my added accessories and review - Honda Rebel 300 & 500 Forum
 26Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-28-2019, 07:47 PM Thread Starter
rws

my added accessories and review

The Baron Custom Accessories mini 2" tach is a nice unit but there was no place to fit it on the handlebars. I made a mount for it and wired it up. Not knowing if the Rebel was a single fire or dual fire ignition I wired it in a dual fire configuration...nice smooth needle operation but only read 1/2 rpm's. So I had to install the single fire adapter to get it to read correct rpm's. The needle bounced badly so called Baron Customs tech support and was told that this tach was a universal fit but would not work correctly on some bikes...I guess the Rebel is one of them. I asked if they had another adapter that would solve the problem...none at this time. So I packed up the tach and sent it back for a refund...too bad as it was a nice looking tach.

Shown mounted along with the Idea gear indicator.

Wiring was easy...taped into wires at the plug end of ECU.

Headlight grille

My homemade rack I made. (smaller one of the two I made)

Along with removing all the safety labels on the tank and swing arm I also took the one off the radiator cap.

The following pictures are of the Memphis Shades Big Shot quick detach windshield. My first thought was to only use it on long rides/trips but I like the way it fits and looks on the bike so will be leaving it on most of the time.

Shows the no tools required quick detach mechanism...just push the spring loaded latch and the windshield pops right off.

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-28-2019, 08:28 PM

Niceeee. Thanks for sharing. Liked your no tools quick detach Memphis. Might get one later . Got tired of wind buffeting my chest .
Kenny G and rws like this.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-28-2019, 08:54 PM

Garage
Nice, it all looks great.
rws likes this.

Only a fool would attempt it, and God help me, I am that fool.

2018 Rebel 500
post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-28-2019, 11:12 PM

Garage
good job, nice looking
Kenny G and rws like this.

2017 Honda Rebel 500
2018 KTM Duke 390
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-29-2019, 09:39 AM

That windshield looks awesome. It's enormous!
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-29-2019, 09:43 AM

I put on the same windshield awhile back with the intention of only using it on longer highway rides. I have to say, I fell in love with it and havenít taken it off once. It makes the ride so bloody comfortable sitting in the calm air pocket behind it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
rws likes this.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-29-2019, 09:49 AM

Garage
I like the rack. I don't have welding equipment but I should have talked to someone who does and gone that route. I have the Hepco & Becker Solorack which looks somewhat similar, but I don't like the fact that it bolts into the seat. Nice job!

I'll also toss out another recommendation for the Big Shot windshield. I have the same one -- well, the all-clear version -- and am very happy with it. I leave it off for the summer because: NJ humidity + NJ temperatures = Want Wind
rws likes this.

--Tad
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-29-2019, 09:54 AM

looks great! I have always wanted to take my stickers off but just haven't
rws likes this.

2016 Rebel 500 non ABS
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-29-2019, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdeffler View Post
I'll also toss out another recommendation for the Big Shot windshield. I have the same one -- well, the all-clear version -- and am very happy with it. I leave it off for the summer because: NJ humidity + NJ temperatures = Want Wind
I feel you. My Piaggio had an enormous aftermarket windshield installed which was really nice for wind control and warmth in cold times but here in the south it was broiling in the hot days, which are most days. It even blocked the wind from your hands, and my hands would get so hot I would hang them out in the wind to try to cool them off.

Unfortunately when changing the front tires I let the bike tip over in my garage (dumb mistake trying to get stands under the double front hubs) and cracked the plastic shield against my lawn mower. Luckily for me there was no other damage done and the original owner had given me the original shorty windscreen that came with the bike.

Now it's like driving a whole new bike with the new (old) windshield. It is much cooler riding and imo a littler cooler looking. I'm sure I will miss it when it starts getting colder, but it's so much more fun to ride now, mostly due to the new tires.

Cheers!
Kenny G likes this.
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-30-2019, 12:35 AM

The bike is looking nice, really like the windshield.
rws likes this.

Four wheels move the Body, Two wheels move the Soul