7Likes
  • 2 Post By JimInOz
  • 1 Post By Twizzian
  • 4 Post By 01-7700

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-31-2017, 11:34 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Helmet Lock Installation

As we are all aware, there's no helmet lock on the bike so after market is the only option. After looking for a lock to suit my requirements I gave up and paid the eye watering price commanded by the Honda Accessory (AUD$95)

The lock is made by/for Kitaco from Japan but actually made in Thailand. Here's a shot of the package:

And the actual components (pic from the net). There's a lock section and an adapter that replaces the bar clamp, plus keys and an extra long machine screw.

Tools need to install are a 5mm hex bit and a No3 Phillips head bit and any handles/drivers you prefer to use.

Installation was as simple as removing the front brake clamp from the handlebar by unscrewing the 2 x 6mm socket head screws. The lock adapter and lock are then put on and secured with the new long screw and one of the original socket head screws. In all it didn't take as long to do as write this post.

However, after fitting it as shown in the Honda Accessory web page I decided to put it on the left hand side as that's where I get on and off the bike. So here it is fitted in the final position.

A check for clearance on full left lock shows that it won't connect with the tank.

It's quite easy to use and the helmet can be hung from the lock, or sat on top of the bars which is what I usually do.

As I mentioned, Kitaco make these but it appears that the 1" variant is only available via Honda at the moment. Hopefully as the CMX500/300 matures there will be more accessories at reasonable prices.

Cheers

Jim
Kenny G and Lyoko like this.

Last edited by 01-7700; 09-01-2017 at 10:32 AM. Reason: replace links with images
post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-01-2017, 12:02 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimInOz View Post
As we are all aware, there's no helmet lock on the bike so after market is the only option. After looking for a lock to suit my requirements I gave up and paid the eye watering price commanded by the Honda Accessory (AUD$95)

The lock is made by/for Kitaco from Japan but actually made in Thailand. Here's a shot of the package:

Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet

And the actual components (pic from the net). There's a lock section and an adapter that replaces the bar clamp, plus keys and an extra long machine screw.

Tools need to install are a 5mm hex bit and a No3 Phillips head bit and any handles/drivers you prefer to use.

Installation was as simple as removing the front brake clamp from the handlebar by unscrewing the 2 x 6mm socket head screws. The lock adapter and lock are then put on and secured with the new long screw and one of the original socket head screws. In all it didn't take as long to do as write this post.

However, after fitting it as shown in the Honda Accessory web page I decided to put it on the left hand side as that's where I get on and off the bike. So here it is fitted in the final position.

A check for clearance on full left lock shows that it won't connect with the tank.

It's quite easy to use and the helmet can be hung from the lock, or sat on top of the bars which is what I usually do.

As I mentioned, Kitaco make these but it appears that the 1" variant is only available via Honda at the moment. Hopefully as the CMX500/300 matures there will be more accessories at reasonable prices.

Cheers

Jim
Wow! That helmet lock price is more than double compared to Honda where I live.
Kenny G likes this.

Twizz
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-01-2017, 10:13 AM

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-01-2017, 10:33 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
replaced the links in the first post with the images that were linked using the 'insert image' tool
Kenny G, Lyoko, RebelRider and 1 others like this.

Keith from Maine USA - Rebel R1

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page