Honda Rebel 300 & 500 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So it's my first bike I took to it like walking... Never really smelled any burning, I don't ride the clutch abusively. I'm just under 1000 miles, I hardly take the thing over 4th gear.... I rode through a storm last night for about 10 minutes, bike was perfectly fine... I wake up this morning and I've lost all torque. The bike can go through all gears but I've lost my acceleration on almost all. I was able to get the bike up to 50 but couldn't go past that due to traffic. I'm guessing my clutch is slipping but wtf I haven't super abused it, I did my 600 mile service with the service manual recommended oil. I have an appointment with the dealer next week and he said it's most likely a burnt clutch... And if it is I feel like it must be how adjusted the bike when they gave it to me that caused me to damage it... Smh I'm just upset that I'm going to have to spend upwards of 300$ on a brand new bike... When I get home I'll adjust the cable and maybe take a peek under the cap and see it my disks look worn... Anyway, any insight to my issue would be appreciated

·
Registered
110 Posts
do you by chance have aftermarket lights? If so, perhaps one of the wires got wet and is giving you electrical issues. I only say that because I had this same issue when a ground wire wiggled loose after weeks of trouble free riding. If so, try disconnecting the main tail light (turn signal not needed) and see if it’s better

·
Registered
594 Posts
Some peeps are having trouble with the clutch cable. Maybe you are one more.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
do you by chance have aftermarket lights? If so, perhaps one of the wires got wet and is giving you electrical issues. I only say that because I had this same issue when a ground wire wiggled loose after weeks of trouble free riding. If so, try disconnecting the main tail light (turn signal not needed) and see if it’s better
How would my lights mess with my clutch? And all I did was swap the main bulb, that was a plug and play job no wiring work necessary

·
Registered
266 Posts
You should have between 10mm - 20mm free play in the cable.

I assume the oil in the engine is not overfilled? Is the engine over revving relative to the speed you are travelling e.g. poor acceleration?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You should have between 10mm - 20mm free play in the cable.

I assume the oil in the engine is not overfilled? Is the engine over revving relative to the speed you are travelling e.g. poor acceleration?
Umm yeah poor acceleration

·
Registered
266 Posts
Poor acceleration often means a slipping clutch unless it is something to do with the fuel delivery components - either can have the same effect. Have you tried revving it hard from stationery to make sure the engine increase is smooth to the top? Meaning: no blocked air filter or jets or sensors? Try this first to rule out any fuel delivery issues. Are the spark plugs in good condition as well as the HT leads?

If all okay, double check your clutch adjustment with the bars straight and if necessary, give it more free play than the minimum. All that should happen it will be harder to get in gear and should jolt forward a little or maybe stall!

There’s a post on here giving instructions on how to adjust the clutch from both ends.

Good Luck

Oh...Noticed you said you had rode through a storm. Has any water found it’s way into any of the electrical components? Check around the spark plug area and anywhere else that may have got soaked.

·
Registered
110 Posts
How would my lights mess with my clutch? And all I did was swap the main bulb, that was a plug and play job no wiring work necessary
I had very little info to go on initially and just shared what happened to me. A wire was loose causing lights to flicker occasionally and my acceleration bogged way down, like full throttle I could barely get I t to 45. To be honest I’m not sure how it messed with my acceleration either but it worked perfectly after I fixed it. But if you didn’t wire something then I guess that’s not it.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
This is the problem. There should be 10-20mm play. Too tight is like you’re riding the clutch at all times. I guess it’s toast . An expensive learning experience.
Soooo.... Yea made the adjustments and my clutch is catching beautifully now... Smh I hate to think the damage that was caused because of their error... I even feel more pull now from my first gear... Very upsetting but it's cool I'm learning more I guess.. thank you guys, I knew I wasn't abusing my clutch through user error

1 - 12 of 12 Posts