MC Enterprises Review Of Rear Fender Rack - Honda Rebel 300 & 500 Forum
 25Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-22-2017, 10:36 PM Thread Starter

Garage
MC Enterprises Review Of Rear Fender Rack

MC Enterprises Review Of Rear Fender Rack
While riding our Rebels, all of us have to haul stuff from time to time. I recently stumbled across MC Enterprises website [MCEnterprises.com] amd realized that they have some new products specifically designed for the 2017 & 2018 Rebel 300 & 500. The product that really caught my attention was the Rear Fender Rack (#121-29). The rack was designed with input directly from actual Rebel owners, which I thought was pretty cool.
The rack was shipped via Fed Ex and arrived quickly, neatly packaged, and included all required hardware as well as a set of Installation Instructions.

What a surpriseÖ..
Here are the instructions as copied from the Installation Instruction sheet:
1. REMOVE THE TWO STOCK BOLTS ON TOP OF THE REAR FENDER. (Authorís Note: Some of us have had trouble removing the bolts attaching the fender and the bolts on the top of the fender. I highly recommend using Hex Bit Allen Sockets when these bolts are stubborn. I ended up with a breaker bar attached to the 6mm socket to break my bolts loose.)
2. SECURE RACK WITH THE 2 NEW 8 MM X 20 MM BUTTON HEAD BOLTS AND 4 NYLON WASHERS, POSITIONING ONE WASHER BETWEEN THE FENDER AND THE RACK AND THE OTHER WASHER UNDER THE HEAD OF EACH BOLT. (Authorís Note: MC Enterprises recommends the use of a thread locker such as Vibra-Tite on all fasteners. I happened to have a tube of Purple Vibra-Tite so I used that. I normally would have used Blue Loc-Tite.)
3. TIGHTEN BOLTS SECURELY. (Authorís Note: Since there are nylon washers used you wonít be able to crank the bolts down like you are trying to twist them off. Just make them good ní tight and check them after your first ride to make sure they are still tight.)

This is an American Made product and I was really quite impressed with the quality of the welds as well as the matte black powder coated finish. In the photographs below, you'll notice that there are four studs welded to the underside of the rack. These are used to attach bungee cords to help hold your cargo in place. You can purchase this rack, as well as the other Rebel products from MC Enterprises, through your local dealer or from MC Enterprises directly.

MCE

They are open Monday through Thursday to accept telephone calls and ship products.

Kenny G
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1st. MC Package.JPG
Views:	367
Size:	570.2 KB
ID:	12026   Click image for larger version

Name:	Breaking the Honda Bolts loose.JPG
Views:	348
Size:	518.1 KB
ID:	12034   Click image for larger version

Name:	MC Left Side View.JPG
Views:	428
Size:	471.6 KB
ID:	12042   Click image for larger version

Name:	MC Rack Ride Side View.JPG
Views:	418
Size:	433.3 KB
ID:	12050   Click image for larger version

Name:	MC Top View.JPG
Views:	323
Size:	575.5 KB
ID:	12058  

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-23-2017, 01:22 AM

Garage
Best version I've seen for that style Kenny, much better than the Harley ones that need extended bits etc.

My only concern would be side to side stability as it's only supported by two centreline bolts, unlike the pillion seat which has four additional pads (two each outer side) to take the weight over a greater area.
Kenny G likes this.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-23-2017, 02:27 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimInOz View Post
Best version I've seen for that style Kenny, much better than the Harley ones that need extended bits etc.

My only concern would be side to side stability as it's only supported by two centreline bolts, unlike the pillion seat which has four additional pads (two each outer side) to take the weight over a greater area.
Jim,

I too was concerned about stability.

I am guessing that the kind of loads that one would put on this size rack are not going to be very tall or put much lateral force on the rack when cornering. I can pull on the rack from the right hand side of the bike while the bike is resting on the side stand and not see anything moving. I am mostly going to carry the clothing that I shed as the day warms up and a small box of groceries occasionally. Someone asked about carrying a gallon jug of milk so I am going to test with a gallon jug of water. I don't want to clean up the mess from milk if doesn't work. LOL

Time will tell how sturdy it is, but the workmanship, welding, and powder coating are flawless.

I have adapted studs to hold the fender on to the fender supports so that I can attach bungee cords or a cargo net to the studs, which I think will be stronger than the built in bungee cord studs on the fender brace. The built in studs are really nice touch and will be quick to throw my coat on the rack and attach a pair of bungee cords....

I will take some pics tomorrow with what I have in mind for attaching the cargo net.

Kenny G
FLrebel likes this.
post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-23-2017, 07:33 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
This does look very well made, finished off nicely & keeping the asthetics of the bike by matching the curvature of the fender.
I guess soft bags, clothing, poss a small tent etc are itís limitations. Anything larger & squareish might be a bit precarious.
Possibly a top box could go on if the base plate was re-fabricated with some flat supports at the rack ends.

If I still had my original fender on, this is what Iíd go for.
Kenny G likes this.

Twizz
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-23-2017, 12:09 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Lol, did they pay you to post this Kenny? You sound like a salesman :P
It looks neat thou! Quite nice.

Lyoko - Black Rebel 500
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-23-2017, 12:38 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyoko-Code View Post
Lol, did they pay you to post this Kenny? You sound like a salesman :P
It looks neat thou! Quite nice.
Lyoko,

No I didn't get paid, I would like to accept bribes if they are available. LOL

After my disappointment with the Hong Kong and Thailand products it is refreshing to buy an American made product that is the real stuff.

Here is a couple pics of the rack and a cargo net.

Kenny G
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0959.JPG
Views:	312
Size:	573.5 KB
ID:	12178   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0958.JPG
Views:	328
Size:	585.0 KB
ID:	12186  
Twizzian likes this.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-23-2017, 02:29 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny G View Post
Lyoko,

No I didn't get paid, I would like to accept bribes if they are available. LOL

After my disappointment with the Hong Kong and Thailand products it is refreshing to buy an American made product that is the real stuff.

Here is a couple pics of the rack and a cargo net.

Kenny G
Hehe, I have no doubt Kenny Enjoy it!
Kenny G likes this.

Lyoko - Black Rebel 500
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-13-2017, 12:17 PM

Anyone have any influence with MC to get them to sell in the UK ??

I would love to put this on my 500. I have removed the passenger seat and pegs (comes at standard in the UK) and have a swing-arm bag but am looking for a nice way of adding more carrying space.
Kenny G likes this.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-13-2017, 03:09 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Dispo,

Contact MC and ask .

You have the good Hepco and Becker products in Europe.

Kenny G
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-05-2018, 11:58 AM

Garage
Hello Rebels!

After reading the review here, I decided to purchase one of these rear fender racks myself. I called MC Enterprises and they quoted me $90 (USD) for the rack and another 15 to ship it. MC Enterprises also sells this rack to MeanCycles.com, and MeanCycles charges 86.95 for the rack and 8.99 for shipping. I would have thought it would be cheaper to order it direct from MC, but I guess not! My rack should be here Wednesday. With the money I saved, I ordered one of those cargo nets from Amazon.

FYI - MeanCycles will ship international also.

MeanCycles | REAR FENDER RACK BLACK FOR REBEL 300 & 500 MODELS - Part No: 121-29

-CG
01-7700, Lyoko and JimInOz like this.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page