Electronic Toll Device - Honda Rebel 300 & 500 Forum
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-23-2018, 09:01 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Electronic Toll Device

I'm trying to decide if I want to mount something to hold my EZpass toll device (similar to sunpass or fastrak depending where you live in the U.S.) it's the newer/smaller version, so takes up less space.
Just can't decide if i want to keep it in my jacket pocket like previous bikes, and just hold it while going through the toll lane, or semi-permanent mount it like in a magnetic tank bag, or clamp handlebar holder. Does anyone use these and have it mounted somewhere they like? I don't need it often, so don't need a necessarily permanent mount, but more clip on /off like I do with my gps basically. also thought of maybe mounting to top of brake reservoir with velcro or something since it's that exact size. just think it'll fly off eventually
post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-23-2018, 09:21 AM

Garage
Odin,

I have Sunpass here in Florida, and the newer version I have now does NOT work in my pocket or in my bag. I also thought of placing it on the brake reservoir, that would probably work just fine. Most of the toll roads in Florida are starting "Toll By Plate" so if you don't have the pass it just snaps a pic of your plate and either bills your account or sends a bill in the mail. You just have to make sure you license plate is registered to your sunpass account. I have noticed though, that on a motorcycle the toll by plate has about a 50 percent success rate. I think the cameras can't always get a clear shot of the smaller license plate. I've gone through at least a dozen toll by plates in the last few months, and I've only been charged for 5 or 6 tolls. I keep checking my account to see if I have any pending violations but so far no.

I use toll roads maybe once or twice a month, so unless I start getting toll violations in the mail I'm not going to sweat it.

-CG
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-23-2018, 09:24 AM
Banned

Is it an item that has to be physically read (IE bar code or QR code) or is it some type of RFID transmitter? As one has to be out and readable and one just has to be present without much blocking the transmission.

If it has to be read physically then I guess that would depend more on the readers themselves and if there are any requirements for height, orientation etc, but I would think magnets would work great if they are strong enough to stay in position, Velcro will work too but you would need to be mindful of the adhesive and wear on the hook & loops and make sure to replace them as needed.

If it's an RFID system then put it anywhere you want as long as nothing interferes with the signal you're good to go.
post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-23-2018, 08:21 PM Thread Starter

Garage
TS -the transponder (part that I have) is RFID, and when you ride under the toll facility the overhead antenna reads the signal and bills your account.
CG-i have my license plate listed on the account, and it says if the transponder is not 'read' for some reason, they'll use the picture to bill your account, so i guess its not a big deal if it can't read my transponder from say, my pocket or something.
just didn't want a bill like i tried to enter without paying or something ya know?
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-23-2018, 10:23 PM

Garage
I guess one positive thing about being in CA is we are allowed to travel HOV and Fast Pass lanes for free on bikes! Well that and you can ride ALL YEAR LONG!
Kenny G and longbeachgary like this.
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-24-2018, 11:55 AM

The paid highway near me charges extra for those without a transponder so it's best to have one they can read. Seems to do okay in my regular backpack.
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-24-2018, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Showmeguy66 View Post
I guess one positive thing about being in CA is we are allowed to travel HOV and Fast Pass lanes for free on bikes! Well that and you can ride ALL YEAR LONG!

I know in socal the toll roads are not free (OCMT let us know before we got our cert). The car pool lane is allowed.

Per the toll roads website

"Motorcycles pay the same toll as a two-axle vehicle on The Toll Roads. Motorcyclists can use FasTrak, an ExpressAccount and One-Time-Toll to pay. Be sure to keep the transponder in a secure location, such as in a pocket or bag."

Toll Roads website
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-24-2018, 08:49 PM Thread Starter

Garage
the ride i plan on for thursday should take me past at least one toll, i think i'll just leave it in my jacket pocket and see what happens this time.
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-25-2018, 12:41 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by fujirio View Post
I know in socal the toll roads are not free (OCMT let us know before we got our cert). The car pool lane is allowed.

Per the toll roads website

"Motorcycles pay the same toll as a two-axle vehicle on The Toll Roads. Motorcyclists can use FasTrak, an ExpressAccount and One-Time-Toll to pay. Be sure to keep the transponder in a secure location, such as in a pocket or bag."

Toll Roads website
https://www.ocregister.com/2017/03/1...will-cost-you/

Here's a link to the 91 toll lane fees posted March 2017. Sometimes it's free, sometimes a 50% discount, must be in a particular lane, only certain days and direction???? This state is full of BS rules, fines and fees! In LA county on the FasTrack lanes the cameras are smart enough to recognize motorcycle plates and we can ride any lane, any day at any time for free without a transponder. I know it's two different counties but there should be some sort of consistency here. We pay the highest gas prices in the nation, have some of the highest tax rates, have the worst traffic and have found another way to suck cash out of us by charging us to drive to work! On shitty roads no less!
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-25-2018, 01:54 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Showmeguy66 View Post
https://www.ocregister.com/2017/03/1...will-cost-you/

Here's a link to the 91 toll lane fees posted March 2017. Sometimes it's free, sometimes a 50% discount, must be in a particular lane, only certain days and direction???? This state is full of BS rules, fines and fees! In LA county on the FasTrack lanes the cameras are smart enough to recognize motorcycle plates and we can ride any lane, any day at any time for free without a transponder. I know it's two different counties but there should be some sort of consistency here. We pay the highest gas prices in the nation, have some of the highest tax rates, have the worst traffic and have found another way to suck cash out of us by charging us to drive to work! On shitty roads no less!
https://www.thetollroads.com/sites/d...8_RateCard.pdf

I just found this chart, I think it was developed using the "Common Core Math" process!

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page