Rain Gear: The unforgotten necessity - Honda Rebel 300 & 500 Forum
 12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-06-2018, 10:29 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Wink Rain Gear: The unforgotten necessity

A while aback a young’un was riding along the lonely countryside roads of Mathis Texas, enjoying the late night breeze. His jacket was open because of a busted zipper.
Almost suddenly, the rain started pouring. Being a bit adventurous he decided to ride his newly bought Honda Rebel 500 in the rain without proper rain gear or even a good jacket.
Having never ridden in the rain, he did not know what to expect. Boy oh boy, if you’ve ever ridden through a South Texas rainstorm, let me just say, without a good rain jacket every raindrop feels like an ants bite when it contacts the skin.
After the first couple minutes of this heavy downpour bearing down on him, he decided to stop under a tree to adjust his ‘rain-gear’. He then donned the jacket ‘back-to -front’. Meaning the zipper part at the front of the jacket was now along his back, the collar was all the way around his neck. So his torso and neck could be shielded from the stinging rain as he rode into it. (Imagine wearing a surgeon’ gown).
His journey continued.
About five minutes after, while navigating a steep bend, he skated straight off the road and slammed into a tree. An elderly Good Samaritan seeing what transpired stopped his car to render assistance. When he came up to the biker, he saw was an unconscious individual in a full face helmet.
Old-timer was really concerned and bewildered. For there was a chap on the ground with his head facing the opposite direction from his body (remember the jacket). Out of great concern for the rider, old-timer decided to ‘straighten’ the chap’s head, which he did: crack-crick-crack. The body and head was now aligned…..
He then called 911.
Moral: Use the right gear, and use it properly!
Kenny G, ryan and Ryan500 like this.
post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-06-2018, 10:32 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
*cringe*

Lyoko - Black Rebel 500
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-06-2018, 10:34 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
Sounds like one of those scary bonfire ghost tells, except it's for mc riders, lol!
Ryan500 likes this.

Lyoko - Black Rebel 500
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-06-2018, 10:36 AM Thread Starter

Garage
My half-ass attempt at humor. Also hope to raise awareness.
Kenny G, Lyoko and Ryan500 like this.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-06-2018, 10:37 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
haha

Keith from Maine USA - Rebel R1
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-07-2018, 08:52 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun View Post
A while aback a young’un was riding along the lonely countryside roads of Mathis Texas, enjoying the late night breeze. His jacket was open because of a busted zipper.
Almost suddenly, the rain started pouring. Being a bit adventurous he decided to ride his newly bought Honda Rebel 500 in the rain without proper rain gear or even a good jacket.
Having never ridden in the rain, he did not know what to expect. Boy oh boy, if you’ve ever ridden through a South Texas rainstorm, let me just say, without a good rain jacket every raindrop feels like an ants bite when it contacts the skin.
After the first couple minutes of this heavy downpour bearing down on him, he decided to stop under a tree to adjust his ‘rain-gear’. He then donned the jacket ‘back-to -front’. Meaning the zipper part at the front of the jacket was now along his back, the collar was all the way around his neck. So his torso and neck could be shielded from the stinging rain as he rode into it. (Imagine wearing a surgeon’ gown).
His journey continued.
About five minutes after, while navigating a steep bend, he skated straight off the road and slammed into a tree. An elderly Good Samaritan seeing what transpired stopped his car to render assistance. When he came up to the biker, he saw was an unconscious individual in a full face helmet.
Old-timer was really concerned and bewildered. For there was a chap on the ground with his head facing the opposite direction from his body (remember the jacket). Out of great concern for the rider, old-timer decided to ‘straighten’ the chap’s head, which he did: crack-crick-crack. The body and head was now aligned…..
He then called 911.
Moral: Use the right gear, and use it properly!
(if you’ve ever ridden through a South Texas rainstorm, let me just say, without a good rain jacket every raindrop feels like an ants bite when it contacts the skin.)

Try riding through a South East Asian Monsoon, you’ll need more than a rain jacket to protect you.
Kenny G and Lyoko like this.

Twizz
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-07-2018, 07:01 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twizzian View Post
(if you’ve ever ridden through a South Texas rainstorm, let me just say, without a good rain jacket every raindrop feels like an ants bite when it contacts the skin.)

Try riding through a South East Asian Monsoon, you’ll need more than a rain jacket to protect you.
When I was up there, the rain protection gear of choice by the local riders was a reversed jacket or a plastic bag.

They thought I was mad because I wore a yellow tarmac jacket. Nice and waterproof, but hot and sweaty as heck!

Last edited by JimInOz; 02-07-2018 at 07:02 PM. Reason: spelling
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-08-2018, 12:39 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimInOz View Post
When I was up there, the rain protection gear of choice by the local riders was a reversed jacket or a plastic bag.

They thought I was mad because I wore a yellow tarmac jacket. Nice and waterproof, but hot and sweaty as heck!
Yes your right, & extreme rain doesn’t seem to bother a lot of locals either but unlike them I value my safety, so I just don’t go out in it
Kenny G likes this.

Twizz
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-08-2018, 02:13 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twizzian View Post
Y......................so I just don’t go out in it
Unfortunately I didn't have a choice (well, I did but I hate bus travel )
I rode my RD250 and later my Honda 90 stepthru from my house on Penang Island to the airbase at Butterworth almost every work day for three years.

Riding through knee deep water on the road was the scariest part, lucky it wasn't too often.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-08-2018, 09:05 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimInOz View Post
Unfortunately I didn't have a choice (well, I did but I hate bus travel )
I rode my RD250 and later my Honda 90 stepthru from my house on Penang Island to the airbase at Butterworth almost every work day for three years.

Riding through knee deep water on the road was the scariest part, lucky it wasn't too often.
It wasn’t heavy rain, but I just left Penang a few days before the 2004 Tsunami hit.
It’s all 125 Honda waves there now.

Twizz

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page