Increased visibility. - Honda Rebel 300 & 500 Forum
 11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-28-2018, 04:04 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Increased visibility.

Hi guys,

I live in South Texas where distracted driving seems to be the norm. There are a whole lot of folks texting, talking, eating...etc. (All this, while driving over 75 mph).

I ride with a high visibility vest over my jacket, especially at night. For an added layer of protection, I was wondering if anyone has ever installed or can recommend a rechargeable flashing LED helmet light.

When in doubt,
Ride it out.
post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-28-2018, 06:21 PM

I haven't tried them, but I've been looking at some options myself as well. I'm interested to see if anyone else has tried any helmet lights.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-28-2018, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun View Post
Hi guys,

I live in South Texas where distracted driving seems to be the norm. There are a whole lot of folks texting, talking, eating...etc. (All this, while driving over 75 mph).

I ride with a high visibility vest over my jacket, especially at night. For an added layer of protection, I was wondering if anyone has ever installed or can recommend a rechargeable flashing LED helmet light.
I don't know about Texas road laws but flashing any color lights is illegal in CA. In fact any colors other than White, Yellow, Amber, on the front and Red, Yellow, Amber on the rear are illegal on a moving vehicle.

I've heard stories of joggers getting pulled over for having the wrong colors on.

That being said you are allowed to have STEADY on or DRL on your vest. The reason having them on the helmet is not recommended is because your head constantly moves while riding as you're looking around and to another person on the road it may look like strobing lights. Imagine riding at night and all you see ahead of you are red tail lights and all of a sudden a white light comes on, it's confusing as **** and you will get cited for causing a distraction on top of illegal lighting.

I'm building a light vest, just waiting for parts to arrive.

I've read everything there is to read regarding having additional lights either on the bike or your body. I've spoken to both car and motorcycle cops regarding this matter. But then again this only pertains to CA road laws.

Hope this helps.
Lyoko, Loki452 and Shaun like this.
post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-28-2018, 06:36 PM

Also one other thing you could do is add more lights on your bike. Although beware that there are laws regulating this as well, but I'm going to add DRL lights to the front forks and changing converting all lights to LEDs.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-28-2018, 08:07 PM

Garage
IMO if you feel more comfortable wearing a flashing light on your helmet - go for it. It may or may not be legal but until you get caught you'll feel safer. I used to see a lot of motorcycles with modulating headlights but I don't see it too much anymore.
Loki452 and Shaun like this.

2019 Honda Shadow Aero 750, 2017 Honda Rebel 500 (SOLD), 2018 Kawasaki Vulcan S 650 (SOLD)
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-28-2018, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan500 View Post
I don't know about Texas road laws but flashing any color lights is illegal in CA. In fact any colors other than White, Yellow, Amber, on the front and Red, Yellow, Amber on the rear are illegal on a moving vehicle.

I've heard stories of joggers getting pulled over for having the wrong colors on.

That being said you are allowed to have STEADY on or DRL on your vest. The reason having them on the helmet is not recommended is because your head constantly moves while riding as you're looking around and to another person on the road it may look like strobing lights. Imagine riding at night and all you see ahead of you are red tail lights and all of a sudden a white light comes on, it's confusing as **** and you will get cited for causing a distraction on top of illegal lighting.

I'm building a light vest, just waiting for parts to arrive.

I've read everything there is to read regarding having additional lights either on the bike or your body. I've spoken to both car and motorcycle cops regarding this matter. But then again this only pertains to CA road laws.

Hope this helps.
I'm almost done just don't know where to best tap into brake light and turn signals

Sent from my RCT6303W87DK using Tapatalk
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-28-2018, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by richard-phx View Post
I'm almost done just don't know where to best tap into brake light and turn signals

Sorry if I missed a post, but you're almost done with what?
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-28-2018, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan500 View Post
Sorry if I missed a post, but you're almost done with what?
Vest/ jacket with brake light, running light, turn signals and hazards. Stopped cause I need simple access to those connections. Preferably from rear taillight assembly or wiring near rear fender.

post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-01-2018, 12:05 AM

I thought the connections for the rear taillight assembly is under the seat. You're going to run wires from the tail assembly back up the rear fender and into the vest?
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-01-2018, 01:41 AM

Garage
You could get some reflective tape/stickers from amazon or several different websites. There are reflective stickers and designs made for fireman helmets as well that I've been looking at. All different colors to match your helmet but at night they are very bright. Attached is a sample of what I'm talking about (they might have gone a little overboard, or maybe not!)
Attached Images

Loki452 and Shaun like this.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page