Repositing footpegs - Honda Rebel 300 & 500 Forum
 15Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-04-2018, 09:51 AM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
mrded's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: London, UK
Posts: 179
Repositing footpegs

You probably all noticed that current footpegs position is good within a city and not as good for a long trip outside a city.
After a couple of hours you want to move your legs a bit forward.

Just recently I found a kit to do that. I only wish it was cheaper.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	51M6mk1w6dL._SL1000_.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	51.9 KB
ID:	20434   Click image for larger version

Name:	61jCVX4gznL._SL1000_.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	83.6 KB
ID:	20442   Click image for larger version

Name:	61oPiM+2tuL._SL1000_.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	80.2 KB
ID:	20450   Click image for larger version

Name:	61xplLvMTVL._SL1000_.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	96.2 KB
ID:	20458  
mrded is offline  
post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-04-2018, 05:14 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Germany
Posts: 7
I found the same Kit: Acessories Honda CMX500 REBEL 2017> machined from solid aluminium, designed and manufactured ​​in Italy by deprettomoto.com - deprettomoto.com
And I would buy it at once - despite the price - because my legs are a little bit too long for the rebel - on longer rides.
But in Germany its not legal to mount this kit. We need an E-Number or an ABE. But the producer can't provide these documents.
Too bad that Honda does not offer a suitable kit for taller riders.
So we have to wait here in Germany and hope for the best.
Kenny G and mrded like this.
MfromG is offline  
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-13-2018, 05:25 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Germany
Posts: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by MfromG View Post
I found the same Kit: Acessories Honda CMX500 REBEL 2017> machined from solid aluminium, designed and manufactured ​​in Italy by deprettomoto.com - deprettomoto.com
And I would buy it at once - despite the price - because my legs are a little bit too long for the rebel - on longer rides.
But in Germany its not legal to mount this kit. We need an E-Number or an ABE. But the producer can't provide these documents.
Too bad that Honda does not offer a suitable kit for taller riders.
So we have to wait here in Germany and hope for the best.
Before DPM showed up with their kit, my girlfriend (she is an industrial mechanic) startet to build me a replacement footpeg (currently only for the right side, because I'm wearing a prosthesis and can not bend my knee to more than 90), about 10cm moved to the front. The brake lever was also bent a bit, so I can use it with my prosthesis.

She built it from stainless steel and after mounting it, the TV (Association for Technical Inspection in Germany) made the needed documents and now I have a legal version.
This unit was built, so it has the shape of the original unit. The original is made of cast aluminum, so it is very very very difficult to weld it.
This unit is also quite heavy, about 3 times the weight of the original. I think it will survive an earth quake ;-)

But we had to install a longer brake line and a longer cable for the brake light indicator. I've sent a mail to DPM, asking about if this would be needed on their kit, too, they answered "no". We can't believe, because the moved the unit 17cm to the front and we did only 10cm and needed extensions.

Next winter she is going to built it for the left side, too ;-)

I will try and take a picture with the mounted unit (currently have no picture on my Mac to show here). One picture is from "during the build" ;-)

I like the stainless steel look, a complete contrast to the black of the rest of the machine.

Sven
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4348.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	243.6 KB
ID:	25455   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4344.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	262.4 KB
ID:	25457   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4332.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	313.3 KB
ID:	25459  
01-7700, Kenny G, Lyoko and 3 others like this.
svenc is offline  
post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-13-2018, 06:05 PM
Senior Member
 
CueBaller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 715
Quote:
Originally Posted by svenc View Post
But we had to install a longer brake line and a longer cable for the brake light indicator. I've sent a mail to DPM, asking about if this would be needed on their kit, too, they answered "no". We can't believe, because the moved the unit 17cm to the front and we did only 10cm and needed extensions.
I can confirm there are no brake line or cable extensions in the DPM kit.

2017 Honda Rebel 500 - Black
CueBaller is offline  
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-13-2018, 06:35 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Germany
Posts: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by CueBaller View Post
I can confirm there are no brake line or cable extensions in the DPM kit.
Have You already mounted it? I think You will need these extensions.

Their answer to my question regarding the need of extensions was:

Quote:
Hi,
do not worry, solve these problems and our job.
We confirm that the kit is complete with instructions and everything needed to be applied without making any changes.
and after I mentioned my concerns, that the kit wouldn't work without extensions:

Quote:
I'm sorry but we do not sell required components.
A quite expensive solution, especially if the buyer can't use it without replacing/extending the brake line and cable. ;-)
svenc is offline  
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-13-2018, 08:23 PM
Senior Member
 
CueBaller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 715
Quote:
Originally Posted by svenc View Post
Have You already mounted it? I think You will need these extensions.

Their answer to my question regarding the need of extensions was:



and after I mentioned my concerns, that the kit wouldn't work without extensions:



A quite expensive solution, especially if the buyer can't use it without replacing/extending the brake line and cable. ;-)
Yes, the kit is mounted, and no extensions are required. There's at least one other person here who has installed the kit as well.

The kit consists pretty much of just brackets, rods, spacers and hardware (bolts, spacers, etc).

2017 Honda Rebel 500 - Black
CueBaller is offline  
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-14-2018, 04:22 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Germany
Posts: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by CueBaller View Post
Yes, the kit is mounted, and no extensions are required. There's at least one other person here who has installed the kit as well.

The kit consists pretty much of just brackets, rods, spacers and hardware (bolts, spacers, etc).
really interesting. Could You provide a detail picture, so I could see, how the handle the problem with the brake line, so an extension isn't needed?

Many thanks in advance.
svenc is offline  
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-14-2018, 04:23 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Germany
Posts: 4
here the picture with the mounted self-made footpeg! ;-)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3286.jpg
Views:	293
Size:	352.2 KB
ID:	25463  
Kenny G and Lyoko like this.
svenc is offline  
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-14-2018, 07:09 PM
Senior Member
 
CueBaller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 715
Quote:
Originally Posted by svenc View Post
really interesting. Could You provide a detail picture, so I could see, how the handle the problem with the brake line, so an extension isn't needed?

Many thanks in advance.
It may be a few days before I can take a pic, but I'm pretty sure a linkage rod was used to connect the forward mounted brake pedal to the original controls.

2017 Honda Rebel 500 - Black
CueBaller is offline  
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-14-2018, 08:17 PM
Senior Member
 
Prgrmerror's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: Columbia SC
Posts: 271
Garage
The reason you need to extend the wires and line is because the depretto kit does not move the rear brake assembly forward. It stays in the original location on the new bracket. The kit comes with a rod to connect the new pedal location to the original brake master cyl location. Her work is fantastic. If she can move the brake master cyl back to the original location then find a rod to connect them youre all set. Of course there is usually more than 1 way to solve the issue. Good luck.
svenc likes this.
Prgrmerror is offline  
Reply

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
installing passenger footpegs kuri77 Accessories And Add Ons 26 04-20-2019 07:51 AM

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome