Honda Rebel 300, 500, & 1100 Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
2021 Rebel 1100 DCT
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've never purchased a warranty on a new Honda. Not because I think they're bad but I just never felt the need. I'm wondering if it would be a good idea given the more technical and difficult to service items like DCT, Cruise control, and related computer controlled components.

When I bought my used (NON-DCT) CTX700 a few years ago, the service manager said I was better off with a non-DTS model because he had "seen a lot of problems" on the DCT models.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
749 Posts
I've never purchased a warranty on a new Honda. Not because I think they're bad but I just never felt the need. I'm wondering if it would be a good idea given the more technical and difficult to service items like DCT, Cruise control, and related computer controlled components.

When I bought my used (NON-DCT) CTX700 a few years ago, the service manager said I was better off with a non-DTS model because he had "seen a lot of problems" on the DCT models.

Any thoughts?
I would go to the Africa Twin forum and read about problems there. They have more experience (since 2016 and revised 2018 and 2020 got 1100 engine) than anyone in my opinion. It has pretty complicated electronics too..

I owned a CTX700 with manual transmission at one time, did not like it (underpowered) so got rid of it. To date I have never purchased an extended warranty on any car or bike I have bought new (and that has been a few). If you are worried about it, get one or simply put aside 50-75.00 per month in a jar and after the 1 year Honda gives you, there will be a good start to handle service like valve adjustments and new tires and maybe after a few years plenty for repairs. If not needed, you made a good investment and have a jar full of money. Kind of funny as nobody plans for new tires, chains, complex valve adjustments, riding gear replacement or even insurance when it comes to motorcycles.

·
Registered
'21 Rebel 1100, '15 CTX 700
98 Posts
My other bike is a '15 CTX700 with DCT. I bought it used a little over 2 years ago, and the transmission has been fine. I like the CMX1100 DCT even better.

·
Registered
4 Posts

Any thoughts?
I bought two times Rebel 1100 DCT and I got extended warranty on second time because it was not that expensive (like 200) and I heard that when you have trouble with DCT the only way to fix is replacing the whole ass’y and that costs like 800 bucks.
I had a lot of trouble with the first Rebel 1100 DCT so I decided to sell to the dealer I bought and reordered another one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2021 Rebel 1100 DCT
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I bought two times Rebel 1100 DCT and I got extended warranty on second time because it was not that expensive (like 200) and I heard that when you have trouble with DCT the only way to fix is replacing the whole ass’y and that costs like 800 bucks.
I had a lot of trouble with the first Rebel 1100 DCT so I decided to sell to the dealer I bought and reordered another one.

I ended up buying the 5 year Honda extended warranty because of the DCT and also because i figured it would help the resale value to be able to offer the remaining warranty to to a potential buyer if I decided to sell it.

·
Registered
160 Posts
its my understanding you can buy an extended warranty later, like say you have a 2 year warranty from factory, and you buy a 5 year extended, ok, yer five years starts the day you pay the bill, now your 2 year 5 year are running concurrently, so waiting 1 year and 11 months then buying the extended warranty gives you 6 years 11 months coverage, reason being is extended warranty and factory warranty are separate companys, and sometimes cover different things so they have to run concurrent, and if something breaks, factory covers it first, if factory doesn't cover it it gets passed to extended, if neither cover, ya jus gotta cuss.

·
Registered
4 Posts
its my understanding you can buy an extended warranty later, like say you have a 2 year warranty from factory, and you buy a 5 year extended, ok, yer five years starts the day you pay the bill, now your 2 year 5 year are running concurrently, so waiting 1 year and 11 months then buying the extended warranty gives you 6 years 11 months coverage, reason being is extended warranty and factory warranty are separate companys, and sometimes cover different things so they have to run concurrent, and if something breaks, factory covers it first, if factory doesn't cover it it gets passed to extended, if neither cover, ya jus gotta cuss.
I could only buy extended warranty at the initial contract.
Maybe it’s different in other country.

·
Administrator
1,684 Posts
i get calls daily offering extended warranties - they don't even know what i'm driving but bless their souls - they want to make sure i'm covered if i have a major malfunction with my car or my brain isn't working at the moment that they call

·
Registered
160 Posts
Florida IS pretty strange at times, I think the U.S. still considers us part of the country, mostly the "dangly bit" part

·
Administrator
1,684 Posts
I am frequently entertained on how easy it is to become "florida man" - I know it's your laws but damn, sometimes it must be somewhat? embarrassing.

·
Premium Member
2021 Rebel 1100 DCT
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I could only buy extended warranty at the initial contract.
Maybe it’s different in other country.

I think in the USA you can buy the Honda extended warranty as long as it's still covered under the original factory warranty.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts