My 500 project is coming together - Honda Rebel 300 & 500 Forum
 12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-30-2018, 05:16 PM Thread Starter

Thumbs up My 500 project is coming together

So this is the first weekend I haven't had new parts to put on my bike since I bought it, so I was out riding and decided to take some pictures to show all of yall! This is my first bike, and seeing as I don't see myself growing out of it any time soon I wanted to put some work into it to make it mine.

The very first thing I did when I bought the bike was buy the cheapo radiant shorty exhaust. Put it on, rode it around the block and took it off. It sounded ok but I wanted something different. So I spent a little more money and upgraded to the Musarri Slip on, currently I have the baffle in, but it sounds nice with and without the insert.

After that I flipped the mirrors. By far the easiest thing you can do to your bike to both make it look better and let you see behind you without your arms/shoulders being in the way. All you need is these clamps. When I bought them they were only $3...now it seems they are a whopping $7.

The next step was the fender...basically the same story as the exhaust. First I went cheap and ordered the integrated fender/taillight from zeed parts. Zeed shipped it from Thailand to New Mexico in like 4 days for free...so great service, but the part wasn't up to my quality standards. The plastic was soooo flimsy and the paint didn't match the tank. So I sent it back. However I did buy my side license plate mount from Zeed and it's really great quality and comes with a nice little led light.

I bought the H2C fender kit off of someone one ebay. Paid too much for it, but you can't beat the quality of an actual aluminum body part. Plus it came with both front and rear fenders. I got a buddy to paint match the rear fender to the tank. I still need to paint and install the short front fender (I'm keeping it matte black like the stock one)

The rear taillight is this $9 beauty from amazon. I fabricated a bracket to mount it under the fender from aluminum (probably should have taken pictures) and installed it with 3M auto tape. I got OEM turn signal connectors from Custom LED so I didn't have to cut the stock ones off of the original fender. (the turn signals use 2-wire and the brake/runnning lights use a 3-wire) That way, if I ever want to put the original fender back on I can switch it out without having to re-solder the connectors. I connected the license plate light to the rear running light and ran the wire down the shock.

The front turn signals are these $19 pair from amazon as well. They went on in about half an hour. Again I used connectors from Custom LED to not ruin the stock ones.

---

Things I plan on doing eventually:

Like I said, I still need to paint and install the H2C front fender. Currently it's sitting on my kitchen counter.

After that i'm gonna start designing a custom mount for my speedo to sit flush with the top of the forks. The ultimate plan is to install clamp ons so my ride can be forever uncomfortable (but look cool).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0232.jpg
Views:	455
Size:	99.8 KB
ID:	24333   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0246.jpg
Views:	382
Size:	127.0 KB
ID:	24335   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0236.jpg
Views:	400
Size:	116.9 KB
ID:	24337   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0244.jpg
Views:	476
Size:	149.9 KB
ID:	24339  
01-7700, Kenny G, Lyoko and 9 others like this.

my 2018 500abs | musarri exhaust | h2c short fender
post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-01-2018, 09:27 AM

Garage
Looks pretty good! That was a great idea to get the connectors, I never would have thought of that. I've been hesitant to swap any of my turn signals because I didn't want to butcher the factory wiring.

Enjoy that ride!

-CG
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-01-2018, 11:07 PM

Hey did you have to buy the two wire connectors or the three wire connectors?
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-02-2018, 12:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGrazFL View Post
Looks pretty good! That was a great idea to get the connectors, I never would have thought of that. I've been hesitant to swap any of my turn signals because I didn't want to butcher the factory wiring.

Enjoy that ride!

-CG
I wish I saw this before I went ahead and cut my wires haha
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-02-2018, 04:57 PM

Garage
Did you buy the two wire connector, or the three wire connector for the front turn signals?
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-03-2018, 03:46 AM

Please help me where to find the license plate side mount.. where did you buy it? Do you have the link??
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-03-2018, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussianBear365 View Post
Did you buy the two wire connector, or the three wire connector for the front turn signals?
I believe the front turn signals are 3-wire (running light, turn signal, ground) while the rear signals are 2-wire (turn signal, ground). The brake and running lights use a 3-wire.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss G View Post
Please help me where to find the license plate side mount.. where did you buy it? Do you have the link??
I think the license plate holder is this one.

Last edited by kmfpo; 07-03-2018 at 01:41 PM.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-04-2018, 01:13 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmfpo View Post
I believe the front turn signals are 3-wire (running light, turn signal, ground) while the rear signals are 2-wire (turn signal, ground). The brake and running lights use a 3-wire.

I think the license plate holder is this one.

yep and yep. thanks for replying, I didnt see these questions.

my 2018 500abs | musarri exhaust | h2c short fender
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-04-2018, 07:13 PM

Thanks.. got them on eBay for $78.99 zeedparts
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-18-2018, 06:17 PM

Garage
How did you guys wire in the License plate lamp?