madstad this afternoon.
He said they were looking at the computer program that does the hole drilling and need me to do a measurement for him. I was out riding so put the adjustable bracket all the way forward and as high as it would go. I took a picture of the gap at the top of the headlight. I send him that information/picture. He thanked me and said they will get my new shield made ASAP.

I rode 150+ miles today in the hills and a few miles on a freeway. Windshield mounting appears to hold the large shield well at 80mph. Nothing shifted or came loose after several hours of riding. When I get the correct wind shield, I will do a thread on how it performs as I don't think I can do it accurately with the incorrectly drilled shield on it.

They also asked for feedback on their install instructions. I plan to do that for them tonight. Nothing major was wrong but just a few things could be clearer for those less mechanically inclined than me.:)

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I decided to redrill the holes in the shield that Madstad had sent where the holes were drilled too high. They are sending me a new shield at no charge.

I looked at their online pictures and estimated where the holes should have been based on it's relationship to the headlight. I'm pretty close, within about 1/4-inch I think. I used a hand drill. Acrylic plastic is tricky. It is easy to have the drill jump through the last bit of plastic too fast and crack the shield at the hole. Well, I got them drilled ok but got some rough edges on one side of the holes but no cracks, so it is now very useable.

Now I can raise, lower and/or tilt the shield as it was designed, and it stays above the headlight. I plugged the old holes with black RTV to avoid any whistling.

Hope to road test it tomorrow, Saturday. Stay tuned.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I did get out for a 25 mile ride on a 55mph road and on the freeway. I'm 5'7" tall 28 inseam so torso sort of long. I have a stock seat with an airhawk pad. Bars are standard. The design by Madstad pretty much has the curve for the headlight right over the top of the front headlight lense if there is no tilt towards the back. When you add tilt the bottom of the windshield moves a little more forward but not down in front of the Lense. The shield I ordered was 18 inch tall.

Note that my fork mounting blocks are almost touching the underside of the turn signal mounts on the top of the forks. They can be mounted anywhere between the top and bottom of the top fork are. Madstad instruction say to move them to the top but lower could be an option especially if the windshield is always tilted back. The mounting blocks are now about 1-1/8 above the lower triple frame so there is some adjustment if one wanted to lower the shield a little more. Since I raised mine setting another 1/2 with the bracket knob I have no need to mount the blocks lower.

I tried different heights and different angles. I could pull over turn the two bracket knobs and then change height or angle in about a minute. Not something you should do when riding. The front to back angle can get a pretty good tilt which allows more vision and more air over the top for any given height. I first tried all the way up with maximum tilt towards me. At first I thought higher would block more air. Not really. I think it makes the air over the top more turbulent. I settled on tilt all the way back and about 1/2 inch up from the lowest setting. This allowed the smoothest air around my head.

My FZ-09 with a Madstad mount had a 20-inch clear shield mainly because seating made me sit higher. After getting the medium tent for the 1100, I find it I like the looks better than clear when parked but when riding I kind of wish I had gotten the clear shield but in reality, I look over the top anyway. The cast acrylic material held up great for 7 years on my FZ-09 and is quite thick and very clear. The instructions say not to clean it with any alcohol products. Plain water spray bottle and a soft, clean rag works well to get the bugs off.

I think I will be happy with the Madstad setup and will report in again once I put on the final screen. I will know more next week. I am presently waiting on Madstad.

more pictures.
Lowest and tilt all the way forward showing where it sits above headlight.
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Light Automotive design

what is removed with windshield when removed from bike
Sleeve Textile Automotive design Grey Bag

the spring-loaded locking pin that keeps the shield brackets from pivoting off the mounting blocks. Pull and twist and it stays retracted for easier removal.
Sleeve Material property Wood Tints and shades Close-up

there are two holes only because brackets are symmetrical. Spring loaded locking pin goes in the front hole just ahead of the top button. Automotive tire Automotive lighting Hood Motor vehicle Alloy wheel

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Update.
New shield arrived. Right out of the box I could tell the holes were lower than the original shield they had sent. I also noted the replacement had more side-to-side curvature (roundness) than the original miss drilled shield.

Ok, so I removed the miss drilled one and put on the replacement. First thing I notices was I had to turn the mounting plates in more to line up left and right holes (not top or bottom holes). Ok, I figured it was because of the curve. Got the holes lined up and mounted the new shield. Well, this made another problem. The metal bracket ears that the shield bolts to now are not flat against the backside of the screen. The rubber washer is squeezed at the outer edge and not at all on the inside edge.

I took pictures before removing and putting back in the box. I put the one I had re-drilled back on my bike. I sent a message and pictures to Madstad and suggested there is a problem with curvature of the screen and I should not have to bend the ears on the brackets to match the new screen when the curvature of the bracket and the first miss drilled screen was fine.

Dan forwarded my message to the owner. The owner told Dan the replacement screen was correctly curved and that the bracket ears were not correct. He told Dan that new brackets would be made for me and sent first of last week (10/24). Not sent yet but I hope soon.

So, at this point, I have not given up on Madstad and I am waiting on replacement parts. I understand new model problems having worked as a QC/Production manager at a local manufacturing company for more than 10 years.

Picture of bracket on rear side of replacement screen.
Bicycle part Automotive tire Rim Carbon Automotive exterior

·
Registered
48 Posts
…….I have not given up on Madstad and I am waiting on replacement parts. I understand new model problems having worked as a QC/Production manager at a local manufacturing company for more than 10 years.
Thanks for persevering and having more patience than I would have dealing with this.
I hope your continued effort facilitates your being very happy with your install.
Billy

·
Registered
154 Posts
I'm glad they're making it right for you!

Are they having you return the incorrect windshield and brackets or letting you keep them? I'd be willing to buy them if you're not sending them back. From the way you have it titled above, it looks like it would clear the OEM cowl I have on my bike.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'm glad they're making it right for you!

Are they having you return the incorrect windshield and brackets or letting you keep them? I'd be willing to buy them if you're not sending them back. From the way you have it titled above, it looks like it would clear the OEM cowl I have on my bike.
So far they have not asked to return anything. My plan is to keep what they replace. I like having spare parts.

The shield with upper brackets would not work without the lower fork brackets that are required.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
As of 11/3 No replacement bracket yet from Madstad but I did receive an email from a person named Blair. He has taken over Dan's accounts. Dan was who I have been conversing with over the issues I have had.

Hope I hear back next week. Will let you all know. later

·
Registered
25 Posts
Thanks for all the details. I've been considering their shield, but I think I'll wait until they work the bugs out. Puig and Memphis Shades are my other choices. Slipstream attaches to the handlebars instead of the fork and that's not what I want.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Update: 11/18 They are sending me a package. Not sure just what's in it. Will update this when it arrives. I am hoping all problems will them be corrected by them.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Your photos show a pretty significant opening above the headlight. Does that allow a lot of air in at hwy speeds hitting your torso? And how does your current configuration perform as to keeping the wind off of your chest and helmet. Thanks for all this I fi

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Your photos show a pretty significant opening above the headlight. Does that allow a lot of air in at hwy speeds hitting your torso? And how does your current configuration perform as to keeping the wind off of your chest and helmet. Thanks for all this I fi
I think the Madstad designs uses the gap at the bottom of the windshield to allow air coming in at the bottom to be sucked up behind the windshield due to the negative air pressure behind the windshield. I do feel air below my arms or just above my waist on the sides. Of course, your hands and arms are exposed to the wind as the windshield is much narrower compared to say a Batwing type shield.

I think if you did not like such a gap above the windshield you could get a taller windshield as the 18" length, I have it setting 1 inch from full up position does increase the gap over the headlight. They offer longer shields. I', 5ft 7in and look just over the shield about 25 ft in front of bike. The taller you set it the farther you look down the road. If I ordered the 20 or 22 inch, I probably would have the top of the shield in the same place and the headlight would not have that gap. This is also my first tinted shield from them. I had a clear on my FZ-09 with a narrower top but it was their longest one. It worked great and I still might order a clear shield sometime or even a different shape. Time will tell.

I was out riding today and got to 68-70mph a few times but mostly 50-60mph ride. Face and just below arms are pretty wind free and cars and trucks passing don't change that. My head is not seeing any buffeting till I get up close to 70 and I think I have to pay attention to even notice it.

The fact your arms and the side of your torso is a plus where I live. When it's 90-105 having some wind hit you is a good thing. In winter I have good, heated gear so again side winds don't bother me.

I am hoping when the next parts arrive all my problems with drilled holes and curves are a thing of the past. Again I think any new item coming to market may be the problem.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Ive decided Madstad isn't ready for prime time yet so I ended up buying T-Rex 19 inch. It too is adjustable as to height, but it also tilts, and that should allow me more wind when it's hot, but even in a hot and muggy 95 degree Houston summer, I don't like the wind beating me up whenever I hit 65,which is the minimum on highways here, and you generally can't get to good country twisties without riding the highways for a while first. I probably should have bought a batwing as I plan to do some touring in 2023, but most of my riding is a 3-4 hour day trip under 55 and I do want some wind.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Ive decided Madstad isn't ready for prime time yet so I ended up buying T-Rex 19 inch. It too is adjustable as to height, but it also tilts, and that should allow me more wind when it's hot, but even in a hot and muggy 95 degree Houston summer, I don't like the wind beating me up whenever I hit 65,which is the minimum on highways here, and you generally can't get to good country twisties without riding the highways for a while first. I probably should have bought a batwing as I plan to do some touring in 2023, but most of my riding is a 3-4 hour day trip under 55 and I do want some wind.
Hope you can do an install post and evaluation followup. I had thought about their product.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts