My 500 - New Ohlins fork springs and corbin seat - Honda Rebel 300 & 500 Forum
 12Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 12:04 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2018
Posts: 344
My 500 - New Ohlins fork springs and corbin seat

I just want to show everyone this beauty after all the hard work i put in this weekend. I did the Ohlins fork springs Saturday and the taillight/blinker combo with license plate bracket and light. I also bought a new corbin seat which i think really helps fill in some of the empty space caused by the rear rack (which is a bike rack, yes a literal bicycle rack on my motorcycle).

After several days of google searches I came up short on finding some brackets to mount the lights to the swing arm. So I took matters into my own hands and went to a hardware store picked up some big hose clamps, sized them down to where it would fit my swing arm, then with the extra band sticking out i folded it over multiple times and flattened it with a vice, drilled a hole through it and mounted the lights. it actually worked surprisingly well, and they seem pretty strong and stiff so the lights are bouncing around (which i thought was going to happen). I'm bummed I didn't think about getting marine grade stainless steel hose clamps before doing this so the ones i have will probably rust in a year or so but it will give me a lot more time to come up with something more professional. The lights i bought are the X-ARC duos and they are crazy small and insanely bright! They also seem extremely well built and made from a nice metal.

The ohlins fork springs are 100% the best decision I've made for my bike so far. Seriously the difference is unbelievable, it eats up pot holes and is no longer terrifying when i hit a bump in a turn, it holds to the ground so much better and doesn't feel like a rocking boat when i stop. I was actually so impressed with their performance that i bought the rear piggy back set 15 minutes after my test ride of installing the front springs (the rear set is $1000, My bank account is pissed but I'm happy). If you have the money I highly recommend the front springs, and the install wasn't that bad either.

I also had to cut down the old license plate bracket on the rear fender frame. I'm a firm believer that everyone needs an angle grinder/cutting blade now. I was going to mount a reflector in the holes of the fender but a friend of mine gave me a sweet sticker that I'm just going to cover them up with instead.

I've always said I'm not very handy with tools but after this weekend I'm pretty positive i earned the right to say i am.

Also I forgot to mention ignore the silver fork tube, it has now been wrapped with black vinyl.

Hope you enjoy the photos and my post, Thanks everyone on this forum i literally couldn't of gotten to this point without you guys and you're plethora of information. <3 Rebel Love
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	moto new light 2.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	307.2 KB
ID:	28065   Click image for larger version

Name:	Moto new light 1.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	220.6 KB
ID:	28067   Click image for larger version

Name:	moto new light 3.jpg
Views:	193
Size:	444.0 KB
ID:	28069   Click image for larger version

Name:	moto new light 4.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	120.8 KB
ID:	28071  
CGrazFL, mrded, SLI and 1 others like this.

2016 Rebel 500 non ABS
flyinbrianbmx is online now  
post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 12:39 PM
SLI
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: Montreal, QC, Canada
Posts: 206
Looks awesome!

Can't wait for my custom double-seat Corbin to arrive.
flyinbrianbmx likes this.
SLI is online now  
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 12:56 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2018
Posts: 344
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLI View Post
Looks awesome!

Can't wait for my custom double-seat Corbin to arrive.
It's really nice you'll be glad you bought it, def a little hard at first but the support is so even that it still feels super comfortable, i can only imagine after 2000 miles of breaking it in how nice it,s going to be.

2016 Rebel 500 non ABS
flyinbrianbmx is online now  
post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 04:07 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 813
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyinbrianbmx View Post
I just want to show everyone this beauty after all the hard work i put in this weekend. I did the Ohlins fork springs Saturday and the taillight/blinker combo with license plate bracket and light. I also bought a new corbin seat which i think really helps fill in some of the empty space caused by the rear rack (which is a bike rack, yes a literal bicycle rack on my motorcycle).

After several days of google searches I came up short on finding some brackets to mount the lights to the swing arm. So I took matters into my own hands and went to a hardware store picked up some big hose clamps, sized them down to where it would fit my swing arm, then with the extra band sticking out i folded it over multiple times and flattened it with a vice, drilled a hole through it and mounted the lights. it actually worked surprisingly well, and they seem pretty strong and stiff so the lights are bouncing around (which i thought was going to happen). I'm bummed I didn't think about getting marine grade stainless steel hose clamps before doing this so the ones i have will probably rust in a year or so but it will give me a lot more time to come up with something more professional. The lights i bought are the X-ARC duos and they are crazy small and insanely bright! They also seem extremely well built and made from a nice metal.

The ohlins fork springs are 100% the best decision I've made for my bike so far. Seriously the difference is unbelievable, it eats up pot holes and is no longer terrifying when i hit a bump in a turn, it holds to the ground so much better and doesn't feel like a rocking boat when i stop. I was actually so impressed with their performance that i bought the rear piggy back set 15 minutes after my test ride of installing the front springs (the rear set is $1000, My bank account is pissed but I'm happy). If you have the money I highly recommend the front springs, and the install wasn't that bad either.

I also had to cut down the old license plate bracket on the rear fender frame. I'm a firm believer that everyone needs an angle grinder/cutting blade now. I was going to mount a reflector in the holes of the fender but a friend of mine gave me a sweet sticker that I'm just going to cover them up with instead.

I've always said I'm not very handy with tools but after this weekend I'm pretty positive i earned the right to say i am.

Also I forgot to mention ignore the silver fork tube, it has now been wrapped with black vinyl.

Hope you enjoy the photos and my post, Thanks everyone on this forum i literally couldn't of gotten to this point without you guys and you're plethora of information. <3 Rebel Love
Nice to hear about the fork springs. I am hoping to change mine soon. I was thinking about the ohlins gas piggy back rears but I hate that they do not match the bike color wise.

Are you worried at all about those turn signals? Seems they are so low cars would not see them very well.
shortyg83 is offline  
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 04:17 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2018
Posts: 344
Quote:
Originally Posted by shortyg83 View Post
Nice to hear about the fork springs. I am hoping to change mine soon. I was thinking about the ohlins gas piggy back rears but I hate that they do not match the bike color wise.

Are you worried at all about those turn signals? Seems they are so low cars would not see them very well.
No,I'm not worried at all, they are unbelievable bright (probably 20 times brighter than my previous setup). They're actually 400 Lumen, at night time they cast a 10 foot diameter red light aura on the ground behind me which is pretty cool the blinkers also light up the ground yellow behind me. the photo doesn't do the brightness justice at all i wish i could show you what my eyes see vs what I'm able to capture on camera.

Also i have a bike rack on my motorcycle that was pretty much completely covering my license plate and taillights before, so this was the only option i could come up with to keep them visible while I have a bike on the back of it.

2016 Rebel 500 non ABS
flyinbrianbmx is online now  
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 04:46 PM
Member
 
Neil Braybrook's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: Grand Rapids, MI
Posts: 47
looks awesome! Man I want the ohlins now! lol come do mine! hahahha
Neil Braybrook is offline  
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 05:42 PM
Senior Member
 
dsctr3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Sonoma County, CA
Posts: 164
Garage
[QUOTE=flyinbrianbmx;142173] the rear rack (which is a bike rack, yes a literal bicycle rack on my motorcycle).

Since your rear rack is a bicycle rack and tubular check it often for cracks.
I've had a few tubular rear racks crack that weren't bicycle.
That's when I started making my own racks out of 1/4 x 1-1 1/4 wide and 1/8 or 1/4 x 1 1/2 aluminum angle. All bolted together with 1/4-20 bolts and nylocks.
Haven't had a crack or any problems since.
flyinbrianbmx likes this.

As long as I still get excited to go for a ride, I'll be riding. In the end it may be a moped, but I'll still be riding.

You only have today, go for a ride

Ride and be Free

2018 Rebel 300
dsctr3 is online now  
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 07:54 PM
Senior Member
 
Kenny G's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Robson Ranch, Denton, TX USA 2017 Rebel 500
Posts: 1,295
Garage
Brian,

Please post a link to where you purchased the Ohlins Springs.
Were the springs difficult to install?

Kenny G
flyinbrianbmx likes this.
Kenny G is online now  
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 09:07 AM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2018
Posts: 344
[quote=dsctr3;142201]
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyinbrianbmx View Post
the rear rack (which is a bike rack, yes a literal bicycle rack on my motorcycle).

Since your rear rack is a bicycle rack and tubular check it often for cracks.
I've had a few tubular rear racks crack that weren't bicycle.
That's when I started making my own racks out of 1/4 x 1-1 1/4 wide and 1/8 or 1/4 x 1 1/2 aluminum angle. All bolted together with 1/4-20 bolts and nylocks.
Haven't had a crack or any problems since.
actually yeah that's the next goal is to re design the rack. the only thing is the inside of the fender frame is really close to the tire. like a half inch to inch on each side.

2016 Rebel 500 non ABS
flyinbrianbmx is online now  
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 09:22 AM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2018
Posts: 344
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny G View Post
Brian,

Please post a link to where you purchased the Ohlins Springs.
Were the springs difficult to install?

Kenny G
Actually I called an Ohlins distro about 2 hours from my house and they said there was only 1 pair in the entire U.S. and that it would take them 3 weeks to get it, I decided to forget that and go on Ebay, I bought a set and they guy never replied or said anything for a week so i canceled that order. Then I found out there was actually an Ohlins distributor in my city about 10 miles away! (I don't know why it didn't show up when i was looking for it in the first place) So i called them and they actually had 1 pair in stock! I literally felt like the luckiest person in the U.S. at that point, like i won the lottery, lol. Also they were $250 through the distro and the ones i found online were $300 + shipping so I'd recommend going through a distro if you can!

2016 Rebel 500 non ABS
flyinbrianbmx is online now  
Reply

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome