Oxford Heatearz Premium Grips mounting - Honda Rebel 300 & 500 Forum
 11Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-19-2017, 10:52 AM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Firecracker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Cordes Lakes, Arizona
Posts: 24
Oxford Heatearz Premium Grips mounting

Ok, I froze my fingers off yesterday morning going to a group ride for the food bank (it was so funny there were a million Harley's, my Honda, and BMW GS on the run lmao. 32 degrees for an 8 am run which I had to ride 30 + miles to get to the start). My freeze out gear under my clothes kept me toasty but the winter gloves and freeze out glove liners sucked.
Have any of you put heated grips on and where did you put your controller? How did you get the other grips off? Someone suggested just cutting them off?
Any Tips?
Kenny G likes this.
Firecracker is offline  
post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-19-2017, 12:29 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 6
Not on my Rebel, but a different bike I have always cut the grips off. There's other ways to do it, but it seems cutting is easiest.
nickcorvus is offline  
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-19-2017, 04:54 PM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Firecracker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Cordes Lakes, Arizona
Posts: 24
Well never mind- The throttle grip won't fit on the bar - really pissed right now.
RupertC likes this.
Firecracker is offline  
post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-20-2017, 01:17 AM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Stuttgart, Germany
Posts: 9
I have mounted heated grips on my Rebel 500 last week.
I had to buy a 1" set since my handle bar is 1". You need to check yours (I have a european version).
I bought those: Hotgrips Premium Cruiser with v8 switch : Oxford Products
There is an extra part for Honda throttle grip.
I will take some pictures later and post them.
Kenny G and Lyoko like this.
Doogie_H is offline  
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-20-2017, 03:00 AM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Stuttgart, Germany
Posts: 9
Some pictures.
All cables go to the right of the bike and under the tank.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Oxford3.jpg
Views:	192
Size:	229.0 KB
ID:	11954   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oxford2.jpg
Views:	209
Size:	205.0 KB
ID:	11962   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oxford1.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	296.0 KB
ID:	11970  
Lyoko likes this.
Doogie_H is offline  
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-20-2017, 05:51 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: UK
Posts: 108
Do those Oxford grips make a great deal of difference when it's down to freezing point? And do they turn off automatically as specified by Oxford?
Cuthbert is offline  
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-20-2017, 07:45 AM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Stuttgart, Germany
Posts: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuthbert View Post
Do those Oxford grips make a great deal of difference when it's down to freezing point? And do they turn off automatically as specified by Oxford?
It does make a huge difference in temperatures between 5C (41F) and 15C (59F). You can you normal leather gloves.
Below 5C you gonna need winter gloves any way.

They turn off when the engine isn't running. I connected them directly to the battery.
Kenny G and gthib like this.
Doogie_H is offline  
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-20-2017, 08:01 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: UK
Posts: 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doogie_H View Post
It does make a huge difference in temperatures between 5C (41F) and 15C (59F). You can you normal leather gloves.
Below 5C you gonna need winter gloves any way.

They turn off when the engine isn't running. I connected them directly to the battery.
Cool, I might invest in some of these. How do you rate the fit/finish quality of the Oxford grips. Also, there's a canvas strap around one of the grips in your photo, that's not a part of the grip is it?
Cuthbert is offline  
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-20-2017, 08:14 AM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Stuttgart, Germany
Posts: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuthbert View Post
Cool, I might invest in some of these. How do you rate the fit/finish quality of the Oxford grips. Also, there's a canvas strap around one of the grips in your photo, that's not a part of the grip is it?
The quality is very good.
Worth mentioning is that a diameter of Oxford grips is noticibly bigger than the one of stock grips. It works quite good for me (big hands).

The strip is just a reminder for disk lock.
Kenny G likes this.
Doogie_H is offline  
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-20-2017, 08:16 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: UK
Posts: 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doogie_H View Post
The quality is very good.
Worth mentioning is that a diameter of Oxford grips is noticibly bigger than the one of stock grips. It works quite good for me (big hands).

The strip is just a reminder for disk lock.
Nice one, many thanks for that. I guess I'll be putting them on my Christmas list
Cuthbert is offline  
Reply

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome