Let's talk ear protection - ear plugs - Honda Rebel 300 & 500 Forum
 17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-09-2018, 05:19 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Let's talk ear protection - ear plugs

Hi All,

I know that there has been discussion in separate threads about ear protection specifically ear plugs but I wanted to have the discussion consolidated in one thread. As Ive shared before, I have several pair of custom made ear plugs. I started purchasing them about 10 years ago at the motorcycle show here in Long Beach buying one pair each year. They were a bit pricey at about $50 each but well worth it in my opinion.

Do you wear ear protection on your motorcycle? If so what kind? If not, why not? Any photos to share?
RebelAdmin and Kenny G like this.

2019 Honda Shadow Aero 750, 2017 Honda Rebel 500 (SOLD), 2018 Kawasaki Vulcan S 650 (SOLD)
post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-09-2018, 06:06 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by longbeachgary View Post
Hi All,

I know that there has been discussion in separate threads about ear protection specifically ear plugs but I wanted to have the discussion consolidated in one thread. As Ive shared before, I have several pair of custom made ear plugs. I started purchasing them about 10 years ago at the motorcycle show here in Long Beach buying one pair each year. They were a bit pricey at about $50 each but well worth it in my opinion.

Do you wear ear protection on your motorcycle? If so what kind? If not, why not? Any photos to share?
No.

After 50 years in the shooting sports and 65 years on a motorcycle, my hearing is still 100%, I can't see the point in my risking not being able to hear a car along side me or coming up on me too fast. In shooting I almost always wore the hearing protection muffs and I have been wearing a Bell 500 open face helmet since the late 50's.

Huge printing presses and noisy woodworking equipment were in my many years of employment.....

This is a personal preference and not intended to in any way put down the good idea of protecting one's hearing.

Kenny G
dollarbill181 likes this.
post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-09-2018, 06:33 PM

If I'm riding back and forth to work, interstate, 70+ mph, I wear ear plugs. Howard Leight Max Lite disposable foamies... they're smaller than standard foamies, and much more comfortable.

Normal highway speeds, though, it's not that loud, especially with a full face helmet.

2017 Honda Rebel 500 - Black
post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-09-2018, 06:56 PM

Garage
I recently started wearing them. I'm only 27 but 15 years of playing live music already started taking its toll. I found my ears ringing after highway riding and decided to try them out. I definitely am glad I did. I like the foam ones because it cuts more of the high frequency sort of sounds from the wind. I honestly feel like I can hear everything better with the wind volume cut down. I still hear cars near me and I can hear my bike much better.
motorolla likes this.
post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-09-2018, 07:52 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jskafff View Post
I recently started wearing them. I'm only 27 but 15 years of playing live music already started taking its toll. I found my ears ringing after highway riding and decided to try them out. I definitely am glad I did. I like the foam ones because it cuts more of the high frequency sort of sounds from the wind. I honestly feel like I can hear everything better with the wind volume cut down. I still hear cars near me and I can hear my bike much better.
That's basically the way I feel about them. I have 2 more pair but everyone will get the idea with these. They don't prevent me from hearing traffic. If someone is talking to me with my helmet on, the bike running and my earplugs in, there is a good chance I won't be able to make out what they're saying.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ear plugs.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	98.0 KB
ID:	23381  
Kenny G likes this.

2019 Honda Shadow Aero 750, 2017 Honda Rebel 500 (SOLD), 2018 Kawasaki Vulcan S 650 (SOLD)
post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-09-2018, 07:59 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
I like wearing Plugfones with some music on the freeway. Traffic doesn't sneak up on me because I am constantly aware of what's around and what's approaching from the rear.
Tree likes this.

Keith from Maine USA - Rebel R1
post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-09-2018, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jskafff View Post
I honestly feel like I can hear everything better with the wind volume cut down. I still hear cars near me and I can hear my bike much better.
That right there.

2017 Honda Rebel 500 - Black
post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-09-2018, 08:17 PM

Garage
I do not. its honestly never occured to me until it was mentioned a few weeks back on here. I wear hearing protection at the target range, and at music concerts (of which I attend many), those seem obvious to me based on the high decibel level.
i've never thought wind noise was all that loud to be honest. course i could be wrong, but i doubt i would change the way i do things now having ridden bikes for 27 years
Kenny G and Ezcompane like this.
post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-09-2018, 09:01 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Odin View Post
I do not. its honestly never occured to me until it was mentioned a few weeks back on here. I wear hearing protection at the target range, and at music concerts (of which I attend many), those seem obvious to me based on the high decibel level.
i've never thought wind noise was all that loud to be honest. course i could be wrong, but i doubt i would change the way i do things now having ridden bikes for 27 years

After that much ride time I can see not bothering to try it out but it can't hurt to try it, you might end up liking it. I know veteran riders who have no issues and then I know veteran riders who have bad hearing loss after decades of riding so I'd rather be safe than sorry. Below is an excerpt from the article that put it into perspective for me finally got me to give it a try:

"To put this in perspective, according to OSHA's regulation of industrial noise exposure, an average worker surrounded by levels around 85-90dB for an eight hour day will not exceed the limits of exposure time within a 24 hour period of time.

However, when the sound levels exceed 100dB, your exposure time is reduced to two hours. When sound levels exceed 115dB, your exposure time is drastically reduced to 15 minutes. This puts riding a bike a whole other realm as "wind noise" at highway speeds can measure up to 103dB, or comparable to a running chainsaw. At these levels the rider is not only fatiguing physically from the excess noise exposure, but it also puts him into a position of needing a hearing aid later in life."
01-7700 and longbeachgary like this.
post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-10-2018, 01:20 AM

I'm using https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/...ear-protection

Am pretty happy with them so far

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page