Honda Rebel 300, 500, & 1100 Forum banner

Loud squeek upshifting every gear

4K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  Odin 
#1 ·
Hello Forum, Honda Rebel 300 with 800 miles. A Problem has developed that is a noticeable squeak (like a rusty door hinge but only for a second) This happens as I am Upshifting in all gears. Happens hot or cold, Happens ONLY while driving/moving. I have lubed the clutch cable and linkage same problem, I have tried while moving pulling in and releasing clutch lever (No Noise) I have tried shifting through the gears engine off (No Noise) So the noise is only while driving and upshifting through the gears - all gears (lower gears noise more prevalent). I'm not a youngster so I just cruise it. Did first oil change at 400miles and YES I used the correct Motorcycle oil MA rated for wet clutch systems as per the manual (I had a hard time finding it, Napa auto has it). I do not notice any shifting problems, no slippage or problems getting into 1st gear or neutral. Bike revs, rides and shifts normal at this point but the loud squeak upshifting has got to be something and also seriously embarrassing. Sadly the closest dealership is 28 miles away (it's where I bought it) and even worse the service department has poor reviews.... Any suggestions?? Comments?? Anyone else having this issue??

#6 ·
Fix or at least temporary solution

Hello Forum,
After a long conversation with the dealership I elected to NOT bring it there. As per the service advisor there is only 1 Honda technician and he has never ever worked on a 2017 or newer Honda Rebel 300 or 500. He also stated that they did NOT yet even have a service repair manual for the bike (OMG!!!)

I belong to a motorcycle riders group at the last meeting several of us took a look. We did find the source of the noise and some what of a fix (although there still may be a root cause behind the case) As you can see in the photograph, where the shift lever goes into the case. I sprayed some White Lithium Grease and the noise is 100% completely gone. It's been two weeks and has not come back. I don't know if there is a bushing there or just an o-ring but I will keep my ears open and update post.

In the mean time Anybody have a review for Santa Barbara Honda???? I am bypassing Santa Maria for now.

Attachments

#7 ·
Hello Forum,
After a long conversation with the dealership I elected to NOT bring it there. As per the service advisor there is only 1 Honda technician and he has never ever worked on a 2017 or newer Honda Rebel 300 or 500. He also stated that they did NOT yet even have a service repair manual for the bike (OMG!!!)

I belong to a motorcycle riders group at the last meeting several of us took a look. We did find the source of the noise and some what of a fix (although there still may be a root cause behind the case) As you can see in the photograph, where the shift lever goes into the case. I sprayed some White Lithium Grease and the noise is 100% completely gone. It's been two weeks and has not come back. I don't know if there is a bushing there or just an o-ring but I will keep my ears open and update post.

In the mean time Anybody have a review for Santa Barbara Honda???? I am bypassing Santa Maria for now.
Jim,

If there is an oil seal, an O-ring, or a bushing in there try spraying with non-stick cooking spray like PAM. I have saved repairs on anything from a Harley to a Cuisinart Blender with Pam.

I think that was good find by your buddies and the Lithium Grease may cure it permanently.

Good Luck,

Kenny G:smile2:

#10 ·
I just had Nates problem today, after 1200 miles. the clutch lever was squeaking just after you start to let it out. at first i thought it was a bird whistle but then I noticed it happened every shift.
got home and could duplicate it with engine off, so just sprayed WD-40 around the area, and the noise is gone. Took it back out for an hour this afternoon and it's all gone. at this point I didn't take the screw out, just sprayed up from the bottom, though if the problem returns I might do it that way for added benefit.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.