Rearward Mounted Pegs/Controls - Honda Rebel 300 & 500 Forum
 16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-19-2018, 07:04 PM Thread Starter

Rearward Mounted Pegs/Controls

My girlfriend switched from a CB500F to the Rebel 500 and didn't like the more forward foot position, not to mention the right side engine case seems to get in the way of the stock foot position. After considering all options, the only way I found to significantly move the foot position back was custom brackets. I went through a couple of iterations, made some prototypes out of MDF so I could test the geometry, and finally settled on a shape. Since I don't know of any local machine shops, I had the parts machined and powder coated using eMachineShop. It was the first time I used their software and have to say the instant and automatic quoting is really nice. Within a couple of weeks I received the brackets and the quality was good even though I didn't specify high tolerances.

I had to remove the stock shift lever because it's not compatible with the new position. I got an R6 shift lever on eBay and after some modifications using some parts from McMaster-Carr, it's now compatible with the new foot position. Luckily the foot rest brackets on the Rebel 500 have an additional forward mounting hole which worked with the shorter shift lever.

See attached pictures.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Rebel 500 Custom Bracket.jpg
Views:	378
Size:	180.9 KB
ID:	17042  
01-7700, Kenny G, Lyoko and 2 others like this.
post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-20-2018, 10:04 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
Huh, that's a first. Haven't seen anyone moving them further backwards until now.
Gotta show us some pics how it looks finished!
Kenny G likes this.

Lyoko - Black Rebel 500
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-20-2018, 10:20 AM

Save the originals. You may want them back in the future.
post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-21-2018, 04:17 PM

The right side engine case is slightly annoying. But I really don't even notice it anymore.
You may run into a few problems.

How tall is your girlfriend? This bike does not have nearly the seat height of the CB500f. Moving the pedals back will not have the same result as they are on her old bike. It will cause her legs to cramp up basically right below her.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-21-2018, 11:37 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Paw View Post
Save the originals. You may want them back in the future.
There's nothing to save. The brackets I made just move the existing footrest backwards.

She's about 5'1". I just try to put her feet where she wants them. If she rides like this for a while and then decides she wants something different, I'll figure it out then.

One of the things that makes long rides easier is a way to extend your leg straight out. After I got a set of long frame sliders on my FJ-09 and started using them as leg rests, I bought another pair and put them on her bike so she could do the same. I attached a picture that shows the bracket and the frame slider. Once it's installed, the custom bracket isn't much to see because it is black and it is nearly hidden behind the existing footrest bracket.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CMX500 footrest adapter plate.jpg
Views:	324
Size:	292.8 KB
ID:	17098  
Lyoko and RupertC like this.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-21-2018, 11:51 PM

Garage
E,

You did a really good job and certainly well thought out.

Now that my seat is properly elevated to suit my stature I wouldn't mind moving my foot controls back like you have. I am not clever enough to do what you have done.
If you ever offer a conversion kit for sale put my name at the top of the list...

Kenny G
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-22-2018, 12:07 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny G View Post
E,

If you ever offer a conversion kit for sale put my name at the top of the list...

Kenny G
Kenny, I'm not in the business of selling parts, but if you were ever interested in doing it yourself I can give you a complete list of parts as well as the CAD model so you could have it machined using eMachineShop or some other shop you know of.

In fact, I used Onshape, so the CAD model is publicly visible. You'll notice an extra set of small holes. I added these just in case she ever doesn't want her feet quite as far back. I can drill and tap those small holes and then there is an additional mounting position in case she doesn't want her feet so far back.
https://cad.onshape.com/documents/71...472f21559765b9

Once you get the brackets made, the hardest thing is modifying the R6 shift lever by removing its ball joint. However, I did it all with hand tools. I don't even own a drill press.
Kenny G and Lyoko like this.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-22-2018, 12:59 AM

Garage
E,

Thank you for the link, I am not sure if I will tackle this project, but you made it easy enough for me if I do.

Kenny G
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-22-2018, 06:32 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
Looks really clean and neat, good job.
any issue on the other side with the brake pedal?

Sent fra min SM-G930F via Tapatalk

Lyoko - Black Rebel 500
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-22-2018, 11:23 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyoko-Code View Post
any issue on the other side with the brake pedal?
On the other side I've got the PR2 exhaust from Zeed Parts installed and I believe this is providing clearance that allows the footrest to be mounted farther back. However, I haven't tried mounting the stock exhaust after relocating the footrest so I'm not sure if it would be compatible. You'll notice in the original picture I posted that one of the white prototypes is mounted with the PR2 exhaust visible. The brackets were not developed with consideration for the stock exhaust. If she ever gets tired of the aftermarket exhaust sound and wants to switch back to the stock exhaust, I'll find out then if it fits.

The rear brake line now has a tighter bend, but it wasn't enough that it concerned me, especially since it is static and stays in place without flexing (unlike the front brake line).

Speaking of brake lines, because I added different handlebars, the front brake line had to be replaced. I ordered a custom brake line from Spiegler and installing it was probably the most difficult thing I've done on the motorcycle because of how the electronics are packaged under the gas tank. What a nightmare! The electronics package has to be completely disassembled before the front brake line manifold can be accessed.
Kenny G and Lyoko like this.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page