Honda Rebel 300, 500, & 1100 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought an 1100 in mid October. Riding the 200km. home from the dealership I tried the cruise control and learned that between approximately 70-90 kmh (43-55 mph) the front end shakes fairly badly. I returned the bike to the dealer and they checked tire pressure, alignment (I don't know which one), wheel balance and bearings. They took it for a road test and compared it to their 1100 demo bike, which behaved the same way. They said "it must be a feature of that model". I don't buy that explanation because not all 1100 riders experience it. I've seen a video of an 1100 at those speeds with no hands, to demo the cruise control. Smooth as it should be. On other Rebel forums I've had new tires suggested. I called the Honda company customer relations and they said to take it to a different dealer and get it checked out there. If that dealer reports the same diagnostics, Honda will "raise it's investigation to another level". I'll have to wait until Spring to try anything, as I have two snowy mountain passes to cross to get to a bike shop.

·
Registered
2021 Honda Rebel 1100 DCT
18 Posts
Mine doesn't shake.

LifeOfBurch had some shake when he first got his 1100 and found out it was the phone mount he'd attached to his handle bars causing some weird aerodynamics issues.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Mine doesn't shake.

LifeOfBurch had some shake when he first got his 1100 and found out it was the phone mount he'd attached to his handle bars causing some weird aerodynamics issues.
Thanks for replying, it seems that some do and some don't, which is good news, in that it can be fixed. Yeah, I've seen the LifeOfBurch videos. I have some OEM saddlebags mounted, but it happened/happens with and without them. Glad to hear yours is smooth.

·
Registered
Bolt
45 Posts
Curious if this is only a problem with the manual and not the automatic. It may be the clutch cable is stiff and forcing the steering to one side. If it only happens with no hands on the bars, it's a common problem that many bikes have. As the front tire wears from straight line riding, it gets worse.

·
Registered
2021 Honda CMX1100 DCT
106 Posts
Thanks for the info that yours doesn't have it. The more 1100 owners I hear from who don't have the problem, the more encouraged I am that my issue can be resolved.
Wish you well on this.. I can only add other than slight RPM hunt at very low speed 10 MPH or less, it is totally solid and smooth all the way to 95 MPH ..

·
Registered
671 Posts
I have often rode with cruise control on with my 1100 DCT with no hands to see how it handles going straight. No problem up to 80. Now with both hands on bars, it seems a little light on the front end past 90mph. I weigh 200 with gear. What is your weight with gear.

You say shake, I think you are talking about what most people call a speed wobble where the front end wants to move the wheel side to side rapidly. Tire balance and inflation could be a factor. Weight on the front could be a factor. Your could increase the preload on the forks that will stiffen them up also. Also add some preload to the rear shocks if they are compressing much when you sit on the seat. Little things can make a difference sometimes.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have often rode with cruise control on with my 1100 DCT with no hands to see how it handles going straight. No problem up to 80. Now with both hands on bars, it seems a little light on the front end past 90mph. I weigh 200 with gear. What is your weight with gear.

You say shake, I think you are talking about what most people call a speed wobble where the front end wants to move the wheel side to side rapidly. Tire balance and inflation could be a factor. Weight on the front could be a factor. Your could increase the preload on the forks that will stiffen them up also. Also add some preload to the rear shocks if they are compressing much when you sit on the seat. Little things can make a difference sometimes.
I'm about the same weight with gear as you.

It starts as a vibration that grows into a wobble as I go into the speeds where it occurs (either accelerating or de-accelerating). It never increases into a handling problem, but it's got to be hard on the steering bearings and I don't appreciate damping it with my hands and arms.

I and/or the dealer have checked tire pressure, balance, alignment and bearings. I've also stiffened the front preload, less on the rear but will try more.

Other owners switching out the tire(s) has cured the problem for them. Since not everyone has it, I'm thinking a quality control issue with Dunlop? Too early to say for me. I'm pinned down for the winter 200km and 2 mountain passes away from a bike shop.

I will post here if and when I get it sorted. I really appreciate the feedback from other owners. Thanks a lot!

·
Registered
671 Posts
Since you say it starts as a vibration it could be a bad Dunlop but I doubt it as you say the demo one did the same thing. I wonder if they checked that the front and rear wheels are in line with each other and square with the frame. Might be worth looking at the hash marks on each side of the rear swing arms to see if both sides are at the same mark.

Does the vibration change if you change gears and make the engine rev more or less? Like if you can shift into a lower or higher gear? I know my 1100 does not like low speeds (35-45mph) in higher gears like 6th gear (likes 3rd or 4th gear more). Again, also strange a floor model also did the same thing. That really raises the odds.

I know in Standard mode I found it shifted way too early and the motor vibrated more. I usually keep the tachometer around 3-3500 minimum unless I am about to stop. In a hurry I go up to 5-6000 in 2nd and 3rd. I usually don't get into 6th gear till about 60 on flat ground. My engine has different sound past about 4k on tach and less vibration too. The shifting chart in the owners manual is not ideal but suggested.

Good luck.

Reactions: GatorJoe

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The reason I say it might be a bad tire is that at least one other owner had the same experience as me: took it back to the dealer to check balance, etc.; for them it went away when the tire was swapped out. Dealer and I also checked alignment, bearings, tire pressure and all checked out. It does the same thing with no change in different gears, all revs.
Thanks you, I really appreciate the feedback.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts