Could Future Honda Motorcycles Be Hydrogen Powered? - Honda Rebel 300 & 500 Forum
 4Likes
  • 1 Post By Honda Rebel News
  • 2 Post By Lyoko
  • 1 Post By Lyoko

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-29-2017, 02:42 PM Thread Starter

Could Future Honda Motorcycles Be Hydrogen Powered?

We’ve heard of cars featuring hydrogen fuel cell technology as Honda is collaborating with Toyota and Nissan in its development. Now RideApart has news of a fuel cell motorcycle that Honda has patented.

Perhaps this shift is influenced by Japan’s “Strategic Road Map for Hydrogen and Fuel Cells.” This plan outlines the goals set forth by Japan's Ministry of Economy, Trade, and Industry, with the government aiming to put 40,000 hydrogen fuel cell vehicles on the streets and increase fueling stations to 160 by 2020. As no specific mode of transportation was mentioned, we could assume that said plan includes motorcycles as well. Thus the patents Honda filed for a fuel cell motorcycle.

No actual concept or production model has been seen, but we do have patent application drawings depicting what seems to be a sport bike. Fully faired, the hydrogen tank can be found under the seat and we can only assume that is fuel delivery system and motor located where one would usually find the gas tank and engine.

Of course until Honda actually produces a working model, we won’t know how viable hydrogen powered motorcycles will be on public roads and if it’ll be accepted by the riding public. Perhaps a hydrogen Rebel 3 will appear one day. Lets us know what you think about Honda’s new trajectory.
Lyoko likes this.
post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-29-2017, 06:46 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Well, a hydrogen fuel cell motorcycle isn't exactly big news, since those already exist.
What is big news however, is the fact that more are jumping aboard on the idea and the concept!
How, or even if, it will pay off, god knows. When you get everything into place then hydrogen works wonderful, just like a petrol engine.
It's the stages before that that is the tricky part.
After all, when was the last time you saw a hydrogen filling pump..?
It will probably find it's viable life with cars and trucks, but not so much with bikes I imagine.
I've got more faith in the "swappable batteries" patent. That is if all leading brands/makers can settle down on one universal battery type. If not, it'll be a mess. It could work, ofc, but man what a mess...

Found a interesting read on the matter:
https://www.bennetts.co.uk/bikesocia...es_future_fuel
It's published this year, so it's quite up to date on the matter.

One thing that is certain at least, is the fact that the world is changing, it's headed toward it's green goal. So more and more green alternatives within the two wheel world is to be expected.
I for one will be enjoying the sound of a petrol engine for as long as I can. You just can't replicate that sound... It's half the reason why many of us even ride bikes.
01-7700 and Kenny G like this.

Lyoko - Black Rebel 500
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-29-2017, 09:51 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
As an alternative to "going green", and alternative fuel, you could perhaps look towards.. steam? Except for the coal ofc... Besides that I'd say it's a rather "green" alternative
https://www.facebook.com/20385513982...9562326250957/
Cuthbert likes this.

Lyoko - Black Rebel 500
post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-29-2017, 10:42 PM

Garage
I resisted electric starters so I am going to resist and form of propulsion except gasoline.....

Kenny G

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page