Honda Rebel 300, 500, & 1100 Forum banner
21 - 32 of 32 Posts

· Registered
1,309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Update 11/22

Actually, called Madstad instead of emailed them. Found out Madstad is going through a Twitter type change. New owner and new people/or people position changes anyway. Sometimes timing works in your favor. Guess my timing was off this go round. Calling did allow me to go over the issues with a real person so I am now still waiting for some action on their part.

At least it is winter and waiting is not really taking away from any riding I wish to do. I went out Saturday and Sunday for a couple of 50 mile rides. Sunny and only 60 degrees.

· Registered
31 Posts
Fuel tank Motor vehicle Motorcycle Automotive lighting Automotive tire
Fuel tank Motor vehicle Motorcycle Automotive lighting Automotive tire

OK, I received it and put it on, the T-Rex windshield that is. 20 inch, comes up to my nose. It was listed as for a 2021 rebel 1100, but mine is a 2022 model and it fit perfectly. I've only had the time to take it out on the hwy once. It's very sturdy, easy to install but the instructions were very basic. It cuts the wind off your toro completely, but there's a fair amount of helmet buffeting. I had it in the vertical position. I'll try it again tilted back along the fork and see if that changes the buffeting, which gets intense around 60 mph.

· Registered
1,309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
OK, I received it and put it on, the T-Rex windshield that is. 20 inch, comes up to my nose. It was listed as for a 2021 rebel 1100, but mine is a 2022 model and it fit perfectly. I've only had the time to take it out on the hwy once. It's very sturdy, easy to install but the instructions were very basic. It cuts the wind off your toro completely, but there's a fair amount of helmet buffeting. I had it in the vertical position. I'll try it again tilted back along the fork and see if that changes the buffeting, which gets intense around 60 mph.
You might find that lower is better and tilting back is key. To keep the height when you tilt it back you will have to also raise it up. Your shield in the picture is almost straight up which makes for pretty rough wind going around it.. Tilt it and set the height where looking over it you see 25 feet or so in front of the bike.

good luck. I am still waiting on a new complete setup from Madstad (they ordered it to be made at no cost) with hopes all my problems will go away.

Reactions: sonwon

· Registered
31 Posts
I've tilted it back to align with the forks. Probably next weekend before I can test it out. Good luck with Madstad, I hear generally good things about their products, but as I mentioned earlier, it doesn't seem like they're ready for the Rebel 1100 yet. Frankly, under 50,you don't need a windscreen. Good luck!

· Registered
1,309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 · (Edited)
Ok, I will try to wrap up the Madstad 1100 install.

First to rehash the shipments.
1). Originally recieved a completed setup with medium tented screen. Found bracketing design and fitment excellent. Found screen was drilled too high and hung top of headlight. Contacted Madstad. Went ahead and drilled holes where they should have been. The curve of the shield and the mounting ears were matching. Used it while waiting for Madstad to send new shield.

2). Madstad sent new screen, but curvature was different from the miss drilled screen, so the 4 mounting ears were not bent at an angle to match the back of the new screen to match the curve. Holes were in the right place. Madstad said they would replace the screen.

3.) They did send me a new screen. They sent me the same screen with the same problem where the curvature of the brackets and the screen did not match.

4). Madstad got a new owner. The new owner reviewed my problem and said curve was correct on the replacement shield and new shield and they would make an upper mounting set to match the curvature and send me them.

4.) Apparently, the Shop did not get the instructions to bend the ears of the top bracket to match the curve as the boss indicated and send me the newly bent top brackets. Two simple pieces to fix. What Madstad did was send me a new complete set with all new mounting and brackets and another new shield. Guess what, the boss's fix was not done, and the top brackets again that did not match the curvature of the shield (same problem as #2 and #3).

5.) I sent Madstad an email to forward to the boss. I said was throwing in the towel and I would use my vice and hammer and bend the upper brackets to match the curvature of the screen. I also sent him pictures of my fix.

I now have about 150 miles of riding with the Madstad setup that they should now be selling. I have found the ideal position of the tilt and height of the shield where I get no buffeting of my helmet. I like the fact there is no center obstructions blocking any view of the front wheel.

Freeway speeds of 70-75 are smooth as are 55mph speeds. I get plenty of air around the sides so when it gets 90+ I will still be able to breath. Really important to get some air. Even though it has superb easy off release pins I will probably leave it on all year. For the cold weather my arms are exposed to the cold but I have good gloves and heated jacket liner. I might spring for some hand guards with turn signals built in but not sure.

So overall, I like it and plan to use it.

Pictures. I am 5'7" and looking over the shield top with hands on the bars is showing where I see in front of me. It also shows not center obstructions. Some close ups of the top bracket are below. Click on thumbnails to enlarge

Sky Landscape Roof Air travel Asphalt
Looking over the top of the shield adjusted for me lets me see about 20-25ft ahead of bike and clear view all the way back to wheel. A knob on each side lets me tilt or raise/lower shield. 18 inch shield is what I have. I think a 20 inch shield would work for me or for someone a little taller. I still have about 1 inch left on raising it.

Wood Gas Household hardware Composite material Bracket
Front is what I got, rear is what I bent to fit the back of the shield. Not a lot of difference but needed so the rubber washer between this bracket and the shield were square with each other

some other views taken Yesterday.

Tire Automotive tire Hood Automotive lighting Vehicle
Bicycle Bicycle tire Automotive tire Bicycle handlebar White
Automotive lighting Automotive tire Motor vehicle Hood Vehicle
Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive tire Automotive mirror
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Tread Sky

Tire Wheel Sky Vehicle Land vehicle
Last picture. Parking lot of Oroville Dam. Highest Earth filled dam in the USA.

Reactions: sonwon

· Registered
51 Posts
Ok, I will try to wrap up the Madstad 1100 install.

First to rehash the shipments.
1). Originally recieved a completed setup with medium tented screen. Found bracketing design and fitment excellent. Found screen was drilled too high and hung top of headlight. Contacted Madstad. Went ahead and drilled holes where they should have been. The curve of the shield and the mounting ears were matching. Used it while waiting for Madstad to send new shield.

2). Madstad sent new screen, but curvature was different from the miss drilled screen, so the 4 mounting ears were not bent at an angle to match the back of the new screen to match the curve. Holes were in the right place. Madstad said they would replace the screen.

3.) They did send me a new screen. They sent me the same screen with the same problem where the curvature of the brackets and the screen did not match.

4). Madstad got a new owner. The new owner reviewed my problem and said curve was correct on the replacement shield and new shield and they would make an upper mounting set to match the curvature and send me them.

4.) Apparently, the Shop did not get the instructions to bend the ears of the top bracket to match the curve as the boss indicated and send me the newly bent top brackets. Two simple pieces to fix. What Madstad did was send me a new complete set with all new mounting and brackets and another new shield. Guess what, the boss's fix was not done, and the top brackets again that did not match the curvature of the shield (same problem as #2 and #3).

5.) I sent Madstad an email to forward to the boss. I said was throwing in the towel and I would use my vice and hammer and bend the upper brackets to match the curvature of the screen. I also sent him pictures of my fix.

I now have about 150 miles of riding with the Madstad setup that they should now be selling. I have found the ideal position of the tilt and height of the shield where I get no buffeting of my helmet. I like the fact there is no center obstructions blocking any view of the front wheel.

Freeway speeds of 70-75 are smooth as are 55mph speeds. I get plenty of air around the sides so when it gets 90+ I will still be able to breath. Really important to get some air. Even though it has superb easy off release pins I will probably leave it on all year. For the cold weather my arms are exposed to the cold but I have good gloves and heated jacket liner. I might spring for some hand guards with turn signals built in but not sure.

So overall, I like it and plan to use it.

Pictures. I am 5'7" and looking over the shield top with hands on the bars is showing where I see in front of me. It also shows not center obstructions. Some close ups of the top bracket are below. Click on thumbnails to enlarge

View attachment 38985 Looking over the top of the shield adjusted for me lets me see about 20-25ft ahead of bike and clear view all the way back to wheel. A knob on each side lets me tilt or raise/lower shield. 18 inch shield is what I have. I think a 20 inch shield would work for me or for someone a little taller. I still have about 1 inch left on raising it.

View attachment 38986 Front is what I got, rear is what I bent to fit the back of the shield. Not a lot of difference but needed so the rubber washer between this bracket and the shield were square with each other

some other views taken Yesterday.

View attachment 38992 View attachment 38991 View attachment 38989 View attachment 38990 View attachment 38988
View attachment 38987 Last picture. Parking long of Oroville Dam. Highest Earth filled dam in the USA.
Thanks for the persistence, and thorough explanation. Your results are what I would expect from any cowling, batwing, or windshield. It looks good also.
I am definitely interested in their product but would like some guarantee from Madstad that no rework or bending of their new product would be required in future shipments. I can do what you have done to make it work but a successful install should be enabled by the factory product vs. customer mechanical ability.
Billy

· Registered
1,309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Thanks for the persistence, and thorough explanation. Your results are what I would expect from any cowling, batwing, or windshield. It looks good also.
I am definitely interested in their product but would like some guarantee from Madstad that no rework or bending of their new product would be required in future shipments. I can do what you have done to make it work but a successful install should be enabled by the factory product vs. customer mechanical ability.
Billy
I started with Customer support person named Dan. Under new ownership customer support person was Blair. He is familiar with my problem and my fix. He might be worth talking to. Not sure how close he is with production.

· Registered
1,309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Update number 2: An 80-mile winter ride.

I looked at adding wind wings to the forks to reduce some side winds but decided my cold riding gear was more than adequate and the wind will be welcome in the summertime so no wings for now. Overall I think he Madstad will stay on the 1100 year-round.

It was 51 degrees up to 56 today on my 80-mile ride on this sunny 1/20/23. Winds about 5mph is all, clear sky. Back roads 45-55 mph mostly.

In the picture I look pretty big but have Heat-Out brand long john pants and shirt on, winter First Gear pants, Joe Rocket jacket with heated First Gear liner. Gauntlet gloves did ok but had heated glove liners in my tail bag if my hands got cold.

I'm 5'7" sitting on the bike with both feet on the ground and hands on the bars. The windshield is tilted all the way back and up about 1.2 inches in the bracket with about 2 inches more to go up and the 1.2 to go down. You can see the up/down slot in the picture.

At this height, my viewing is above the windshield with the road ahead view is about 20ft and beyond. I like the fact I have the same view to the headlight that I had with no windshield that is not obstructed by any brackets. The shield size is 18 inches. A 20 inch might be the adjustable to the same height of course it would be taller at the same bracket settings. With the mounts all the way down with a 20 inch it would bring the bottom front more ahead of the plane of the headlight. Not sure that would look good.

Tire Wheel Helmet Sky Vehicle

21 - 32 of 32 Posts