• 2 Post By tdeffler
  • 1 Post By Prgrmerror
  • 1 Post By tdeffler
  • 1 Post By tdeffler

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-26-2019, 04:45 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Experiences with SHAD cases

I just went through a month and half back-and-forth with SHAD over their hard-shell cases and thought I'd share some of the experiences in case it helps anyone else.

Right up front: the cases seemed quite high quality but there are a couple of caveats that the potential buyer should be aware of.

My use case was that I wanted a case that would hold my helmet (Shoei GT Air) since it has electronics on it. While I could lock the helmet with a helmet lock, that wouldn't stop someone from pulling the electronics out. And, occasionally, there were the circumstances where I would have preferred not to take my helmet with me. Anyway...

1) Regarding their SH35 cases, SHAD will tell you that (and I'm quoting here), "The SH35 is slightly smaller than the SH36 side cases. Yet both offer the the capacity to hold a full-face helmet." Do not pay attention to this. Of the four different full-face helmets we tried, including some smaller women's helmets, none would fit. The case just wasn't deep enough. We were able to fit a size Medium jet helmet one of the women had. Start with the SH36 if you have a full-face helmet even though it's $125 more.

2) Regarding their SH36 cases, SHAD's marketing literature says (and I'm quoting here), "...these Side Cases easily swallow a XXL Full Face Helmet..." Check this for your helmet. We were able to fit Small to Large helmets in it. We were able to fit some size XL and XXL helmets in it. A GT Air would barely squeeze in. A GT Air 2 would not fit without causing the opening to gap to the point that I believe water would have entered in a rainstorm. Under no circumstances would I describe it as "easily swallow". It was more like, "will fit with some real pressure on the lid". So, check your particular helmet. The trouble spots for me were the height of the helmet (that forehead vent on the Shoei is actually the highest point when it's sitting on the neck collar) and the width. We tried with the helmet upright and the helmet on its side. Results were largely identical, though on its side seemed to require slightly less force. Further, there is a small post for mounting their logo on the clamshell lid that sticks about 3/8" into the interior of the case. When you squeeze a helmet in, that post presses hard against the helmet (tested with transfer paper). I'm not certain it would do any damage, but I'm also not certain it wouldn't over time given that the force is concentrated on something the size of a pencil eraser.

3) Regarding their Rebel 300/500 mounting kit, they will tell you (and I'm quoting here), "The kit is complete." It is only complete if you have rear passenger footpegs. They attach their bracket onto the passenger peg holder that comes with that accessory kit.

Number 2 and Number 3 were too much for me since I wasn't changing helmets and I wasn't turning my ride into a two-person model. So I returned everything. This took copious back-and-forths because they required me to send pictures proving that their statements were incorrect.

As a side note, after this was all over and just out of curiousity, I had my buddy call up and ask whether the SH36 would hold his helmet and whether their kit was complete for the Rebel. Their answer was, "Yes and yes," with no qualifications about potential problems. Hence, this posting to try to provide some data to help others make a decision.

Again, I really liked the quality of their product and, if I didn't have a single-person Rebel and had a smaller helmet, I'd probably still have their kit.
Kenny G and Robble10 like this.

--Tad

Last edited by tdeffler; 06-26-2019 at 04:49 PM.
post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-26-2019, 05:10 PM

Garage
Did Shad refund your money?

Kenny G
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-26-2019, 06:15 PM

Garage
I had the shad SH36 cases on my CTX700. They barely held my XL HJC helmet. I wasnít comfortable they actually sealed. A better question would be why would anyone want these on a Rebel. Take a good look at them. They donít fit tight to the fender and therefore look like your bike is ready to float. Maybe they can fit a foldable paddle. I didnít have a great experience with the vendor either.
Kenny G likes this.
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-27-2019, 07:42 AM Thread Starter

Garage
@Kenny G - They did after quite a bit of back and forth. I ended up eating the $80 of shipping costs to return them despite their original promise that they'd refund it. At this point, if I never have to talk to Daniel again, I'm content.

@Prgrmerror - I was willing to live with that bloated look for the one or two long trips I might do if they had the capacity claimed. Day-to-day, I wouldn't want bags on my bike and would just remove them. The couple of things I need to carry go in a swingarm bag.
Kenny G likes this.

--Tad

Last edited by tdeffler; 06-27-2019 at 07:46 AM.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-29-2019, 04:48 PM Thread Starter

Garage
I gave up on the idea of storing my helmet in saddlebags. It would have been nice but I'm done with the hassle.

I ended up putting a set of Viking saddlebags on the bike. I think they go well with the look of the Rebel. I used Easy Brackets so they can pop off in seconds for day-to-day riding. The windshield is removable also, keeping things pretty stripped-down except for the swingarm bag. I wish I could have mounted the saddlebags slightly farther back, but the cutout for the shocks preventing me from attaching the Easy Bracket plates as far forward as I would have liked. No big deal.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	withbags.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	316.9 KB
ID:	28695  
Kenny G likes this.

--Tad

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page