Top Case for Helmet - Honda Rebel 300 & 500 Forum
 13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-24-2018, 06:26 PM Thread Starter

Top Case for Helmet

The stock rear luggage rack works pretty well for a GIVI MonoKey situation. Looks aside, its utility is necessary for my kind. Helmet stowage.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	REBELUTION_BLACK_MISTRESS.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	246.0 KB
ID:	19066  
Tree likes this.
post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-24-2018, 07:32 PM
Banned

I don't fault your need for storage, but good god it's hideously large for such a small bike. Do you need dual helmet storage? It looks like your passenger would be cramped with that thing in their back.
dollarbill181 likes this.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-24-2018, 08:20 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Techsniffer View Post
I don't fault your need for storage, but good god it's hideously large for such a small bike. Do you need dual helmet storage? It looks like your passenger would be cramped with that thing in their back.
I hear ya, and it's nice that it just pops right off. It goes on whatever bike I'm riding, has helmet on one side, and usually jackets, liners, gloves, hat, glasses, etc on the other side.

I agree it's friggin' HUGE, but I'm too cheap to buy a smaller one, just for this bike to look right. That top case is about 5 years old now. Been through ****, and this is bike #4 for it. It also has brake-lights, so I'll suffer the (well deserved) hazing for looking like a tool.

It does grow on ya, after a while. I kind of like the way it looks now.
Tree likes this.
post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-24-2018, 08:40 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebelution View Post
It does grow on ya, after a while. I kind of like the way it looks now.
I guess lol, never a bad look carrying a small country on the back of your bike haha.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-24-2018, 08:43 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Techsniffer View Post
I guess lol, never a bad look carrying a small country on the back of your bike haha.
52 Liters. It's stupid big. It didn't look so bad on my last bike though:
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	TENERE_TRACKS_REARVIEW.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	389.1 KB
ID:	19074  
Tree likes this.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-24-2018, 08:45 PM Thread Starter

and its size isn't too big for this 1811cc Indian, but it totally messes up its look:

(these are all my other bikes, currently)
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Bully_German_American_Indian_Highball_Beatrix.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	27.0 KB
ID:	19082  
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-24-2018, 08:54 PM
Banned

Yeah it doesnt look so bad on the Indian, but I agree it does no favors for the overall looks of it. And on the Rebel its just so massive compared to the size of the bike. You'd think in the 100+ years of motorcycles they would have figured out a way to offer some storage by now lol. Maybe when everything is electric we'll have some small o bike storage by default lol... or sweet Guardians of the Galaxy helmets that just collapse into nothing.
Lyoko and thesophbot like this.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-25-2018, 04:23 AM

I use this strap for my helmet to be secure when I take it with me.. Place it on the pillion seat (when I have passenger, the helmet is placed on her head, lol) and hook it under the rear fender. Well worth the 2 bucks
Wicksywoo likes this.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-25-2018, 03:35 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bajonett View Post
I use this strap for my helmet to be secure when I take it with me.. Place it on the pillion seat (when I have passenger, the helmet is placed on her head, lol) and hook it under the rear fender. Well worth the 2 bucks
Awesome. I already had the top-case, so it some ways it's free for me to use. I like having (52 LITERS) some lockable storage on the bike, for pizza mind. I can throw my riding jacket in there, get groceries, then carry frozen pizzas home. I'll leave a huge (Chrome's Largest) messenger bag stowed away, then fill it, wear it, and also fill the trunk for the trip home. I'm not styling, I'll give ya that. But I just love using the bike like a small car, saving gas and having a blast.

It's all quick-release with a button-press for when I'm trying to front and perpetrate a fraud (pretending to be cooler than I am).

Today I wired up the LED Brake Lights. It was too easy with the info found here (thanks to @Twizzian ). Just to reiterate: It really was the green w/yellow striped wire that connects into the white connector of that 3-connector deal between the battery and the rear fender, under the seat. Where it is those three wires, green/yellow, brown, and green, is where it goes back to the rear, to the taillight section... That part of the connector pulls away from the thing that holds all three, different colored but same shape connectors, then you have a bit more room t'werk with.

I blew a fuse trying to play Operation™ sticking my test-light-probe in there with shaky hands. Luckily this bike came with a spare 7.5A fuse that I needed needle nose pliers to deploy, but I got it. The plastic fuse puller on that little tray above the battery that you pull out by pressing those little nubs in those finicky clips works pretty amazingly to pull out one of these tiny fuses. It snaps into little recesses in the sides of these little fuses, and pulls straight out. Good stuff.

Anyway, I tested the wires, because I didn't (fully) trust what I read here, and just wanted to be sure mine was the same. After replacing the fuse, I found out it was. Tapped in right there in that green/yellow wire and lo and behold, there was LED light. Amaze.

I am STOKED! I feel super safe now too
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	GIVI-BRAKE-LIGHTS-WIRED.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	65.4 KB
ID:	19138  
Lyoko and Tree like this.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-25-2018, 03:44 PM Thread Starter

Oh here go them lights

Tree likes this.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version